Travel

Cheap flights to Beijing from Vancouver and best place for buying RMBs?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 2nd, 2007 2:47 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23201 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore
Ryu69 wrote: I think I understand about you going to HK. What I was recommending is to fly to beijing from vancouver and then have a 2 month (or whatever the time you need) stopover in Beijing, then fly to HK. Then you can fly without stopover from HK to Vancouver with a connection in Beijing via Air China. If they let you have the stopover for that long, then the cost of the flight will be the same as if there wasn't a stopover. I am suggesting this as I don't think there is an airline that flies from Beijing to Vancouver with a stopover in HK as you will have to pay for 2 one way flights, but Air China does a stop over in Beijing when going to HK. But not sure how long the stopover can be. I'm babbling a bit, as I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. But yeah, Air China is basically a budget airline. I would go with Cathay if you don't mind paying the extra money.

as for where to change money. I would do it in Vancouver. I usually go to Vancouver Bullion Downtown or on Grandville as they are pretty competive. As for how much you should bring to Beijing? depends on what you want to do. For me, a tour to Great wall was about 70 CDN a person. same with the other tour of tienimen square and the other shrines. not sure what else you want to see in Beijing. Food is very cheap if you don't go to the restaurants geared towards foreinger. you can go have dinner and lots to drink for 10 bucks canadian. don't eat at western type places like KFC as it is very expensive. if you go clubbing, it is about 10 CDN to get in (well at least where i went to) and drinks are decent. we ususally bought a bottle for about 100 CDN and shared that amoung our group. i suggest bringing money and only using credit card at non shady places as there is no surcharge but the exchange rate sucks. you can always use the bank machine too to take out money if you are afraid to bring too much money. one thing you should try is the chicken burger at 7-11 in beijing (7-11 is everywhere in HK and Beijing) as it is a great snack after a night of drinking.

I use vancouver bullion myself when I buy US currency. There is this part of me that is not comfortable with bringing so much cash to a third world country.

I think I get what you are saying now. I'll check things out. Thanks for the help.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2003
1529 posts
294 upvotes
Sgt_Strider wrote: I use vancouver bullion myself when I buy US currency. There is this part of me that is not comfortable with bringing so much cash to a third world country.

I think I get what you are saying now. I'll check things out. Thanks for the help.
as long as your bank card works internationally, just go to a big bank in beijing and you can take out money. shouldn't be a problem but you will probably be charged service fee from the beijing bank and your bank, but not too sure on this though. I have not used a bank machine in beijing before, so not sure how it works so i think you should find out from your bank and how banks in beijing work, but i saw bank machines there when i went to change money at the bank of china, and it seems like a normal bank machine when i looked at it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6651 posts
995 upvotes
GTA
$1300++ for a ticket is too much, well depend on what class your buying, i just bought ottawa-Vancouver-HKG may 21 and back july 21 for little over $900 on AC A class
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23201 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore
greg123 wrote: $1300++ for a ticket is too much, well depend on what class your buying, i just bought ottawa-Vancouver-HKG may 21 and back july 21 for little over $900 on AC A class
Where did you bought your ticket?