• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2018 2:39 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
13761 posts
5424 upvotes

Cheap flights from Toronto to Orlando?

I'm planning a trip this summer and just by searching, the cheapest I can find flying out of Toronto to Orlando is around $2200CAD return for four people. If I fly out of Buffalo it costs $1600CAD. What do you guys think? Is it worth it driving to Buffalo to save $600? Do you guys know of any cheap flight websites, stores, or airlines? Any insight would be great. I don't travel much. Thanks!
I am a Public Mobile customer.
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5288 posts
2918 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
What airlines are you currently looking at for $ 2200 vs $ 1600 ?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
13761 posts
5424 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Jun 9th, 2018 8:33 pm
What airlines are you currently looking at for $ 2200 vs $ 1600 ?
Air Canada, it's actually $2300 out of Toronto but the flight times are inconvenient.

The flight times out of Buffalo are better. It's with Southwest airlines.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5288 posts
2918 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Personally, i’d fly Air Canada sooner than i’d fly with Southwest
Primarily due to the difference in their Safety Records
https://www.airlineratings.com/airline-ratings/?l=A

The big advantage to Buffalo is the ease to bringing stuff home from America by car
More so if you stay over an extra day to do some shopping stateside
Booze, Gasoline, Groceries, etc

Easy enough to do considering there are a lot of hotels in the area that offer up FREE Park & Fly stateside options

Otherwise... Buffalo is a pain when you add in the drive, parking etc
Although better in the summertime than winter
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
13761 posts
5424 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Jun 9th, 2018 8:49 pm
Personally, i’d fly Air Canada sooner than i’d fly with Southwest
Primarily due to the difference in their Safety Records
https://www.airlineratings.com/airline-ratings/?l=A

The big advantage to Buffalo is the ease to bringing stuff home from America by car
More so if you stay over an extra day to do some shopping stateside
Booze, Gasoline, Groceries, etc

Easy enough to do considering there are a lot of hotels in the area that offer up FREE Park & Fly stateside options

Otherwise... Buffalo is a pain when you add in the drive, parking etc
Although better in the summertime than winter
Thanks.

Actually I found the flights even cheaper out of Buffalo for around $1400CAD return for all four of us. However they are not direct flights and it looks like it's going to cost $200USD extra for our baggage unless we can travel really light.

We're not planning to bring a lot of stuff back. But to save close to $1000, I will absolutely fly out of Buffalo.
Oct 26, 2007
147 posts
65 upvotes
Try Frontier airlines out of BUF, they have direct flights. I recommend signing up for their discount club, the additional savings you'd receive for 4 people outweighs the annual cost!
Last edited by negotiater on Jun 11th, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2004
1022 posts
164 upvotes
For Personal/Family trips, I fly exclusively out of BUF. You can check either Southwest or JetBlue for cheap flights to MCO/FLL/MIA.

Not only do I consistently find savings for four people to be in the CAD$1000 range, I find the experience at BUF to be far more pleasant than YYZ. The airport is a fraction of the size, so time from front door to gate is minimal, unlike at YYZ where I feel like I have to walk for miles. Security usually flies through, and of course, there's no Customs to deal with at the airport. We typically drive in the night before, stay at one of the hotels across the street (Park and Stay deals can be found for ~$150), and use the hotel shuttle to get to the airport in the morning.

I also find flight times -- direct, no stop-overs -- from BUF to be more favorable, typically leaving earlier in the morning so that I get to enjoy a full day in the sun at the front-end of my vacation. Returning home is often faster, or at least about the same, depending on the in-bound Canada Customs lineups. Driving over the border from Fort Erie is usually pretty fast.

Try it once... you'll never fly out of YYZ again.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5463 posts
1171 upvotes
Markham
Password wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 2:15 pm
For Personal/Family trips, I fly exclusively out of BUF. You can check either Southwest or JetBlue for cheap flights to MCO/FLL/MIA.

Not only do I consistently find savings for four people to be in the CAD$1000 range, I find the experience at BUF to be far more pleasant than YYZ. The airport is a fraction of the size, so time from front door to gate is minimal, unlike at YYZ where I feel like I have to walk for miles. Security usually flies through, and of course, there's no Customs to deal with at the airport. We typically drive in the night before, stay at one of the hotels across the street (Park and Stay deals can be found for ~$150), and use the hotel shuttle to get to the airport in the morning.

I also find flight times -- direct, no stop-overs -- from BUF to be more favorable, typically leaving earlier in the morning so that I get to enjoy a full day in the sun at the front-end of my vacation. Returning home is often faster, or at least about the same, depending on the in-bound Canada Customs lineups. Driving over the border from Fort Erie is usually pretty fast.

Try it once... you'll never fly out of YYZ again.
+1 I did exactly the same thing, drove in day before and stayed the night (the one night accomodation included two weeks of parking), hotel shuttle to airport, flew with Southwest. I did curbside luggage checkin as well.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Nov 11, 2011
288 posts
387 upvotes
ROCKWOOD
I will echo @Password and @gr8dlr above in that Buffalo is honestly so much easier to navigate and an over all better experience than flying from Pearson

We have been flying out of Buffalo for well over 15 years now and it is really well worth it. The only time I think twice is the dead of winter because of snow and how Buffalo can get a lot more snow then the GTA.

We even flew out of Detroit a couple of years back. I got an insane deal on Frontier of $29 ROUND TRIP on Black Friday for December flights so the four of us gave it a shot and it was actually an amazing trip. The only down side was the 3 hour drive to Detroit each way, just a little too long for me whereas Buffalo is only about 1 hour from where i live in the the west end. It can take longer than that to get to Pearson because of traffic.

We have done the overnights at hotels in Buffalo to get the free parking and we have parked on the airport lot when we had mid-day flight time
Check out the lower right of this link for the airport for a coupon

http://parking.buffaloairport.com/

or this one from Peace Bridge Duty Free (you have to go into the Duty Free store to get it)

https://www.dutyfree.ca/travel-exclusiv ... ng-coupons
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5463 posts
1171 upvotes
Markham
alohamom wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 1:28 pm
I will echo @Password and @gr8dlr above in that Buffalo is honestly so much easier to navigate and an over all better experience than flying from Pearson

We have been flying out of Buffalo for well over 15 years now and it is really well worth it. The only time I think twice is the dead of winter because of snow and how Buffalo can get a lot more snow then the GTA.

We even flew out of Detroit a couple of years back. I got an insane deal on Frontier of $29 ROUND TRIP on Black Friday for December flights so the four of us gave it a shot and it was actually an amazing trip. The only down side was the 3 hour drive to Detroit each way, just a little too long for me whereas Buffalo is only about 1 hour from where i live in the the west end. It can take longer than that to get to Pearson because of traffic.

We have done the overnights at hotels in Buffalo to get the free parking and we have parked on the airport lot when we had mid-day flight time
Check out the lower right of this link for the airport for a coupon

http://parking.buffaloairport.com/

or this one from Peace Bridge Duty Free (you have to go into the Duty Free store to get it)

https://www.dutyfree.ca/travel-exclusiv ... ng-coupons
forgot to add driving thru border patrol is way better than going thru it at the airport where you have to fill out those questionnaires.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
5078 posts
1681 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Pearson's a very busy airport. Flying out of smaller US airports, especially direct (I've done SYR-MCO several times) is cheaper and much more pleasant.

I wouldn't necessarily want to go to Orlando in summer, mind you, but I know some have no choice (teachers, kids only off in summer, etc.).
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3876 posts
1091 upvotes
Moncton
Surprised no one mentioned flying out of Niagara Falls NY: Allegiant and Spirit. Keep in mind they charge for both carry-on and checked luggage (and for drinks). Allegiant flies to Sanford 54 km north of Orlando International MCO.

They have Disney in Paris if you want a time of year appropriate vacation.

Thunder storms are usually what cause delays in summer. They usually happen in the late afternoon.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Aug 24, 2011
307 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 12:38 pm
+1 I did exactly the same thing, drove in day before and stayed the night (the one night accomodation included two weeks of parking), hotel shuttle to airport, flew with Southwest. I did curbside luggage checkin as well.
Do you mind sharing the hotel name?

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5288 posts
2918 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
hallieliu wrote:
Jun 17th, 2018 3:37 pm
Do you mind sharing the hotel name?

Thanks
Just in case @gr8dlr doesn’t get back to you...

This is uber common in cross border cities now... Plattsburgh, Syracuse, Buffalo etc

Even places like the Super8s are offering Stay, Park & Fly options / packages.

Pick out a hotel you like, and ask.

Some charge a low rate for a week’s parking, while others will let you park for FREE as long as you stay one night with them (usually before)

And even the budget places in these cities, tend to have Airport Shuttles, cause they recognize how many Cdns are coming stateside to fly... it’s become a key component of their biz model
Aug 24, 2011
307 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote:
Jun 17th, 2018 4:54 pm
Just in case @gr8dlr doesn’t get back to you...

This is uber common in cross border cities now... Plattsburgh, Syracuse, Buffalo etc

Even places like the Super8s are offering Stay, Park & Fly options / packages.

Pick out a hotel you like, and ask.

Some charge a low rate for a week’s parking, while others will let you park for FREE as long as you stay one night with them (usually before)

And even the budget places in these cities, tend to have Airport Shuttles, cause they recognize how many Cdns are coming stateside to fly... it’s become a key component of their biz model
Thank you for the info. The last time I stayed in a Buffalo hotel is 12 years ago.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)