Cheap Home Phone Service Provider?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2019 9:10 am
[OP]
Jun 14, 2017
37 posts
9 upvotes

Cheap Home Phone Service Provider?

Anyone know of any cheap services where I can keep my current home phone number?

I was originally going to go with Teksavvy for $10/month but the rep said I needed to get their internet service as well which I don't want.

Thanks in advance!
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2002
2482 posts
421 upvotes
Burlington
There are a several good threads. Search up voip.ms
Not your standard VoIP. Different and novel options & advice for my RFD friends.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7601 posts
1483 upvotes
Talk to your current internet provider and ask them how much to add the home phone, say Teksavvy is offer for $10 ??
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Apr 9, 2006
52 posts
5 upvotes
Ottawa, Ontario
I second voip.ms if you have a bit of patience in sorting out the hardware configuration.
Dec 2, 2012
24 posts
24 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Last I checked Koodo offers $5/month for 12 months, then it goes up to $20. I’ve been with Koodo for 2 years and even though it was supposed to, the $15 monthly credit never expired
Jan 4, 2014
113 posts
44 upvotes
Paris
OGFree99 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 5:08 pm
Last I checked Koodo offers $5/month for 12 months, then it goes up to $20. I’ve been with Koodo for 2 years and even though it was supposed to, the $15 monthly credit never expired
Plus a $65 onetime fee (Hub + SIM card)
Jan 4, 2014
113 posts
44 upvotes
Paris
No_Style wrote:
Aug 30th, 2019 5:59 pm
I second voip.ms if you have a bit of patience in sorting out the hardware configuration.
I used voip.ms a few years ago for a non-profit I was helping. It did the job IF you can sort out the configuration as stated. It's a challange ofor some people, but lots of online help around. So hands down - voip.ms
Dec 25, 2017
970 posts
698 upvotes
If your within the TELUS area, POTS is available for $10/mo. Try to convince them to give you $10/mo for six months so you become a customer. When the promo's due, convince them to switch you to Loyalty Home Phone Lite, which is permanently $10/mo and available from loyalty only.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
6424 posts
1470 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
I use voip.ms at two locations. It does require some configuring. I wouldn’t recommend it for someone will little patience unless they have someone with more patience who will do their setup.

Once it is set up though, it is difficult to beat their prices.
Earthlings, you're evicted.
You are not getting the damage deposit back.

God
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
8535 posts
1473 upvotes
Winnipeg
IslandTourGuide wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 9:45 pm
Plus a $65 onetime fee (Hub + SIM card)
I have a hub the first one from fido from a rfd post way back when they debuted. Are those locked? unlockable?
May 21, 2019
42 posts
8 upvotes
London
I set my parents up with freephoneline.ca

There is a large thread here on RFD detailing it. Anyways, after about $200 you will have no monthly fee's and service, with any internet connection.
Looking for a Public Mobile promotion?
$38
5GB Data
Unlimited Canada Wide Talk
Unlimited International Text
Jul 15, 2009
248 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
I got my parents voip.ms, but somehow they were still racking up large bills with calls overseas. I'm not sure if I set something up wrong, or voip.ms charges for some connections (like to cell phones overseas) are actually expensive.

Anyway I switched them to Vonage with an unlimited overseas plan for $15/month (billed $17.02 total per month). I just need to call in every six months and threaten to cancel and they renew the plan. Works for me.

Also make sure to use nomorobo to get rid of spam callers. It's free for a home line and works with vonage/voip.ms and many other services. It's an absolute life changer!