None
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2828 posts
1032 upvotes
Vaughan

Cheap laptop for a new user

Hi all,

I'm searching for a cheap laptop for my dad who is just learning to use a computer. Willing to spend around $300ish and hoping for some good deals b/c it's black Friday week. Usage will be light b/c he's never really used a computer before so nothing fancy is necessary. No netbooks please (if they still make those). Any suggestions? Where should I be keeping an eye out for deals this week? Any particular stores from last year show signs of decent price drops this week?

Thanks.
18 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15213 posts
1671 upvotes
Markham
look for a 15" celeron

those get real cheap from time to time... same price as netbooks...
ShadowVlican
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2828 posts
1032 upvotes
Vaughan
How are these 2 set to go on sale on Friday at staples:

$379
Edit: saw the second was a netbook, pass. How's the top one?

Compared to this one at $339 now (before BF).
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2828 posts
1032 upvotes
Vaughan
My dad is just learning to use a computer so i wouldnt want to spend the extra $100-200 on this Acer. It's over kill for him.

Is the Acer i listed from Staples really that much more powerful than the lenovo? Worth the extra $40?
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
2379 posts
504 upvotes
Vancouver
d_source wrote: Hi all,

I'm searching for a cheap laptop for my dad who is just learning to use a computer. Willing to spend around $300ish and hoping for some good deals b/c it's black Friday week. Usage will be light b/c he's never really used a computer before so nothing fancy is necessary. No netbooks please (if they still make those). Any suggestions? Where should I be keeping an eye out for deals this week? Any particular stores from last year show signs of decent price drops this week?

Thanks.
Hi,

I would get the Lenovo because it's got Win 8 & USB 3. You will have to disable most of Win 8's features to make the learning curve flatter for your father. What kind of software will you be putting on the laptop for your father?
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2010
3206 posts
1739 upvotes
Markham
My vote is for the Lenovo too. Great deal for the specs.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2828 posts
1032 upvotes
Vaughan
Not really sure what kind of software a new user would want or need other than surfing the internet. Any recommendations?

BTW - It doesn't have to be between those 2 lappies. Anything within price range is up for grabs.

I can always take his Win8 installation and slap it on my win7 laptop and then add my win7 to his machine if its too difficult for him to understand. I assume the library classes he is taking is on win7.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2828 posts
1032 upvotes
Vaughan
ARGH! Wanted to buy the Lenovo from Costco today and of course it's sold out! Now i need to start from scrath again. The BB and FS flyers show nothing of value in terms of laptops for friday. Any other options someone can give?
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
1228 posts
696 upvotes
mississauga
i would suggest anything with win 8, but get him a hard copy or ebook for win8, it will make it a lot easier
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
windows 8 metro ui is horrid.....

@OP

Libreoffice (if you need microsoft office like alternative??)
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2828 posts
1032 upvotes
Vaughan
How's this ASUS laptop from Newegg for $299?

And how does it compare to the Dell deal coming Friday for $349 (middle laptop in linked page).

Is it just me or does it seem like there aren't any good laptop deals on BF this year?
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2828 posts
1032 upvotes
Vaughan
The G580 at costco is back in stock for $339. Which is better this costco version or the futureshop N580 version for a few bucks more at $369? Processor on the costco version seems better but i don't know much about these pre-iCore processors. Other than that there doesn't seem like much of a difference so the costco version is a no brainer right?
Nov 3, 2006
273 posts
1 upvote
Is the G580 available instore at Costco?
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2828 posts
1032 upvotes
Vaughan
No they don't sell Lenovo products in store, only online. At least that's what a sales associate told my dad when he went in looking for this machine.
Nov 3, 2006
273 posts
1 upvote
Thanks d source I was about to pull the trigger on this deal also
now I have to start all over also! I shouldn't have hesitated.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
@OP

Try Lenovo EPP (Google REDFLAGDEALS FNDEPP)