• Oct 28th, 2011 6:34 am
Tags:
None
Sep 18, 2011
6 posts
OTTAWA

Cheap Nespresso machine –*Where to buy?

Hi,

I'm quite new to Canada and therefore I wanted to ask you where I could get a Nespresso machine for a reasonable price (the simplest solution will do; that is, the manual one)?

I'm used to paying like 130 bucks including tax in my home country, so that's why I am SLIGHTLY surprised by the Canadian prices...

Thanks in advance!

Matthias
17 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1171 posts
102 upvotes
Vancouver
softdown3 wrote:
Sep 19th, 2011 3:37 pm
Hi,

I'm quite new to Canada and therefore I wanted to ask you where I could get a Nespresso machine for a reasonable price (the simplest solution will do; that is, the manual one)?

I'm used to paying like 130 bucks including tax in my home country, so that's why I am SLIGHTLY surprised by the Canadian prices...

Thanks in advance!

Matthias

Why not just buy an actual espresso maker? The cost would be very minimal compared to the amount of money you are going to be spending for those individual pods that they use. Nothing beats and espresso made from freshly ground beans :)
[OP]
Sep 18, 2011
6 posts
OTTAWA
That's probably the best solution...

Do you have any suggestions? I'll be studying here till April 2012, so it should be something I could leave behind without a bad conscience about the money spent on it.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
jumbojones wrote:
Sep 19th, 2011 8:12 pm
What about the MyPressi and real beans?

So instead of buying nespresso cups, he'd have to buy gas cartridges for an otherwise extremely limited device i.e. cant even foam milk? Doesnt seem like much of an improvement to me.
My guess is Matthias comes from europe where Nespresso is huge.
Their cafe/retail store on Champs d'elysee in Paris is a fantastic example of branding/marketing. The one we have in the basement of The Bay in Toronto is a joke...not much more than a glossy kiosk.

Watch for the friends & family deals on the Nespresso website....they come up a couple times a year for some good deals on machines. Someone on this site will invariably post it when it occurs.
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
[OP]
Sep 18, 2011
6 posts
OTTAWA
Hi Stealth,

Good guess (Germany); the Nespresso store in Munich is actually situated in one of the most expensive areas of the city and huge, as well. Plus, they even got a Nespresso café in yet another expensive area, where they serve their addictive beverages.

Thanks for the Nespresso Friends&Family suggestion, I'll follow that.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
1661 posts
373 upvotes
Oakville
stealth wrote:
Sep 29th, 2011 1:05 am
So instead of buying nespresso cups, he'd have to buy gas cartridges for an otherwise extremely limited device i.e. cant even foam milk? Doesnt seem like much of an improvement to me.
My guess is Matthias comes from europe where Nespresso is huge.
Most Europeans I know only drink espresso so the ability of foaming milk useless, hence the suggestion. Unless you're having someone from Germany ship you cheap/fake Nespresso cups buying beans and using the MyPressi to me would be the most cost effective solution, plus you get a better espresso.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
8555 posts
583 upvotes
GTA
Actually, the non-nespresso pods aren't even cheaper compared to the prices we pay here. You can get pods for 60 cents each here , no tax. In Europe, the Sarah Lee or other brands were going for more than that in Euros. I tried the Sarah Lee pod thanks to a user on RFD and I am going to stick to the Nespresso pods. I would like to try one of the refillable pods though just to see how it works.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
jumbojones wrote:
Sep 29th, 2011 8:26 am
Most Europeans I know only drink espresso so the ability of foaming milk useless, hence the suggestion. Unless you're having someone from Germany ship you cheap/fake Nespresso cups buying beans and using the MyPressi to me would be the most cost effective solution, plus you get a better espresso.

I dunno still seems really gimmicky to me, like the handpresso, and the gas cartridges are a deal breaker IMO. And what if you have guests that do want a cappuccino, latte etc?
$.60 per cup isnt that unaffordable, IMO for a Nespresso, which after my extensive use of machines, is a very easy and consistently good cup of espresso, without the expense and real estate of having a grinder. Believe me, I've been down the road of having the PID'd Rancilio Silvia and various other machines. for a busy person like myself, in a 1 coffee drinker hime, it just aint worth it. But YMMV.
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
[OP]
Sep 18, 2011
6 posts
OTTAWA
The 65 (Canadian) cents per capsule aren't the problem; here on campus, I pay 1,80 or so at Starbucks for an espresso, so I'd be more than happy to pay that. It's the machine, which I'd need to leave behind after my exchange year (I couldn't use it in Europe, even if I wanted to - 110 vs. 230 volts) and that's the deal breaker for me. If it cost as much as 100 Euros (140 CAD), I'd spend it, but the cheapest is around 199 + tax. Also, I don't think that the demand for Nespresso is that high in Canada that I could count on selling it on ebay.ca next year.

I won't need a milk frother, by the way. I like my espresso black with a bit of sugar.

As for the Handpresso, I don't like the idea, sorry. Especially the gas cartridges...
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2005
3739 posts
25 upvotes
I don't know about coffee makers and the likes, but in the world of electronics power supplies have been switching for quite a while now. That means they can automatically handle 110-220v, provided you have a plug adapter. You should check the specs of the machines you're looking to buy, maybe they are like that as well.
[OP]
Sep 18, 2011
6 posts
OTTAWA
Hi nsd,

Thanks for the suggestion. But in this case, my machine(s) back home can't handle 110 Volts. Also, I think this might not be possible/too expensive for machines that consume as much power as coffee machines (around 1200 Watts).
Aug 8, 2006
108 posts
5 upvotes
Halifax
Home Outfitters over in Dartmouth, NS has a Nespresso Essenza C100 + Aerocinno Plus bundle on for $199. I'm not sure it's chain wide, but it's worth checking out at your local Home Outfitters. I kinda want a Lattismo Plus for a bit better (one hopes) steamed milk.
Sep 18, 2006
238 posts
8 upvotes
softdown3 wrote:
Sep 29th, 2011 3:10 pm
Hi nsd,

Thanks for the suggestion. But in this case, my machine(s) back home can't handle 110 Volts. Also, I think this might not be possible/too expensive for machines that consume as much power as coffee machines (around 1200 Watts).

buy it and I will buy it back from you when you leave the country? ok?
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
1661 posts
373 upvotes
Oakville
stealth wrote:
Sep 29th, 2011 11:22 am
I dunno still seems really gimmicky to me, like the handpresso, and the gas cartridges are a deal breaker IMO.
Gimmicky? And I guess a Nespresso machine, a machine that pulls shots of of preground espresso from an aluminum cup isn't? I guess we won't even talk about the chemex, french press or aeropress either...
stealth wrote:
Sep 29th, 2011 11:22 am
And what if you have guests that do want a cappuccino, latte etc?
I have one of these, works great, doesn't use steam so there's no watered down taste. And in addition to the fresh ground espresso you have with the MyPressi, you can use fresh milk instead of powdered...but I know fresh can be quite gimmicky for some.

https://www.frothaulait.com/
× < >