• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2006 1:31 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 10, 2005
431 posts
7 upvotes

Cheap Nice Clothing?

I'm a guy with crap fashion sense. I'll be entering the job market soon and would like to do a complete makeover of my wardrobe to 'nice' looking clothing rather than Zellers bargain bin (99% of my wardrobe).

Can anybody recommend stores with great looking clothing, 'durable'/will-last-long, CHEAPPP, and with helpful staff?

I heard Dufferin Mall's a great spot for cheap clothing stores, can anybody confirm this?

Any stores/areas must be TTC accessible (ideally subway).
17 replies
Sep 25, 2005
326 posts
You may be hard-pressed to find cheap, good-looking clothes. Since it seems that you haven't spent much on your wardrobe thus far, I would recommend investing in a couple of good quality pieces, rather than a lot of lesser-quality clothes. Especially if you're just entering the job market, you want the clothes to look good and last a long time.
The type of store you're looking for also depends on your style. I assume you're quite young, considering you're just entering the job market. I like Zara's for men. You could also try Tristan and America, The Suit Exchange (if you're looking for suits), and even department stores like the Bay and Sears. They are reasonably priced for fairly good quality.

Good luck!
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1025 posts
104 upvotes
Maple
I think one of the essential things to look for when upgrading your wardrobe is quality. Cost/benefit ratio, good quality clothes just last longer. Plus, close up, the difference is often noticable.

I would wait for a good sale and stock up a few key pieces like the other poster said. Stuff like the blazers, coats, pants. The shirts/sweaters/ties I imagine you could mix and match with cheaper stuff?

Weren't there posts in the Hot Deals section about The Bay and Banana Republic having huge sales?
Aug 10, 2005
431 posts
7 upvotes
i'm 21, an average looking asian lad. and single.

i like casual loose clothing. i don't like feeling restricted when doing random movements.

i read up on the banana+bay/sears sales. they seem pretty good. how can i tell if something is good quality and will last long? versus something that will dissolve the moment water gets on it.

i have a bad string of backpack experiences. they all had plastic lining on the inside, but it would deteriorate and flake off into dust, getting into everything inside the bag. but they were cheap!! :D
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1025 posts
104 upvotes
Maple
Go try it on, feel the fabric. Look at the stitches, if they are even etc. Look at the details like the lining, the buttons etc.
Apr 11, 2006
96 posts
Toronto
Imo, Guys wearing Tommy Hilfiger vests/sweaters do tend to look pretty smart too...
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2004
2288 posts
Try the outlets (Vaughan Mills, Heartland etc). Stores like Mexx always have pretty nice stuff that won't leave a hole in your pocket. Winners is also a pretty good bet, and so is Designer Depot at Vaughan Mills.
Feb 24, 2005
107 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
If you can, find a girl to go shopping with you. They will tell you if things look ok or not...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8683 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
You could try H&M. It's cheap... but can't guarantee it'll last long.

Or if you have a friend in Hong Kong, their stuff is REALLY cheap and quite durable for the price.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2004
1762 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
phillr wrote: I'm a guy with crap fashion sense. I'll be entering the job market soon and would like to do a complete makeover of my wardrobe to 'nice' looking clothing rather than Zellers bargain bin (99% of my wardrobe).

Can anybody recommend stores with great looking clothing, 'durable'/will-last-long, CHEAPPP, and with helpful staff?

I heard Dufferin Mall's a great spot for cheap clothing stores, can anybody confirm this?

Any stores/areas must be TTC accessible (ideally subway).
Dufferin Mall? I've been there for years and only liked shopping there when I haven't developed a fashion sense yet.

In your case, D-Mall would only have the following useful stores for business casual:

-Winners
-Moores
-Tip Tip Tailors (Very low quality, not worth it IMO)
-Le Chateau
-H&M (Don't remember if they had a section for suits/dress shirts/blazers)

I'd just go to Gap for stuff like dress shirts and slacks, although I've only bought casual clothes from them, I don't know how good their quality is for the more formal stuff.

You can also try Tom's Place in Kensington market, I've never been there, but it's like a Winners for men's business clothing.
Paulfistinyourface wrote:This is RFD. High moral values are way down the ladder of acceptability around here. It's all about stepping on your grandmothers throat to save a buck.
Heatware
Jun 11, 2006
427 posts
North York. Toronto
Kensington Market is a good choice for casual / vintage wear (if you have that style).

Zara is a nice place for some cheap business attire (catch them when they are on sale or something).
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2006
1808 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
eXp_ wrote: eBay... now don't look down on eBay. I'm suggesting Bape, Bapesta, BBC, Baby Milo clothing. modern urban streetwear from japan (all made in japan, if china or other cntrys its fake). tshirts range from $80 usd to $500 usd, for hoodies $500 usd to $3000 usd. and shoes (bapesta) $250 usd to $800 usd. pm me, i have few bape ts (100% authentic or 3x your money back, from $80 usd bapestas as well).
LOL...., no hoodies are worth more than $1500 USD max.... and bapestas for $800??? more like $150-$200 USD max... even roadies aren't $250 USD....

and OP said, cheap nice clothing, i dun think bape would be a brand that is considered "cheap nice clothing"....

as chizo suggested, winners sometimes has affordable decent clothes... check out ur local club monaco / mexx / h&m / gap store :)
Oct 3, 2005
147 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto, ON
llAPll wrote: and OP said, cheap nice clothing, i dun think bape would be a brand that is considered "cheap nice clothing"....
OP also metioned looking to enter the workforce, so unless they're looking for a career in hiphop, bape wouldn't be my first choice. :cheesygri
Jan 10, 2006
224 posts
Markham
i guess a "nice" suit and a different collction of shirts and maybe 1 or 2 jackets would be a good starting point. Most pants are somewhat similar, and people generally look less at ur pants then they do at your upper body. I'd suggest you pay a little for a good suit that could last for a long time then a realatively cheap one thats got bad stitching and bad cutting. Harry Rosen would definaitly be my first choice. Their sales rep are really nice and aren't pushy at all^^
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2004
2813 posts
26 upvotes
Sears outlet stores have great deals on "decent" quality clothing. Last time I bought clothing there I got some "business casual" type clothes. Four pairs of "Roots" cotton pants and four shirts for about $80. The suits and jackets can be tough to find just the right size but if you do they are cheaper and probably better quality than you can find at places like Tip Top (the worst, stay away) International Clothiers and Moores.

Sears Outlet Stores
Ontario - Toronto Area
Rexdale
2200 Islington Avenue North
Rexdale, ON
M9W 3W5
Phone: (416) 401-4545
Fax: (416) 744-2722 Brampton, Bramrose Centre
295 Queen Street East
Brampton, ON
L6W 3R1
Phone: (905) 450-7662