Travel

Cheap and nice hotel in Manhattan - May 16-19?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2015 1:14 am
Banned
Dec 22, 2012
141 posts
39 upvotes
Montreal

Cheap and nice hotel in Manhattan - May 16-19?

Hi guys!

My family is planning a short trip to NY this May (16-19).
We are 3 adults (me, wife and 18yo daughter)
We are renting a car and driving from Montreal, and will leave the car in a parking lot, so we do not have to drive in NY.

Can you tell me any nice and cheap hotel in the island of Manhattan so we can walk and use the subway from point of interest to point of interest? We've been there before and we would like to get a nice and cheap hotel anywhere close to the central park or to the south. We really just need a place to take a nice bath and sleep between one day and another, as we spend most of the day walking and touristing.
Shared bathrooms are a NO-NO for us.

I've been looking at priceline.com but there is no way to tell them that we are going to be 3 adults...

Thank you very much!
24 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
Just curious though, what do you mean by cheap? When I stayed in Manhattan last time, I got a nice room for $140 per night. I consider that cheap for Manhattan.
Dec 8, 2014
73 posts
85 upvotes
Kanata, ON
daniel3ub wrote: nice and cheap hotel in the island of Manhattan
These things do not go together.

You might have better success with Hotwire. They guarantee a room that will accomodate the number of people you specify, though there have been reports of sofabeds / pullouts being used to meet this.

http://helpcenter.hotwire.com/articles/ ... ng-double?

I've been happy with my results through Hotwire's opaque system, but I do a fair bit of research in advance to know what I'm likely to get. Take a look a betterbidding's hotel lists and amenities to figure out what you're likely (though not guaranteed) to get. If you've never used betterbidding + hotwire, it will probably take a couple of hours to figure out what your options are.

If those don't meet your price point, you might look at Brooklyn or Long Island City. Both are an easy subway/cab ride to pretty much anywhere in Manhattan, and are ok areas themselves.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
Shaner wrote: When I stayed in Manhattan last time, I got a nice room for $140 per night. I consider that cheap for Manhattan.
That is very cheap for Manhattan - how large was the room? Which hotel chain?
Banned
Dec 22, 2012
141 posts
39 upvotes
Montreal
Shaner wrote: It was this one
http://www.nighthoteltimessquare.com/

The room was very small, but nice and a great location
Thank you very much for the link! But they say $550 per room per night for the period I am looking for. OUCH!
When did you stay there?

Thanks!
Banned
Dec 22, 2012
141 posts
39 upvotes
Montreal
Shaner wrote: Just curious though, what do you mean by cheap? When I stayed in Manhattan last time, I got a nice room for $140 per night. I consider that cheap for Manhattan.
That's indeed a super nice price!! Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
You are still far out before deals start appearing. Keep an eye on www.travelzoo.ca, they always have NYC specials.

Also www.lmtclub.com. You can find a free membership code by searching the net.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Banned
Dec 22, 2012
141 posts
39 upvotes
Montreal
boyfrombarrie wrote: These things do not go together.
Yes, they do. It always depends on how nice and how cheap you want to go.
Of course you will not find a 5 star hotel for $50/night, but we can find some 3 star hotel for $150/night. This is nice and cheap for me.
Maybe I should have used "not expensive" instead of cheap.
boyfrombarrie wrote: You might have better success with Hotwire. They guarantee a room that will accomodate the number of people you specify, though there have been reports of sofabeds / pullouts being used to meet this.

http://helpcenter.hotwire.com/articles/ ... ng-double?

I've been happy with my results through Hotwire's opaque system, but I do a fair bit of research in advance to know what I'm likely to get. Take a look a betterbidding's hotel lists and amenities to figure out what you're likely (though not guaranteed) to get. If you've never used betterbidding + hotwire, it will probably take a couple of hours to figure out what your options are.

If those don't meet your price point, you might look at Brooklyn or Long Island City. Both are an easy subway/cab ride to pretty much anywhere in Manhattan, and are ok areas themselves.
I didn't know of this betterbidding. Gonna have a look at it. Thank you very much!
Dec 26, 2009
694 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
There are some good deals on Groupon just not sure if dates match.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4832 posts
759 upvotes
Just curious why you're so insistent on being in Manhattan?
I mean if you expand your area to somewhere like Queens for example you'll have more options not to mention you can get around by subway.

I stayed by Queens Bridge/Queensboro and was able to be pretty much anywhere within 30mins by subway.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Last time I went to Manhattan I just stayed in Newark and drove over. Hotels were significantly cheaper there and the drive was fairly short. Just have to pay the bridge toll.
Banned
Dec 22, 2012
141 posts
39 upvotes
Montreal
Raggie wrote: You are still far out before deals start appearing. Keep an eye on www.travelzoo.ca, they always have NYC specials.

Also www.lmtclub.com. You can find a free membership code by searching the net.
Indeed, all deals at travelzoo are for April maximum. I guess I'll have to wait a bit more to see if I can get anything from there. As far I've seen by now, travelzoo has the best deals around.

Thank you!
Banned
Dec 22, 2012
141 posts
39 upvotes
Montreal
Evil Baby wrote: Last time I went to Manhattan I just stayed in Newark and drove over. Hotels were significantly cheaper there and the drive was fairly short. Just have to pay the bridge toll.
Thanks for the advice! However, I'd rather not drive in Manhattan. I'll take a look at the options!

Thank you!
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
26012 posts
211310 upvotes
GTA
Airbnb has plenty of options in Manhattan, of course slightly higher risk in terms of room getting cancelled, you not being approved, etc., but even still, I would imagine you should be able to find something else fairly quickly. There is a current 30% off promo that I posted:

airbnb-save-30-off-min-100-booking-1635719/
Dec 8, 2014
73 posts
85 upvotes
Kanata, ON
daniel3ub wrote: Of course you will not find a 5 star hotel for $50/night, but we can find some 3 star hotel for $150/night. This is nice and cheap for me.
If your $150 is Canadian and all-in, you're looking at a US$ list price of $108 (fx + sales tax + hotel tax). That's a hard price point to meet for one person, let alone three, in one of the best months of the year to visit NY. Everyone's definition of nice is subjective, but most of your options at this price point will be borderline.

Probably not impossible to do, but it also depends on whether you want to put a value on the time you're using looking for deals. Some people (like me) enjoy the hunt, but others just want to get the planning over as fast as possible.

If you decide to look outside Manhattan, look to LIC and Brooklyn before NJ. Transport is both cheaper and better going east vs. west.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
daniel3ub wrote: Thanks for the advice! However, I'd rather not drive in Manhattan. I'll take a look at the options!

Thank you!
You can take the train in as well. I was there years ago but it was about $110 for the night and the room had two beds in it.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12614 posts
2318 upvotes
Best hotel/price ratio I've stayed in was Lex Hotel in Manhatten. Really friendly service and reasonable rates (had a discount from orbitz that helped)
Feb 16, 2011
729 posts
316 upvotes
i've done airbnb in brooklyn twice. no problems either time.

pretty easy to find <$150 per night for the family in the outer boroughs. some properties are purely for rental...the place i stayed in last july was about $120/night with enough space for like 4-5 people.

commute might be an issue if you're going with kids.
Banned
Dec 22, 2012
141 posts
39 upvotes
Montreal
slowtyper wrote: Best hotel/price ratio I've stayed in was Lex Hotel in Manhatten. Really friendly service and reasonable rates (had a discount from orbitz that helped)
Almost $1500 for 3 nights after taxes and fees. Thank you, but it's way beyond my budget.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)