• Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2014 8:48 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2008
1598 posts
57 upvotes

Cheap parking in downtown Toronto

I'm tired of paying ridiculous amounts to park downtown. I feel like we should compile a list of cheap parking locations in Toronto. Places that have free street parking after 9 pm. Places that allow you to park after 6 pm for a reasonable cost. Places that are reasonable during the day, etc.

What I've found over my last few years (and bear with me, I have a terrible sense of direction):

Simcoe and Adelaide (in front of Burrito Boyz) has a big parking garage and a small-timer with a small lot that are both 5 bucks cheaper than anywhere near the harbourfront centre/rogers centre.

Across the street from 1033 Bay street (where 5th Elementt is) has "St. Mike's" (I think it's the school, correct me if I'm wrong) which allows parking from noon-10 pm for $8.

Dundas in front of the AGO has free street parking after 9 pm.

Anyone else have any good cheap parking tips? For different areas of the city/around certain attractions? Kensington for example?
51 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2009
2398 posts
54 upvotes
Thornhill
_RFDealt_ wrote:
Sep 6th, 2009 6:02 pm
I'm tired of paying ridiculous amounts to park in the GTA. I feel like we should compile a list of cheap parking locations in Toronto. Places that have free street parking after 9 pm. Places that allow you to park after 6 pm for a reasonable cost. Places that are reasonable during the day, etc.

What I've found over my last few years (and bear with me, I have a terrible sense of direction):

Simcoe and Adelaide (in front of Burrito Boyz) has a big parking garage and a small-timer with a small lot that are both 5 bucks cheaper than anywhere near the harbourfront centre/rogers centre.

Across the street from 1033 Bay street (where 5th Elementt is) has "St. Mike's" (I think it's the school, correct me if I'm wrong) which allows parking from noon-10 pm for $8.

Dundas in front of the AGO has free street parking after 9 pm.

Anyone else have any good cheap parking tips?
So...you're looking for cheap parking in Toronto? The GTA is the Greater Toronto Area i.e. Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Markham, etc, where parking is generally free...

You might want to change the thread title.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
11890 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
Completely depends on when and where in the GTA. I think the scope needs to be narrowed significantly.
Deal with it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2008
1598 posts
57 upvotes
you're right. narrowed the scope. should be around major toronto attractions...
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2007
1115 posts
24 upvotes
alot of the cheap $5 parking lots that i knew of are all gone now, thanks to condo builders.

This might be out of your area, but a small strip of College St. from west of Dufferin St. to Sheridan Ave (the next street west of Dufferin off College) is free AFTER 4pm, and only $1 during the day during enforced hours (no parking during rush hours). Not much to do around there, except for some tasty Pho :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2008
1598 posts
57 upvotes
Do you guys know of any parking lots at malls that are downtown? Like Yorkdale except walking distance to anything?
Feb 14, 2008
236 posts
14 upvotes
Scarborough
Buy a motorbike, free parking on all Toronto streets including downtown. :lol:
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
3493 posts
280 upvotes
On dundas going east from yonge towards church, has a few parking lots that's flat rate cheaper than Green P parking. Depending on time of day you park flat rate is great.

Also depends on if you are going for long period of time and when. When I use to go clubbing I looked for street parking that after nine was free which is huge considering parking in entertainment district regularly runs into the $20 or higher.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2007
1115 posts
24 upvotes
_RFDealt_ wrote:
Sep 7th, 2009 4:07 am
Do you guys know of any parking lots at malls that are downtown? Like Yorkdale except walking distance to anything?
there's Dufferin Mall (on Dufferin north of College). It's downtown, but again it's not near the downtown core. Parking is usually expensive near the good places to shop anyway. Just be thankful it's not like Manhattan, NY... where parking is like $30 and up for underground parking.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2006
1127 posts
57 upvotes
_RFDealt_ wrote:
Sep 7th, 2009 4:07 am
Dufferin Mall is the closest free parking you can get to the core, and the subway is just underneath it. You can try to find grocery stores, but they're further... Loblaw at Jarvis/Queens Quay (usually free), T&T on Cherry St, No Frills at Keele/Dundas, Price Chopper at Dundas/Bloor.
YZFMax wrote:
Sep 7th, 2009 7:01 am
Buy a motorbike, free parking on all Toronto streets including downtown. :lol:
+1... motorcycles & scooters can park in Green P areas for free... hell, you can park virtually everywhere for free... I park on sidewalks, alleys, beside main entrances to buildings, and even in front of other cars in the same parking spot (if there's space). If I need to go downtown and am alone, I always hop on my bike.
Jan 17, 2010
954 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto
BuildBuyBreed wrote:
Sep 7th, 2009 12:28 pm
+1... motorcycles & scooters can park in Green P areas for free... hell, you can park virtually everywhere for free... I park on sidewalks, alleys, beside main entrances to buildings, and even in front of other cars in the same parking spot (if there's space). If I need to go downtown and am alone, I always hop on my bike.
Is this true? Why don't motorcycles get tickets? I've been wanting to get a motorcycle for a while and this would be another huge plus to owning one.
Aug 17, 2008
665 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
DO NOT PARK AT LOBLAWS! my friend's dad parked there once and got his car towed away...
Banned
Nov 30, 2009
52 posts
Condo....All the way…
Anyone that works near Sherbourne station

Go north on Sherbourne across the bridge. There is free parking after 9am-11am to 11pm all on the street and side streets.

It's literally a 1-2 min walk to the station or the corner of Sherbourne and Bloor.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
12581 posts
903 upvotes
Toronto
The Ryerson parking structure at Yonge & Dundas used to be a flat $5 after 5 (to 7 AM), but it may have gone up now that the area is more built up.
Jan 4, 2008
34 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough
Parking at 38 elm street (Bay and Elm - close to Atrium, Eatons and Ryerson) is $12 flat if you park before 9am and leave before 6pm. After 6pm and weekends its $6 flat. They do have hourly rates.. but flat rate for evenings is pretty good + it is underground and fairly secure parking
× < >