Tags:
None
Banned
Jun 2, 2009
2738 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto

Are cheap phone charging cords safe?

Got a couple of usb chargers and a car charger for my iphone 5s at pacific mall, they were like 5 bucks, are these safe to use or will it damage my battery?
Idle hands are the devils playthings
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe, maybe not. Only time will tell. But if you are paranoid if it will DMG your phone, buy genuine products from product vendor.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2008
1784 posts
1108 upvotes
I damaged my $200 phone with a $2 cable from Meritline... so.. not dangerous, but expensive. the actual chargers can be dangerous....
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
421 upvotes
Toronto
These cheap chargers takes more than twice as long for my phone to charge compared to the original charger I habe noticed, I only use them as backup when I cant find my original one because its under a sofa or something.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15213 posts
1671 upvotes
Markham
I think the charger affects more than the cord
ShadowVlican
May 17, 2010
108 posts
2 upvotes
It's not dangerous the USB cable isn't drawing power it just receives power if you mean the little brick that the USB plug plugs into then hypothetically that could be dangerous but even a legit one can be faulty, with the iPhones because their chips in the cables Apple can distinguish the clone cables so the worst thing that happens is you get a message on the phone warning that this accessory might not be supported
Banned
Jun 2, 2009
2738 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
dude4 wrote: It's not dangerous the USB cable isn't drawing power it just receives power if you mean the little brick that the USB plug plugs into then hypothetically that could be dangerous but even a legit one can be faulty, with the iPhones because their chips in the cables Apple can distinguish the clone cables so the worst thing that happens is you get a message on the phone warning that this accessory might not be supported
OK this is what i figured i mean theyre all made in china and it works...so i dont know if im just paying the apple stores rent when i buy their marked up cables or if its legitimately better quality.
Idle hands are the devils playthings
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
4403 posts
103 upvotes
I did have a cable catch fire once while charging my phone. Luckily I was right there. The phone was undamaged. I made sure to sell that cable on RFD's BST pretty quickly*.

*J/K: Actual cable was in fact disposed of instantly.
Yes I do have heatware. Look over here! Yes, here! Heatware: fitbrit
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
fitbrit wrote: I did have a cable catch fire once while charging my phone. Luckily I was right there. The phone was undamaged. I made sure to sell that cable on RFD's BST pretty quickly*.
*J/K: Actual cable was in fact disposed of instantly.
Were you drunk or stoned at the time, flames can magically appear in your mind you know ! ...LoL
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
4403 posts
103 upvotes
I was actually on the phone (a landline) with my boss.
Yes I do have heatware. Look over here! Yes, here! Heatware: fitbrit
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12014 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I find that the chargers are pretty safe. The problem are the cables. 99% of the time, they are cheap and just don't work.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
limmer21 wrote: Get the monoprice certified stuff here:http://www.cablesonsale.ca/index.php/mo ... white.html
monoprice stuff isn't that good either. I ordered 4 micro USB wires from them, and while it's thick and feels like its better quality than my genuine wire, the tip is utter garbage.

In order for my phone to charge, I literally have to hold the wire in place, on all 4 cables, so it isn't a defect. With the stock wire, I can swing my phone around with it, whereas it this one, I have to remove my case and hold it while its charging.

^Yes I know, overuse of commas

EDIT: Here's the wire I used : http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=1 ... =2#reviews , looks like I"m not the only one
Where I actually bought it : http://www.123inkcartridges.ca/p-314272 ... ated-white - you can even see my review :)
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9294 posts
415 upvotes
A bought a bunch of HP Touchpad chargers for $5 a pop... They work perfectly

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)