• Jul 15th, 2018 10:38 am
Tags:
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23188 posts
2327 upvotes
Singapore

Cheap rooms in Shanghai?

Any suggestions for a cheap single room in Shanghai that's near a subway station? I stayed at a Chinese chain about 9 years ago for about C$35/night. I'm looking for something similar if it still exist.

Thanks
5 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
4520 posts
3685 upvotes
Ottawa
Sgt_Strider wrote: Any suggestions for a cheap single room in Shanghai that's near a subway station? I stayed at a Chinese chain about 9 years ago for about C$35/night. I'm looking for something similar if it still exist.

Thanks
Keep in mind $35 CAD was worth a lot more Yuan in 2009. Add inflation you might be looking at double that for the same room.

I usually avoid Chinese chains. The cheapest western chain is probably Holiday Inn Express. I think you can get a room for $50 USD most of the time. They have a lot of locations so you can probably find one that meets your needs. The Chinese chains are on expedia etc so you can always look that way and see some reviews. Ctrip is the Chinese equivalent and has an English version.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
1062 posts
850 upvotes
GTA
Which chain did you stay at? I would recommend Jinjiang Inn for your budget. It is nothing fancy but clean most of the time. They have a lot of locations in Shanghai but you might end up with $70 for certain locations.

Ctrip is good for booking.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23188 posts
2327 upvotes
Singapore
nioero wrote: Which chain did you stay at? I would recommend Jinjiang Inn for your budget. It is nothing fancy but clean most of the time. They have a lot of locations in Shanghai but you might end up with $70 for certain locations.

Ctrip is good for booking.
That's it. Wow, in 9 years, the price doubled. If only all of our incomes doubled.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
1062 posts
850 upvotes
GTA
I was working in China in a city close to Shanghai between 2013 and 2016. Average worker’s salary increased by10% each year when I was there.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2009
5735 posts
1585 upvotes
Montreal
Sgt_Strider wrote: That's it. Wow, in 9 years, the price doubled. If only all of our incomes doubled.
30CAD/night at SH or BJ would be very hard to find due to constant year around demand.

In 2016, we stayed at a decent Huating hotel facing a Beijing Subway with queen bed for 300RMB or 60 CAD at the time. Only hostels were cheaper.