• Mar 15th, 2015 2:37 pm
[OP]
Dec 25, 2008
103 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto

Cheap Telephone Landline in GTA?

Hey everyone!
I'm currently looking to switch our landline provider (hoping to maintain the same phone number though), as I think there are cheaper alternatives.

We are currently with Primus, and it is costing us about $40 a month. This includes all the features (call waiting, call display, etc etc) and a 5 cent a minute long distance plan (with network access charge of $5 a month).

Does anyone know of any other reliable and cheap telephone providers in the area? I remember seeing ads on the back of some TTC buses for a $20 a month plan but I can't for the life of me remember the name of the company. Anyone know?

Cheers!
12 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
15904 posts
1267 upvotes
GTA West
Availability is not as strong as Bell, but try http://www.teksavvy.com/.

This is for actual landline service, not VoIP.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
[OP]
Dec 25, 2008
103 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Feb 24th, 2009 4:47 pm
Availability is not as strong as Bell, but try http://www.teksavvy.com/.

This is for actual landline service, not VoIP.
Thanks for the response! And, yeah, I'm looking for actual landline service but I think there are better deals than TekSavvy (mainly because, to include the features, would cost over $30 a month, not counting long distance).

I think there are telephone specific providers (e.g. companies that don't spend most of their resources of being internet service providers as well) that are more affordable? At least, that is what I am looking for.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
15904 posts
1267 upvotes
GTA West
Twitch_City wrote:
Feb 24th, 2009 4:50 pm
Thanks for the response! And, yeah, I'm looking for actual landline service but I think there are better deals than TekSavvy (mainly because, to include the features, would cost over $30 a month, not counting long distance).

I think there are telephone specific providers (e.g. companies that don't spend most of their resources of being internet service providers as well) that are more affordable? At least, that is what I am looking for.
FYI: Teksavvy is a Bell reseller so you can use the 10-10-xxx numbers on it to avoid paying for a long distance package.

I am not aware of any other smaller telephone companies that provide residential service in the GTA. I wish I knew of some so I could switch!!
- Casual Gastronomist -
[OP]
Dec 25, 2008
103 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Haha, yeah I know the feeling! That is really why I was hoping someone might remember the name of that company that advertised on the TTC for a while. It was $20 a month with all the features - which sounds like a pretty great deal!
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3072 posts
96 upvotes
Mississauga
Doesn't Primus offer some good deals? But with good deals you also may get a lengthy contract with bad service. Also I'm moving out next week and have decided not to get a phone line because my cell plan offers free weekends/weekends. I'm at work when my daytime minute kicks in and at home when the calls are free. I know this situation doesn't fit everyone's lifestyle but maybe it'll give you an idea.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
15904 posts
1267 upvotes
GTA West
Twitch_City wrote:
Feb 24th, 2009 5:38 pm
...I was hoping someone might remember the name of that company that advertised on the TTC for a while.
I think you jogged my memory... http://www.yak.ca/
- Casual Gastronomist -
Jan 20, 2009
448 posts
29 upvotes
IS Cogeco phone available in GTA?
May be that 20$/month was vonage.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2005
3344 posts
13 upvotes
Teksavvy looks cheaper than yak. Plus $25 credit on Teksavvy.
May 26, 2011
1 posts
PICKERING
ACN has cheaper landline prices than Bell by far. Their videao phone is even cheaper at about $30 a month with all free features, free unlimited long distance to dozens of countries and the added bonus of video if calling someone with their own video phone.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
6569 posts
268 upvotes
York
We're with Bell paying $30/month for a landline. We need a landline but would like to be paying less - are there any companies that give a better deal? Called Teksavvy but they can't give customers of Bell service because of some contract they signed.. Anything else out there? CAN NOT be VoIP, don't need any features just unlimited local calling.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2007
7004 posts
655 upvotes
Toronto
Twitch_City wrote:
Feb 24th, 2009 5:38 pm
I was hoping someone might remember the name of that company that advertised on the TTC for a while. It was $20 a month with all the features - which sounds like a pretty great deal!
Definitely VoIP.
If you want to save then consider dropping features that you don't need too much.
Aug 10, 2008
387 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Noticed nobody has spoken about this topic since 2012. I'm looking for high speed internet and voIP. Anything on the cheap other than teksavy and yak? I already tried and it's not available in my area. I'm close to leslieville.
× < >