[OP]
Jul 23, 2015
417 posts
157 upvotes
Hamilton, ON

Cheap track able shipping for 4 tires/rims

Hamilton to Winnipeg

Recipient to pay.

Guy in Winnipeg wants to buy my snow tires on Kijiji. Guess he can't find any out there. Obviously I'll be paid first. Any suggestions?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3414 posts
2615 upvotes
Toronto
I don't know about cheap shipping, but as someone who has sold tires and rims before, I would be very suspicious of someone not buying them in person and paying in advance. A buyer would be wary of uneven (or mismeasured) threadwear and other defects besides repaired punctures. There could be issues with dents, etc. on the steel rims causing vibration, etc., etc. And who would be so eager to want winter tires in August and pay additional for shipping? Plus, they're big and heavy, so any shipping would still be pricey (I guesstimated an average tire-sized 40 lb parcel on Canada Post and it would be about $40 per tire). Only makes economic sense if you're practically giving them away.

How are they going to pay you?
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3631 posts
632 upvotes
Alberta
Don't do it. More than likely it's a scam. Who ever heard about anyone that can't find tires out there.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10847 posts
3543 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 9:59 pm
Don't do it. More than likely it's a scam. Who ever heard about anyone that can't find tires out there.
The articles you find via my Google search explain what's going on. The scammer has a bot that scours Kijiji listings, sending a generic e-mail that offers to accept the offer plus shipping, referring to the items "in the ad" rather than specifically. They send out 1,000s of these e-mails hoping to lure in a sucker or two in the process. The bot has no idea that this listing is about tires/rims, the distance between Hamilton and Winnipeg and that items of this size/weight will cost a small fortune to ship that far. That's why this makes no sense in this instance. Of course most of the time the item for sale is smaller and the distance is shorter so it's more tempting.
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Jul 23, 2015
417 posts
157 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Thanks for all the replies.

I wouldn't send or do anything without having the money in my bank first.

The reply was like so many other replies you get on Kijiji. "Please contact me if the ________ is still available "

I repels to that with my cell...he texted me and made the offer of 400 plus he'd take care of shipping. I asked about why he would ship tires...he said smart cars aren't popular out there and there's no stock...it's somewhat believable. .. they are not popular cars especially out there I imagine. I am going back and forth if I'm keeping my smart car...told him to check PMCtire.com and haven't heard from him since.

Reminds me of the older lady that bought a gap gift card from me...she just sent $20 and a stamped self addressed envelope. Some ppl are way too trusting.
[OP]
Jul 23, 2015
417 posts
157 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Bambinos wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 7:38 am
When he receives the tires, he may do a chargeback and the payment will be canceled. Proceed at your own risk.
It is common knowledge that Kijiji transactions should be done in person and cash should be the preferred method of payment.

https://help.kijiji.ca/helpdesk/safety/ ... ansactions
I was under the impression interactive e transfers were not refundable once deposited.

Like I said I haven't heard back so I doubt I'll be going through with it.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10847 posts
3543 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Nibbler2012 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 7:59 am
Like I said I haven't heard back so I doubt I'll be going through with it.
But why chance it in the first place?

What's the value to you of not having to package the 4 tires/rims and take them to the shipper? What's the value to you of avoiding the risk of the buyer doing a chargeback or playing some other game, e.g. he claims he didn't get the tires and now you have to deal with the shipper, etc? If this is a scammer, rest assured that they know how to game the system a lot better than you know how to defend yourself from their games.

Whatever those values are, is it not safer to just reduce your asking price by up to that amount and selling locally, face-to-face, as-as where you get cold, hard cash in your hand and the buyer has no further recourse against you?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3414 posts
2615 upvotes
Toronto
Bylo makes several good points, and as mentioned, almost any payment method could be reversed, some more easily than others, but it's possible. The exception would be Western Union, which is why scammers tell people to to use WU to send money to the Nigerian Prince. Tell him to send you money via WU and see if he bites. If not, then don't worry, you'll sell your tires locally for sure when it gets colder. If the buyer has a friend in Hamilton, he can make an arrangement for the friend to meet and pay you and the friend can handle shipping.

No stock in Winnipeg? Of course there's no stock, it's August! Retailers will start getting their winter tire shipments in the fall, and people will then unload their old winter tires when they get new ones.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10847 posts
3543 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
jm1 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 9:55 am
No stock in Winnipeg? Of course there's no stock, it's August! Retailers will start getting their winter tire shipments in the fall, and people will then unload their old winter tires when they get new ones.
Excellent point! Unless the OP needs cash ASAP he'll likely see more demand and get a higher price in the fall when thrifty buyers are starting to look for used winter tires vs. buying new.
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Jul 23, 2015
417 posts
157 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
bylo wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 10:18 am
Excellent point! Unless the OP needs cash ASAP he'll likely see more demand and get a higher price in the fall when thrifty buyers are starting to look for used winter tires vs. buying new.
As mentioned haven't heard anything back so I'll consider this deal dead. I could use the cash now which is why I originally gave it some thought. Same reason I'm selling my sweet handmade toaster.