• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 2:56 pm
Mar 19, 2015
620 posts
119 upvotes
Canada
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jan 9th, 2017 9:09 am
Kennedy and finch! Its next to the now defunct 'steam house'.
I forgot what its called... but the food is cheap.
Milliken Bar & Restaurant

https://www.yelp.ca/biz/milliken-bar-an ... nt-toronto

Very Fair restaurant has 2 locations?

https://www.yelp.ca/biz/very-fair-toronto

https://www.yelp.ca/biz/very-fair-chine ... carborough
Oct 26, 2016
253 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jan 9th, 2017 9:09 am
Kennedy and finch! Its next to the now defunct 'steam house'.
I forgot what its called... but the food is cheap.
The "steam hot pot" restaurants are popping up more and more now. That one already closed down?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36152 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks. Note to others... the ambiance isn't exactly great. It has the 90's cantonese restaurant feel. Not ghetto just dated... a remnant of agincourts early 200's glory when the chinese community was bustling around there.

I fed me, my partner and my dad for under $30... i was surprised. We dont eat much but there was still 9 dishes between us plus coke.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4293 posts
301 upvotes
Why is dim sum always relegated to the cheap category? I don't get it. Why is quality not the most important criteria. There is a lot of crap dim sum out there. Usually, the cheap places.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36152 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
mkjr wrote:
Jan 10th, 2017 6:06 pm
Why is dim sum always relegated to the cheap category? I don't get it. Why is quality not the most important criteria. There is a lot of crap dim sum out there. Usually, the cheap places.
Because money money money money monaaayyy.
You're free to start a thread for the BEST dim sum (regardless of price). IT has its scale... There's 5 star dim sum where the chef makes beautiful and delicate dishes.
Then there's the $2 a plate greasy hang over food... I still party on weekends... (ok fine.. Party to me is hanging @ my friends house playing beer pong and video games...). But its nice to have that humble dim sum with just the $20 bill left in the pocket!!!

I haven't seen too many places pushing carts around anymore... Sometimes I bump into them. But I do misss them.

HA GOW SHEW MAI!!!!!!!
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18018 posts
3533 upvotes
Toronto
Also it has to do demographics as well. Markham and Richmond hill are where you find the higher priced dim sum places as Opposed to Scarborough. I frequent to both of the said areas and most of them, the quality may be hard to distinguish. For me, they are all the same, just fill my stomach and more $ left in my pocket, instead of spending like $15-20 per person in Richmond hill/Markham, it cost like $10 at most per person in Scarborough
Jan 13, 2017
40 posts
6 upvotes
I went to this location a few years ago with my friend.

Expect to wait 30-45 minutes at the door.
booblehead wrote:
Dec 17th, 2016 4:38 pm
+1

Brimely & Shepard

http://perfectchineserestaurant.com/pro ... y/dim-sum/

Not the cheapest of the cheapest .. but it is okay because of a few more varieties than others.

Do ask if you can sit near the kitchen entrance as the dim sum comes out in carts form. You will see people simply rush into them with their tickets once they see the carts come out ... it is the survival of the fittest. "You snooze, you lose". For weekends, if you go before 9am, then you may not need to wait for table, otherwise, the madness starts around 10am.

I really don't like to go there because it is so crazy but my parents sometimes want to go there because of the varieties.
May 7, 2008
415 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
I completely agree - most people are willing to pay $6-7 for a plate of tapas at a Western restaurant or like $6-7 for something like poutine, but loath to pay more than $3-4 for dim sum.

In a Cantonese kitchen - the dim sum chef is typically the most skilled chef. Price really should reflect skills imo. Don't think paying $5-6 or even $7-8 for certain plates should be out of the question.

Too much conditioning from our parents, who still expect dim sum to be 1992 prices. "$2.50??? Too much....$2.00 is ok la"

mkjr wrote:
Jan 10th, 2017 6:06 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2012
9698 posts
840 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Shark828 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2017 9:50 am
I went to this location a few years ago with my friend.

Expect to wait 30-45 minutes at the door.
False. Not if you're willing to "share table". I go by myself and always get seated in under 5 min... I'd say the average being 2. Because I'm willing to "share table". Lolz.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1081 posts
243 upvotes
Been craving dim sum like crazy all this month. Went to several dim sum places in downtown Chinatown and was disappointed when I wasn't able to get one of my favorite dishes for "yum cha". Lots of the restaurants did not have curry cuttlefish (squid) for dim sum. The only restaurant I was lucky enough to get it was Noble Chinese Restaurant located on 530 Dundas Street West. Some wait staff from various restaurants claimed there is a shortage of good cuttlefish and that is why Dim Sum King at 421 Dundas Street West will serve you the "higher quality" of their cuttlefish, but at a much higher premium dim sum price.

Is there a shortage of cuttlefish in Markham and other GTA popular dim sum places? I don't drive, but plan on getting a ride this weekend to these far away places if they serve curry cuttlefish for dim sum. Please enlighten me.