None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
11418 posts
589 upvotes
Toronto

Cheaper alternative to Rogers HDPVR Extender

I got an email today from rogers that they now sell a Rogers PVR Extender (Made by Seagate by the looks of the symbol on it) for $199.99
http://www.rogers.com/web/content/perso ... VRextender

Is there a cheaper way of building this? Could I just get a 1 TB drive with a eSATA connector external box and will with work with the Rogers HDPVR? I figure I can use this for computer storage and with the Rogers box (assuming the Rogers box does not format stuff in a different way).

Thanks
6 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1231 posts
247 upvotes
Toronto
Check out digitalhomes.ca, they have an active forum discussing this.
Sep 26, 2004
170 posts
27 upvotes
I have gone to the website, but cant find the "forum"

Can you provide with a link ?
2011 VALUE OF FREEBIES = $ 115.11 :)
Sep 26, 2004
170 posts
27 upvotes
its digitalhome not digitalhomes :)
2011 VALUE OF FREEBIES = $ 115.11 :)
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
26844 posts
405 upvotes
Ottawa
LOL @ Rogers....uncharacteristically falling behind. Couple months ago Bell sent out a flyer saying that their HDPVRs were now compatible up to a certain size with certain retail external HDDs. I picked up a Seagate 640Gb for $90 to gain a SIGNIFICANT amount of playback recording time.

I've never looked back since.

It was plug-n-play and the most amazing thing my n00b-self had ever accomplished.
●unlim CDN air&msging●unlim Global SMS●CD/VM●6Gb●$50
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Suck it Trebeck]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2005
3827 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto
hightech wrote:
Feb 11th, 2009 7:49 pm
I got an email today from rogers that they now sell a Rogers PVR Extender (Made by Seagate by the looks of the symbol on it) for $199.99
http://www.rogers.com/web/content/perso ... VRextender

Is there a cheaper way of building this? Could I just get a 1 TB drive with a eSATA connector external box and will with work with the Rogers HDPVR? I figure I can use this for computer storage and with the Rogers box (assuming the Rogers box does not format stuff in a different way).

Thanks
I have done this with my SD rogers pvr. Using a 500gig WD drive and a Vantec Esata enclosure. It worked great but two things to consider:
#1 The PVR will format the drive and as far as I can tell nobody has found out a way to read that drive in a pc/mac.
#2 If the new drive is larger the PVR will use the larger drive first, what bothered me was seeing my external drive being constantly accessed non-stop.

Check the USB/Firewire ports on your PVR sometimes rogers forgets to lock them out and you can stream the shows from the PVR to your computer.
I got.....nothing to say.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
2981 posts
51 upvotes
If your not in a hurry, Dell has the Apricorn DVR Xpander's for around $99 occasionally in the Dell day's of deals.
Seize the Day!
× < >