Food & Drink

Is it cheaper to buy Kimchi or make it yourself?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2009 8:17 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
3353 posts
136 upvotes
Mississauga

Is it cheaper to buy Kimchi or make it yourself?

So is it cheaper to buy Kimchi, or is it better to make it yourself?

What's the best place to buy a good amount of tasty kimchi at an affordable price?

Or else has anyone ever made their own kimchi? Is it difficult to do? I can't get enough of this stuff!
Toronto sports teams..............forever cursed. Profound sadness. :(
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2008
3275 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
It's definitely cheaper making your own kimchi... but you have to gather a lot of spices to do it. If you want to save the hassle, just buy them from a supermarket.
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12205 posts
92 upvotes
that is one of the best avatars i have ever seen.

And i think making Kimchi would be tedious and the smell would be unbearable.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
3798 posts
534 upvotes
Markham
Making Kimchi is quite simple actually and the ingredients are not expensive.

Go to Youtube and search for Maangchi, she has a posting there. She also has her own website with full recipe.

By making your own you know what's in there and what's not (ie MSG).
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2007
1277 posts
50 upvotes
It'd definitely be cheaper to make your own (you can go to a korean grocery store and buy a huge box of cabbage to make enough kimchi to last you for weeks!) but it's quite a bit of time and effort to make it.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
8974 posts
552 upvotes
originalnutta wrote:
Oct 26th, 2009 12:57 am
that is one of the best avatars i have ever seen.

And i think making Kimchi would be tedious and the smell would be unbearable.
I've watched my mom make kimchi and the smell isn't so bad. I think the fermenting is what makes it really stink.
onehaehyuk wrote:
Oct 26th, 2009 12:04 pm
It'd definitely be cheaper to make your own (you can go to a korean grocery store and buy a huge box of cabbage to make enough kimchi to last you for weeks!) but it's quite a bit of time and effort to make it.
Few weeks? That's insane! Every so often my mom would send me a care package with a small jar of kimchi. That would last me months.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2007
1277 posts
50 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Oct 26th, 2009 12:46 pm
Few weeks? That's insane! Every so often my mom would send me a care package with a small jar of kimchi. That would last me months.
haha yeah there are 6 people in my house so we go through it pretty fast. I find kimchi goes sour within a couple months though.
Jul 21, 2009
159 posts
5 upvotes
You can buy a huge jar at Costco for about $10. It's really good
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3415 posts
154 upvotes
GTA
I love Kimchi now, I always wish Owl would give you more when I order my Pork Bone Soup. Very tasty stuff that took awhile to grow on me, I can't believe there was a time I didn't care for it. It's an acquired taste...
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
8974 posts
552 upvotes
onehaehyuk wrote:
Oct 26th, 2009 2:28 pm
haha yeah there are 6 people in my house so we go through it pretty fast. I find kimchi goes sour within a couple months though.
I'm not a huge fan of Kimchi, but I prefer it sour.
wolverine07 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2009 3:17 pm
I love Kimchi now, I always wish Owl would give you more when I order my Pork Bone Soup. Very tasty stuff that took awhile to grow on me, I can't believe there was a time I didn't care for it. It's an acquired taste...
Now I cannot vouche if this works or not at the Owl, but generally the side dishes are free at Korean restaurants and asking for more is free too.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2008
9721 posts
427 upvotes
yeah I think a lot of people don't know you can simply ask for more. All that I've been to, with the exception of one (oh goel bo goel), has been very good at giving more refills on the side dishes. There are some really nice ones that refill it without asking, which was very appreciative.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2005
1928 posts
15 upvotes
Scarborough
You can get a huge tub at Galleria for about $6-8. Don't buy the ones in the bottles, go to the area where they have these big containers and ask for a plastic tub full.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
3353 posts
136 upvotes
Mississauga
gr8dlr wrote:
Oct 26th, 2009 12:01 pm
Making Kimchi is quite simple actually and the ingredients are not expensive.

Go to Youtube and search for Maangchi, she has a posting there. She also has her own website with full recipe.

By making your own you know what's in there and what's not (ie MSG).
Cool, I'm going to take a look.

Just thinking wrote:
Oct 26th, 2009 2:40 pm
You can buy a huge jar at Costco for about $10. It's really good
Muncher wrote:
Oct 26th, 2009 6:44 pm
You can get a huge tub at Galleria for about $6-8. Don't buy the ones in the bottles, go to the area where they have these big containers and ask for a plastic tub full.

When you guys say 'huge jar', can you define huge? Is it 500g? 1.2kg or more? A few days ago I was at a Chinese supermarket and they had a sale on this green labelled kimchi that I think I've seen before at other supermarkets and it was going for 2 tubs for $6 or 1kg combined. Do they make tubs any bigger than this at a affordable price?
Toronto sports teams..............forever cursed. Profound sadness. :(
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3415 posts
154 upvotes
GTA
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Oct 26th, 2009 4:13 pm
I'm not a huge fan of Kimchi, but I prefer it sour.

Now I cannot vouche if this works or not at the Owl, but generally the side dishes are free at Korean restaurants and asking for more is free too.
slowtyper yeah I think a lot of people don't know you can simply ask for more. All that I've been to, with the exception of one (oh goel bo goel), has been very good at giving more refills on the side dishes. There are some really nice ones that refill it without asking, which was very appreciative.
That's great advice, I'll give it a try next time I'm there.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2008
9721 posts
427 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote:
Oct 26th, 2009 12:01 pm
While I'm don't really like kimchi that much, I like most other korean food. This website is a great find! I just bought a container of the korean chili paste and will start experimenting witih some of the dishes. I think I can substitute chinese chilli flakes and chinese soybean paste for the korean versions....well at least I"ll try it first.

The korean chili paste in the plastic tub smells so good.
× < >