• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2015 12:15 am
Tags:
None
Dec 17, 2003
722 posts
6 upvotes

Cheaper Greyhound tix from Toronto->Ottawa

Anyone who travels between Toronto and Ottawa is used to being exploited pretty brutally by Greyhound's monopoly. I say monopoly because for some reason VIA rail isn't even trying to compete. Sure it's more comfortable, but it can cost nearly twice as much.

So we're stuck with Greyhound, which is the only bus company that is allowed to go from Toronto to Ottawa. This privilege is protected by provincial law without demanding anything of them in return.

People that travel between Toronto and Montreal, though, have it better. Even though Coach Canada's (aka Megabus aka Stagecoach) monopoly is protected, Greyhound sells tickets from Toronto->Ottawa->Montreal and gets around the law. How sneaky. Because the two compete, it ends up meaning that going to Montreal is significantly cheaper than going to Ottawa. Bummer.

But why not just buy a Greyhound ticket to Montreal and get off in Ottawa? Exactly.

Here's how much it normally costs for a ticket from Toronto to Ottawa.

And now, from Toronto to Montreal:

On student fares purchased the day-of, the price difference isn't all that huge. But 7-day advance tickets from Toronto to Montreal are only $29, which is cheaper and more convenient than the $46 14-day advance ticket to Ottawa.

Does this strike anyone as odd and exploitative? I can't help but wonder if they thought they could get this one past us without anyone noticing. The system of bus regulation in Ontario is painfully dated and results in higher ticket prices, richer monopolies and awful service. If there were two bus companies travelling between Toronto and Ottawa, there would be better buses, more trips, and much, much lower prices. But that's a rant for another day.

http://canrocks.blogspot.com/2009/10/be ... e-and.html
64 replies
Jan 5, 2006
525 posts
12 upvotes
Whitby
Why don't you get a blog or call up Greyhound to complain instead of posting this in "Hot Deals"..
[OP]
Dec 17, 2003
722 posts
6 upvotes
98vtec wrote:
Oct 19th, 2009 12:41 pm
Why don't you get a blog or call up Greyhound to complain instead of posting this in "Hot Deals"..
1) http://canrocks.blogspot.com/2009/10/be ... e-and.html

2) because. . . it is a hot deal? Return trip to Ottawa for $60 instead of $100? I think they should be equitable but for now. . . I'm going to exploit it!
Deal Addict
May 9, 2009
4782 posts
708 upvotes
98vtec wrote:
Oct 19th, 2009 12:41 pm
He linked to his blog in his post...

I had no clue there were restrictions on which carriers could travel which routes.
Aug 31, 2004
518 posts
10 upvotes
Ottawa
canrocks wrote:
Oct 19th, 2009 12:37 pm
But why not just buy a Greyhound ticket to Montreal and get off in Ottawa?
Unfortunately, there's a fallacy to your suggestion. If you are going to Montreal, you will not be allowed to board in TO to go to Ottawa. The driver will tell you you need a TO - Ottawa - Montreal ticket as it is a higher fare due to higher mileage.
[OP]
Dec 17, 2003
722 posts
6 upvotes
They're the same ticket - there's no direct bus travelling to Montreal; every Greyhound passenger has to change buses in Ottawa.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2009
4782 posts
708 upvotes
canrocks wrote:
Oct 19th, 2009 12:54 pm
They're the same ticket - there's no direct bus travelling to Montreal; every Greyhound passenger has to change buses in Ottawa.
What about luggage? I only travelled Montreal-Toronto on Greyhound once (I usually go Coach Canada) and I can't remember if we had to transfer our own luggage too.
Mar 22, 2004
413 posts
wow this is awesome find canrocks! i guess since i'm from Ottawa and often travel to TO. i'm kinda forced to pay the regular advanced day fare from Ottawa to TO but on the way back, i can use your method. :)
[OP]
Dec 17, 2003
722 posts
6 upvotes
psyko514 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2009 12:56 pm
What about luggage? I only travelled Montreal-Toronto on Greyhound once (I usually go Coach Canada) and I can't remember if we had to transfer our own luggage too.
You would have to take your own luggage into the terminal, and walk it to the Montreal gate, and line up there, and give them the second ticket in your string of tickets.
Sep 13, 2007
936 posts
258 upvotes
Viarail offers "EXPRESS DEALS" every week. New deals posted every Wednesday.
This week depart TO at 930 am arrive in Ottawa at 220pm
for $32.50
They have deals to ottawa and back every week - all $32.50 each way
http://www2.viarail.ca/expressdeals/
Sep 4, 2007
8 posts
anyone try this? does this work only boarding from Toronto or can you board from Ottawa going to Toronto as well (i.e. boarding at the transfer terminal).
Jan 20, 2007
730 posts
11 upvotes
Kfox wrote:
Nov 8th, 2009 9:40 pm
Viarail offers "EXPRESS DEALS" every week. New deals posted every Wednesday.
This week depart TO at 930 am arrive in Ottawa at 220pm
for $32.50
They have deals to ottawa and back every week - all $32.50 each way
http://www2.viarail.ca/expressdeals/
Does this still work? I dont see Ottawa in the list..
thanks!
Jun 23, 2009
932 posts
18 upvotes
hey so I'm looking at greyhound.ca and see that its over $11 (excluding tax) cheaper to do the whole Tdot -> Montreal vs Tdot to Ottawa. If I am going from Toronto to Ottawa, greyhound buses do stop in Ottawa first before going to Mtl right? Do I have to keep my luggage with me or do u have to transfer buses and therefore I can just leave when I arrive in Ottawa? Just want an up to date answer as some of the responses in this thread are quite old. Thanks!
Come Check out my new Blog @ http://ahbisworld.blogspot.com/
Rogers Retention Plan - 250 Daytime Minutes, 5pm early evening calling, 1000 canada wide long distance minutes, unlimited incoming calls, voicemail, caller ID, unlimited text, call forwarding/transfer, 6 gb of data - TOTAL Price including 13% tax = $48.42. (Total of $69.50 in credits which includes a 15% bundle discount) :D
Nov 23, 2008
102 posts
toronto
ahbitheman wrote:
May 16th, 2011 3:22 pm
hey so I'm looking at greyhound.ca and see that its over $11 (excluding tax) cheaper to do the whole Tdot -> Montreal vs Tdot to Ottawa. If I am going from Toronto to Ottawa, greyhound buses do stop in Ottawa first before going to Mtl right? Do I have to keep my luggage with me or do u have to transfer buses and therefore I can just leave when I arrive in Ottawa? Just want an up to date answer as some of the responses in this thread are quite old. Thanks!

any update guys? just want to know if this still works. thanks
Nov 27, 2009
303 posts
23 upvotes
I have used this method several times before. I live in Ottawa so it is little difficult for me to use. Basically when you purchase a Montreal- Toronto or Toronto-Montreal ticket, they give you two tickets.
If you are coming from Toronto, then you will get off at Ottawa, take you luggage and stand and wait in line for the montreal bus where you check in your luggage again. If you wanted to come to Ottawa, you just take your luggage and leave and have a free ottawa-montreal ticket to use later on or discard.
× < >