Off Topic Archive

Locked: Cheaper Way to Ship Domestic Packages?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2009 12:07 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1158 posts
205 upvotes

Cheaper Way to Ship Domestic Packages?

I'm trying to ship a textbook domestically, but Canada Post rates are ridiculous something like $8.50, 3x what you would pay in the States. Do we have private shipping services in Toronto that can ship it for less?
Share:
19 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1158 posts
205 upvotes
bump
Feb 23, 2008
639 posts
24 upvotes
It's a LOT cheaper than the big couriers (Purolator, FedEx, UPS) so be thankful. I just sent a hard drive back to western digital via Canada Post for under $10 which seems pretty reasonable with insurance and signature confirmation. Try that with ups or purolator and you are probably looking at $40

There are some smaller couriers that can do intra-gta deliveries and some bike couriers but if you want national you have to go with one of the big boys or Canada Post.
Apr 30, 2009
367 posts
6 upvotes
COURIER PIGEONS

[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1158 posts
205 upvotes
bolmsted wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2009 8:15 pm
It's a LOT cheaper than the big couriers (Purolator, FedEx, UPS) so be thankful. I just sent a hard drive back to western digital via Canada Post for under $10 which seems pretty reasonable with insurance and signature confirmation. Try that with ups or purolator and you are probably looking at $40

There are some smaller couriers that can do intra-gta deliveries and some bike couriers but if you want national you have to go with one of the big boys or Canada Post.
Typical Canadian stick up your ass prices then huh. There's no such thing as media mail in Canada? Media Mail in the States costs $1.50 to ship anywhere domestically, $10 to ship anything domestic is NOT reasonable. Haha I'm definately not thankful for Canada Post charging me more than $8 to ship something within province.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9172 posts
381 upvotes
Markham
Shadow Rider wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2009 8:38 pm
Typical Canadian stick up your ass prices then huh. There's no such thing as media mail in Canada? Media Mail in the States costs $1.50 to ship anywhere domestically, $10 to ship anything domestic is NOT reasonable. Haha I'm definately not thankful for Canada Post charging me more than $8 to ship something within province.
I think there is, but it's not something that regular consumers can get.
:lol:
Dec 29, 2008
146 posts
3 upvotes
GTA
IMO, Canada Post is cheaper than Purolator/ UPS.
May 27, 2007
15654 posts
3042 upvotes
Toronto
alex2 wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2009 9:42 pm
IMO, Canada Post is cheaper than Purolator/ UPS.

That seems to be correct from what I have noticed. Canada Post is still the cheapest.
in terms of pricing ranked from the lowest, it's something like:
Canada Post > Purolator > UPS > Fedex
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
15370 posts
1221 upvotes
Langley
If Canada Post is too expensive, then start your own company and charge less.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2008
1051 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
try canada post oversize letter mail
Jan 3, 2009
328 posts
4 upvotes
GTA
Also see if you can set up a Purolator business account which you might be able to do because shipping is much cheaper.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2001
4773 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
Hairball wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2009 8:42 pm
I think there is, but it's not something that regular consumers can get.
People will be shocked how much the big couriers charge their commercial customers.

Lets put it this way, a document envelope can be ship from ON to BC for less than $10, next day delivery service.
Mark77 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2011 9:37 pm
That's not very nice....and you're missing out on a lot of valuable knowledge if you ignore me. Your loss.
Feb 23, 2008
639 posts
24 upvotes
Shadow Rider wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2009 8:38 pm
I was just saying its cheaper than the alternatives from the couriers that rape you.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
6219 posts
764 upvotes
I find it funny how it's cheaper to ship a package to the U.S. using the Small Packet service than it is to ship a package domestically using the Regular Parcel service.
× < >