• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2012 3:49 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 3, 2009
296 posts
Markham

Cheapest bluray player I can buy that plays 50HZ

Ordered the planet earth special edition blu ray on Amazon UK before realizing it was 50 Hz and my PS3 won't be able to play it. It was delivered today and I'd rather keep the boxset and buy another player for the house so I was wondering if anyone on RFD had experience with 50HZ compatible blu ray players and which would be the cheapest.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3531 posts
642 upvotes
Corktown
Others can pipe in, but would it not be possible to rip each disk (with PC Blu-ray drive and appropriate s/w to ignore region codes, etc.) and then burn your own disk.

Depending on the length of the original content, you could even create a "blu-ray" disk on a regular DVD. I do this all the time to save HD content to a blu-ray playable DVD without having to buy BD disks.
Jul 15, 2003
442 posts
280 upvotes
N64 wrote: Ordered the planet earth special edition blu ray on Amazon UK before realizing it was 50 Hz and my PS3 won't be able to play it. It was delivered today and I'd rather keep the boxset and buy another player for the house so I was wondering if anyone on RFD had experience with 50HZ compatible blu ray players and which would be the cheapest.
I got one of the Seiki BD660's from Walmart a year ago, and it works great with the 50hz UK BR that I've purchased. I know others will tell you to wait until it goes on sale, because it does once or twice a year, but I see stock levels dwindling at the local Walmarts.

As a bonus, it also has a USB port and built in media player that plays everything that I've thrown at it.
Oct 3, 2009
296 posts
Markham
The Seiki BD660 sounds interesting. Checked my local Walmart but they didn't have any but something like this is what i'm looking for, something basic that works. Looking at Insignia also.

I checked the list Chinpoko posted but most of the cheaper players available are refurbs and on EBAY so too much hassle with S&H if I had to do a return or something.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14958 posts
2921 upvotes
Toronto
fastlayne wrote: Others can pipe in, but would it not be possible to rip each disk (with PC Blu-ray drive and appropriate s/w to ignore region codes, etc.) and then burn your own disk.

Depending on the length of the original content, you could even create a "blu-ray" disk on a regular DVD. I do this all the time to save HD content to a blu-ray playable DVD without having to buy BD disks.
How do you burn it? I've never dealt with this before but I'm interested in burning some 3D content.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)