• Last Updated:
  • Jun 28th, 2011 5:00 pm
[OP]
Mar 6, 2007
607 posts
7 upvotes

cheapest cold-fx

Last year, I was able to get cold-fx at less than 14 cent per capsule (include shipping) when I was buying several hundred capsules. (they go fast 365x2).
I am looking to source more, so where is the cheapest place to get them? I am willing to buy few thousand capsules, if that's what it takes to get the best deals [as long as they have a long expiry date]. Thank you.
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
5451 posts
1977 upvotes
Calgary
I used to buy Cold-FX but it was getting so expensive that I had to look for other alternatives. Found "Cold Assist" that's much cheaper and worked just as good. It has the same active ingredients: 200mg American Ginseng extract. You will find brands like Equate (Wal-mart), Life Brand (SDM), and Natural Harmony (online) etc. I used to wait for Cold-FX to go on sale to stock up but now I don't have to wait any more. :)
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2008
1050 posts
130 upvotes
Coquitlam
jmc0 wrote:
Jun 18th, 2011 11:46 pm
Last year, I was able to get cold-fx at less than 14 cent per capsule (include shipping) when I was buying several hundred capsules. (they go fast 365x2).
I am looking to source more, so where is the cheapest place to get them? I am willing to buy few thousand capsules, if that's what it takes to get the best deals [as long as they have a long expiry date]. Thank you.

Wait, you take 2 Cold-FX every day?!
[OP]
Mar 6, 2007
607 posts
7 upvotes
althetrainer wrote:
Jun 19th, 2011 2:41 am
I used to buy Cold-FX but it was getting so expensive that I had to look for other alternatives. Found "Cold Assist" that's much cheaper and worked just as good. It has the same active ingredients: 200mg American Ginseng extract. You will find brands like Equate (Wal-mart), Life Brand (SDM), and Natural Harmony (online) etc. I used to wait for Cold-FX to go on sale to stock up but now I don't have to wait any more. :)
Thanks, will give that a try; any place that sell big/bulk size bottle of Cold Assist? Trying to get the best deal it...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
5451 posts
1977 upvotes
Calgary
jmc0 wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2011 9:49 pm
Thanks, will give that a try; any place that sell big/bulk size bottle of Cold Assist? Trying to get the best deal it...

I am not aware of any bulk size Cold Assist. I personally prefer buying them in smaller bottles because the capsules do expire. Plus, they go on sale from time to time so you just pick up a few bottles whenever they go under $10. Even if they do come in bulk you may want to try them out before jumping in. I used Walmart brand (Equate) but haven't used the Life brand or the Nature's Harmony brand. The active ingredients are the same but don't forget the psychological effect plays an important role in your immune response as well. Pharmasav also carries Cold Assist -regular and extra strength (300mg instead of 200mg ginseng extract) but it's more expensive. Try out different brands to see if they work for you. Once you find "the one" then you can start looking for good deals.

Currently Nature's Harmony sells a bottle of 60 capsules for $10.29. They do have a bulk discount up to 10% off. Free shipping in Canada.

http://hpn.to/Nature-39-s-Harmony-Cold- ... 047/004370

The Equate brand goes on sale and it usually goes under $10. You will find them in Walmart.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
5451 posts
1977 upvotes
Calgary
I was just at the mall this afternoon. Checked out both Walmart and SDM. They do carry a larger 150-capsule bottle of Cold Assist. The prices for Equate and Life brands are $31.95 and $47.99, respectively.
[OP]
Mar 6, 2007
607 posts
7 upvotes
Thanks for the help althetrainer.
And in terms of other people's question: No, I don't have enough pills left and it's too expensive too do that now.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
2716 posts
225 upvotes
Ottawa
windough wrote:
Jun 27th, 2011 2:11 pm
I use Jamieson Canadian Ginseng 250mg, works the same as cold FX.
As a placebo, yes, I suspect it would work the same. :razz:
Nov 4, 2008
411 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
Jorpho wrote:
Jun 27th, 2011 2:51 pm
As a placebo, yes, I suspect it would work the same. :razz:

I thought they proved North American Ginseng had no real affect on your cold.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
3446 posts
203 upvotes
I would argue otherwise about ginsing. Been drinking the liquid vials for year and find its good for when your down or when you want extra going out partying.

Cold assist I found good too though I prefer the liquid ginsing.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
2716 posts
225 upvotes
Ottawa
sacabeans wrote:
Jun 28th, 2011 8:46 am
I thought they proved North American Ginseng had no real affect on your cold.
My point exactly.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2003
1776 posts
144 upvotes
#1 there is a tiny bit of proof cold-fx works to shorten cold symptoms slightly, if taken before you get the cold. it would not be a bad idea to take cold-fx daily during cold and flu season.
#2 cold-fx is derived from american ginseng, but by a proprietary process, so nobody knows exactly how it differs from no-name american ginseng extracts.
#3 cold-fx is so obscenely expensive that eating handfuls of no-name american ginseng extract would be more affordable, provided you believe it will have a similar effect.

if you guess that cold-fx is 2x more concentrated in the good stuff than no-name american ginseng extracts, then one capsule of cold-fx would about equal one capsule of http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-American ... /5141?at=0 which would mean the no-name stuff is... well, cents-on-the-capsule cheaper than the cheapest source of cold-fx, anyway.

that said, a balanced diet with exercise and consistent 7.5 hour rest daily will do better than any pill.
× < >