Health & Wellness

The Cheapest dispensing fee? Any altenatives?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2018 3:58 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 31, 2016
112 posts
15 upvotes
Arva, ON

The Cheapest dispensing fee? Any altenatives?

Hi,

I've got this prescription for the medication. The doctor said, it's very cheap. It's gonna be $5 or $6. But then when I went to Shoppers Drug Mart and asked about the cost, She said it's $15. Why? Because there's dispensing fee $11. It was very shocking for me since I'm fairly new to this. I've been seeing many obnoxious fees in Canada but this is by far the worst. So, I decide to check the fee at another store which is Medicine Shoppe. They said it's $13. They charge $9 for dispensing fee. I need to take this medication for 6 month but I'm not in a hurry, so I was thinking maybe I should check some other options. I'm going to the pharmacy at Food Basic but I would like to know if the dispensing fees are cheaper at grocery stores? Or, Is there any official online medication dispensary? Please let me know. Thanks.
21 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1313 posts
702 upvotes
If you can get to a Costco (no membership required, just tell the door minder that you are using the professional services of the pharmacy), they charge $3 or so.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
1684 posts
511 upvotes
B.C.
I haven't looked at the dispensing fee for ages but I believe the fee at my local Costco pharmacy is $4.49

I think Walmart might be the next cheapest, or at least they were when I last looked.

You'll also just have to phone local pharmacies and ask what their dispensing fee is...
[OP]
Jan 31, 2016
112 posts
15 upvotes
Arva, ON
Thanks guys. I've been a member of Costco but I didn't even know they have a pharmacy at Costco. lol
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7725 posts
1030 upvotes
Toronto
Fortinos and Metro also had reasonable dispensing fees when I used them.
This was a very long time ago though.
Walmart and Costco for sure though.
Sep 9, 2017
917 posts
604 upvotes
Winnipeg
In Winnipeg, Costco's dispensing fee is $4.49. No other pharmacy here comes close. Even reduced dispensing fees through my work plan are $10 at best.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
1909 posts
735 upvotes
Victoria
One other point that many people miss is that pharmacists will usually just give 30 days of a drug, I think. If your prescription has refills though you can ask for a 90 day supply and the dispense fee is still the same.
[OP]
Jan 31, 2016
112 posts
15 upvotes
Arva, ON
MaxPower19 wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 4:17 pm
One other point that many people miss is that pharmacists will usually just give 30 days of a drug, I think. If your prescription has refills though you can ask for a 90 day supply and the dispense fee is still the same.
Wow. That's awesome. I'll do that. Thanks for the tip.
[OP]
Jan 31, 2016
112 posts
15 upvotes
Arva, ON
I've got my medication at Costco. Total $10 and some cents including 2 refills. The dispensing fee was $3.94. If I have bought this at Shoppers, it could have been $30. They did ask me to show my costco membership card though. I didn't like to go to Costco any more but now there's a reason. Thanks again.
Oct 3, 2018
121 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto
MaxPower19 wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 4:17 pm
@ludwig3 if you have no drug plan and definitely on the same drug/dosage long-term, ask your doctor if he/she will write you a 6 month Rx with 1 refill ... Costco will fill 6 months, just confirm the expiry date of the drug with them, before filling.

Only one dispensing fee for 6 months supply = even more savings at Costco !
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3033 posts
2548 upvotes
Vancouver
ludwig3 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2018 12:45 am
They did ask me to show my costco membership card though.
Costco pharmacy used to fill prescriptions for non-members, but I believe most locations don't do that anymore, you need to be a member.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts a location-specific question without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Sep 9, 2017
917 posts
604 upvotes
Winnipeg
Kiraly wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 2:58 pm
Costco pharmacy used to fill prescriptions for non-members, but I believe most locations don't do that anymore, you need to be a member.
In Winnipeg you don't have to be a Costco member to use their pharmacy.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1819 posts
584 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
Kelly M wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 8:42 pm
In Winnipeg you don't have to be a Costco member to use their pharmacy.
It's the same in BC. The law does not allow a pharmacy to restrict who it sells to.
Diversity is Our Burden