Tags:
None
Jan 27, 2004
78 posts
1 upvote
Kitchener

Cheapest 'Dry Loop' Internet Questions

Hi,

I just received an e-mail from Bell telling me that the my one year contract is expiring and to avoid my fees going back to the regular price, I should lock in for another year. I was paying $34.95/month on my old contract and now the new contract would be for $37.95/month. Since I haven't been all that satisfied with my internet speeds, I am starting to look around at other options. After reading a few threads on the forum, I checked out Teksavvy and it will cost me $39.05 with them since I use Vonage for my home phone. Anyone find a better deal on internet? Thanks.

Jon
11 replies
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
2722 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
8jmk wrote:
Feb 21st, 2008 11:56 am
Hi,

I just received an e-mail from Bell telling me that the my one year contract is expiring and to avoid my fees going back to the regular price, I should lock in for another year. I was paying $34.95/month on my old contract and now the new contract would be for $37.95/month. Since I haven't been all that satisfied with my internet speeds, I am starting to look around at other options. After reading a few threads on the forum, I checked out Teksavvy and it will cost me $39.05 with them since I use Vonage for my home phone. Anyone find a better deal on internet? Thanks.

Jon
If speed is your issue, you should first look into seeing if it's a distance limitation/technical limitation as if that's the case, it doesn't matter which DSL provider you use, the speed issue will remain.
Witty Comment
"I love to go to the schoolyard and watch the children jump and scream, but they don't know I'm using blanks." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
[OP]
Jan 27, 2004
78 posts
1 upvote
Kitchener
Distance shouldn't be an issue since I am close to the CO. I am more just sick of Bell and looking for a better deal!

Jon
Nov 15, 2005
897 posts
48 upvotes
GTA
Have you tried acanac.ca?

I'm also sick of Bell and will be switching very soon.
[OP]
Jan 27, 2004
78 posts
1 upvote
Kitchener
I am just reading about it now in the other thread. I currently have a dry loop with sympatico... not sure how switching to Acanac will go.... I need internet at home and can not have any down time.

Jon
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
2818 posts
174 upvotes
Teksavvy....check it out again and ull be more then pleased.
Acanac from what ive heard can be as abig as a hassle as Bell is sometimes
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
3821 posts
329 upvotes
Barrys Bay
Close CO means squat its how your wiring is going to it which can make it far.

I use to live 200 feet from CO yet line was at 5.6km away didn't qualify for high speed service in a rural area. Moved down 2 blocks now about 1 km from CO and line is running under 3 Km and have max out dsl service @ 6 Mbps. Its all on how line runs.

While you are shopping for new service check out dry loop pricing, techsavy wanted 19 month for my location.

With bell i pay nothing for dry loop. Acanac beleives charges 8 or 9 a month
[OP]
Jan 27, 2004
78 posts
1 upvote
Kitchener
With Teksavvy they wanted $39.05 with the dry loop. With Acanac, they want $26.95 with the dry loop. Since Acanac seems like it is hit or miss, I am wary of switching to them... Since I live in a new neighbourhood and my buddy who works for bell checked which CO I am on, I know I am close to the CO. It looks like Bell is still my best choice, which kind of sucks!!
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
2818 posts
174 upvotes
8jmk wrote:
Feb 21st, 2008 2:49 pm
With Teksavvy they wanted $39.05 with the dry loop. With Acanac, they want $26.95 with the dry loop. Since Acanac seems like it is hit or miss, I am wary of switching to them... Since I live in a new neighbourhood and my buddy who works for bell checked which CO I am on, I know I am close to the CO. It looks like Bell is still my best choice, which kind of sucks!!
if u plan on downloading a lot such as torrents and p2p then bells not worth it, at least in my opinion...depending if you really download a lot...i find myself that with 200GB on teksavvy premium its been working out pretty great...closest i've come to is 180GB and that was quite the month. :lol:
May 3, 2008
1 posts
Canada
8jmk wrote:
Feb 21st, 2008 2:49 pm
I tried Acanac and it was a waste of time and money. The technical support is a joke for them and you cannot talk with the billing department. The only thing that they are fast and accurate in, is charging.. real nightmare
Feb 11, 2009
1 posts
Edmonton AB
I was talking to Telehop. They offer a global calling telephone (VOIP) plan $35) + Internet($30)+ Dryloop($10) for $75. I am yet to make a decision. Has anybody tried Telehop services and comment on how their service and the quality?
Nov 14, 2011
11 posts
TORONTO
theguyz wrote:
Feb 21st, 2008 2:36 pm
With bell i pay nothing for dry loop. Acanac beleives charges 8 or 9 a month
How did you get it free from Bell? I've been with them for ages.. just threaten to move my mobile service?
what about the installation? was that free, too?
× < >