• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2012 11:01 am
Tags:
None
Mar 15, 2008
587 posts
52 upvotes

Cheapest ergonomic chairs in Toronto

Recently i started having back problems, the doctor took xrays and stuff, have an appointment next week,

but i work at my computer for hours everday, and my chair makes my back alot worse, so i need to buy an ergonomic, but they are so expensive for my student budget. Well i just gotta find the cheapest one since i have to pretty much buy it no matter what..

Where can i buy the cheapest chair in downtown toronto area? preferable a place where I can try all the chairs..

Thanks
6 replies
Sep 13, 2009
373 posts
6 upvotes
Check if your parents or your school has benefit/insurance coverage for you. That way you can buy one of those pads for your back and use it on any chair. With insurance coverage, this will cost nothing to you.

Hope this helps!
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2804 posts
2251 upvotes
GTA
I find that those pads usually don't work. You need the whole chair to feel better. Sorry i don't know of any cheap ones but i know to stay away from the back pads. Using insurance is a good idea though, get something for free that can really help.
Please don’t confuse my kindness for weakness.
Mar 15, 2008
587 posts
52 upvotes
moulamou wrote: I find that those pads usually don't work. You need the whole chair to feel better. Sorry i don't know of any cheap ones but i know to stay away from the back pads. Using insurance is a good idea though, get something for free that can really help.
well i checked at shoppers and those pads were like 170 bucks anyways.. i'm lookin into insurance coverage... see if they will pay for it
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29129 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
moulamou wrote: I find that those pads usually don't work.
Depends. I find that a simple lumbar roll does wonders for my back. At ~$20 it's a low risk experiment to see if it works for you. Also, unlike a full back rest or ergonomic chair, it's easily portable so you can take it with you when visiting friends, flying, going to the theater, etc.

However what works or doesn't work depends on what's the problem with your back. Consult your doctor and/or physiotherapist for recommendations.
wonderboy wrote: well i checked at shoppers and those pads were like 170 bucks anyways.. i'm lookin into insurance coverage... see if they will pay for it
There's no need to spend $170. FactoryDirect has been selling Obusforme back rest and seat. The pair goes for $40 and even less if you find a coupon. These are the same as what SDM sells for $170 except they were intended as "demos" and thus have advertising embroidered on them. I've had one in my car for a few months now. It's made a huge difference for me, especially on longer trips.

As for insurance, it's only covered if prescribed by your doctor or PT. But for $40, who cares?
veni, vidi, Visa
Mar 3, 2008
499 posts
121 upvotes
Toronto
Blame Google for the bump. I'm looking for a decent ergo-chair for the office; serious back pain and I have a budget of $200-300. There's all sorts of stuff in the obvious places (Staples, etc.) but no way to check quality. I wish there was an ergo-chair review website.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6990 upvotes
GTA
If you're near Midland/Lawrence in Scarborough, I'd recommend going to Office Furniture 4 U, regardless of the tacky name, they sell used and new office furniture which includes office chairs. Sometimes they carry Herman Miller and Steelcase chairs, they also have a lot of Teknion chairs as well. Their stock changes all the time. I purchased a Teknion Amacus chair for $100, they had Herman Miller Equa 2's for $50.

Even if you're not ready, I'd recommend checking it out even to sit on a few, especially if Mel is there, she'll give you advice on what to try, depending on your budget.