Cheapest High Speed Internet Provider in Canada

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2016 8:09 pm
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17804 posts
5755 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Any way to find out more about what POI nodes are being used by the providers in a certain geographic region?
May 4, 2008
6 posts
2 upvotes
Here is my analysis as of this date.
First of all, lets talk about DSL.
Basically two types ADSL2+ and VDSL2.
Basically ADSL2+ has a max down of 24 Mbits/s, and max up of 2 Mbits/s where as VDSL2 has a max down of 150 mbits/s and up of 5+ mbits/s.
Note, the ADSL2+ modem you can get between 30-50$, and the VDSL2 modem starts at 80$; if you buy yourself, if you get from provider expect to pay as much as 150$ through teksavvy for VDSL2 i.e., through there 15/10 mbits plan.
Acanac would charge 100$ for a comparable modem or 50$ for ADSL2+, 75 for ADSL2+ through teksavvy.
Both companies charge 50$ activation fee.
Teksavvy customer support and overall organisation is much better than Acanac.
Acanac they give you a bunch of 1 year promos like 1 time 12 month price for internet, 1 time 12 months free phone.... its gimmicks in the long run, but they rob you less on on the modem, but thats only a one time fee.
If you don't have an active phone line, you have to use what is called a dry loop addon, acanac charges 8$ flat / month for this addon whereas teksavvy can 8$ or more for this.
By this time unless you have an existing phone line, you reached the same price as what cable internet would be.

So lets address cable internet now, you need a modem that is DOCSIS 3.0 (the latest widely used cable internet standard )
This will cost you 80$ + tax if you buy it yourself or 100 or 150 if you get with Acanac or Teksavvy.
Bottom line, better off getting it yourself especially with teksavvy.
Teksavvy has an activation fee of 65$ + potentially another 65$ for moving cable fee ( no idea what this is ).
Acanac its 50$ activation flat.
No need for dry loops for either because this is cable.
I should note that all Acanac plans are unlimited, but due to this nature and definitive traffic shaping, the speed will vary, during evening when you get home from work (your speed is severely reduced, so unlimited, but slower when you'll use it the most).
I am going to choose to compare Acanac's 3 month term to Teksavvy's rate.
Either 43.95 for 18 mbits or 47.95 for 28 mbits through Acanac.
39.99 for 25 mbits through teksavvy.
But companies suck in a way because neither waves fees for DSL or Cable (and for DSL the fee is cash grab since I think no technician comes for either company; basically you receive the modem through mail or you call tech support for help setting up if you already have, good luck if its not in their list of approved modems, tell them to suck a toe and that its ADSL2+(cheap dsl), VDSL2(expensive dsl), DOCSIS 3.0 (cable) certified.

If you can't or unwilling to commit to a 12 month contract, Acanac makes 0 sense; unlimited but slower when you need it the most, and bad customer service I've dealt with them before.
Even if you can there are barely any worth while savings even in the 1 year promo which you can't get subsequent years.
Therefore, ironically, I am forced to recommend Teksavvy with an average upfront cost of 150 (modem + activation) + the first month of service.
It is recommend to buy the modem at Bestbuy with an extra warranty (ask if its offered).
You'll be paying something like 46$ a month after taxes.
You'll enjoy 25mbits / second speed, not too long ago highspeed was considered especially by rogers internet salesman to be 3 mbits / s, so this is at least 4x faster than what you already have, maybe even 8x faster.
You enjoy 300GB of content per month + whatever you download between 2AM-8AM (unlimited downloads between these hours).
Better tech support.
Better speed consistency.
Better longterm price.
If someone takes legal action against you, teksavvy says on their webpage that you will be notified of any request for information or legal action made against you regarding your service.
Teksavvy has come a long way from the average joe internet they started from.

Oh and as far as phone service goes, avoid both Acanac and Teksavvy and go with magic jack plus :)
Oct 22, 2012
115 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
hows the service of teksavvy here in toronto?
Dec 10, 2013
1 posts
How is the 3web internet connection? is it fast and okay ?

Scrounger wrote: I would have to say 3web is the cheapest.....$29.95 a month with unlimited bandwidth..!! And if you want to buy the modem its only $60. I pay $36.65 taxes included for service and modem rental. If I owned the modem it would be $31.45 after tax.....
Feb 25, 2007
6 posts
1 upvote
LASALLE
I would stay away from Acanac. At least once a year, Bell technicians would purposely disconnect my internet line because they know i dont subsribe to their service. When that happens I would be wihtout internet for One month while trying to sort through the issue with the slow service at Acanac. Jit Hoong LIm
- Jit Hoong Lim
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.
Feb 27, 2014
2 posts
I find that the swindlers are more the big phone companies such as Bell and Videotron. Look their prices which are stunning for a small service .
For 1 year, I turned to the small operators cheap or there is a good value for money and no commitment.
I have quits videotron for Bravo Telecom . It's a internet providers in Canada and they propose a high speed internet service .
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10407 posts
1122 upvotes
Toronto
cheapests would be your local library free wifi.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)