Computers & Electronics

Cheapest High Speed Internet Provider in Canada

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2016 8:09 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2003
7451 posts
237 upvotes
sickcars wrote: They also got Unlimited Bandwidth for $39.95/month but 200gb is probably enough. Also for every person you refer you get $1 off
your monthly bill as long as they are still a client at Teksavvy.
Does TekSavvy offer simultaneous PPPOE logon? Like on Sympatico, if you are already connected on one line at home and you can also log on somewhere else(like at a friend's place) with the same account and pw.
Thoughts and Prayers to the many thousands of civilians who perished from terrorists acts.
Sep 30, 2009
1 posts
Does anyone know if Acanac offers cheap high speed wireless packages as well? I went on there website and it said the Residential High Speed ADSL was a special promo price of $18.95/month inc tax. Also I would like to know if there are any other internet companies that have good prices on high speed wireless (not interested in bell or rogers)
please get back to me.
thanks.
Dec 31, 1969
If you sign up with Acanac residential internet up to 5M, all
you need is a wireless router to configure with the modem
and all your pcs with wireless adapters can pick up the signal
wirelessly. There are many isps and this website compares
and contrasts them http://www.canadianisp.ca/cgi-bin/ispse ... earch&p=ON
I use a Macbook with Airport express wifi router with
Lynx 210 modem from Acanac and have an old Compaq
laptop with a Netgear wireless card adapter on it.

For those interested in online speed tests:
Using Acanac fiber optic network browser
available to residential dsl customers too
[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/590331680.png[/IMG]

Using Acanac regular dsl
[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/590327846.png[/IMG]

Acanac speedtest http://www.acanac.ca/speedtest/
Download Speed: 3561 kbps (445.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 590 kbps (73.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Modem test http://192.168.1.1
5056/ 800

Bell Portal profile speeds
5056 / 800

Imelda O. Suzara
Acanac Rep
Paquette200 wrote: Does anyone know if Acanac offers cheap high speed wireless packages as well? I went on there website and it said the Residential High Speed ADSL was a special promo price of $18.95/month inc tax. Also I would like to know if there are any other internet companies that have good prices on high speed wireless (not interested in bell or rogers)
please get back to me.
thanks.
Dec 31, 1969
Acanac lets its dsl internet customers access to the
faster fiber optic line through a network if you email
support@acanac.com with your username
http://acanac.ca/SSH-Tunnel-U.htm
It is an expensive fiber optic line that has 10M+ speeds
for browsing and is available for free to dsl customers
including ssh tunnel, online storage, emails.
Read more on Features Panel http://acanac.net/ and
community forum http://community.acanac.com/acanac/viewforum.php?f=44
There is also a paid version with VPS server and the
new Zazeen https://www.zazeen.com/OnlinePC.html .

Imelda O. Suzara
Acanac Rep
Jon Lai wrote: What's the Acanac Fibre Optic network browser?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13432 posts
297 upvotes
Midland
Don't just look at the price.
I have been with Teksavvy for over a year and couldn't be happier. It's much cheaper than Bell Sympatico and Rogers, but more expensive than the really cheap ISP's.
If you do some research on Teksavvy, you'll find that the vast majority of subscribers are very pleased with their service.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
good luck with acanac. i had a very bad ride with them.
running dual lines on tek now and i must say their customer service is the best i have seen from any company.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3863 posts
367 upvotes
Toronto
infamouskid wrote: good luck with acanac. i had a very bad ride with them.
running dual lines on tek now and i must say their customer service is the best i have seen from any company.
yah i understand there are a lot of bad reviews (but also a lot of good ones too just to be fair). i should be close enough to bell CO to get decent speeds (none near what i had with rogers though). gonna take my chances with the 1 month trial!
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
one should look at what cheap is.
for me when i buy things especially off advice on rfd i always look at what is offered.

for 29.95 + 4.00 i get my dsl access on peer1 routing and i also get a static ip with Usenet access and a proper throttled connection to the internet. no ssh software needed. and it applies to the whole connection. i also have great customer service from agents that done lie and always call you back when they say they will follow up. and normally these services alone will run you anywhere from 10.00 and up for each feature.

now when you compare all of that and you measure that up from all the other rfd'ers and the companies review on dslreports that's saying a lot. and it also saying that no other isp can offer that much for that little.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3863 posts
367 upvotes
Toronto
infamouskid wrote: one should look at what cheap is.
for me when i buy things especially off advice on rfd i always look at what is offered.

for 29.95 + 4.00 i get my dsl access on peer1 routing and i also get a static ip with Usenet access and a proper throttled connection to the internet. no ssh software needed. and it applies to the whole connection. i also have great customer service from agents that done lie and always call you back when they say they will follow up. and normally these services alone will run you anywhere from 10.00 and up for each feature.

now when you compare all of that and you measure that up from all the other rfd'ers and the companies review on dslreports that's saying a lot. and it also saying that no other isp can offer that much for that little.
i do agree that communication with acanac (minus imelda on this forum and certain acanac users who aren't employees on community.acanac.com forum who have all been pretty good thus far while i wait for service) is a bit lacking.

the sign up process is bizarre and they don't give you any follow up info (besides your welcome email/login/password/etc) once you pay. i had to contact tech support just to find out when my dry loop installation would even arrive. i had to contact them again on an unrelated issue in which they then told me my dry loop installation had to be rescheduled due to address issues. if i didn't go out of my way to contact them, i would have had absolutely no idea what was going on. other than that, i'm hoping once my service starts that i won't have to be contacting tech support too much. i'm usually pretty good with troubleshooting my own network issues anyway.

ps you also get free static ip from acanac if you request it.

the one downer is that mlppp currently is not ready on acanac but its supposedly coming soon. apparently there's a 'beta signup' for it to try out though. i'm already setup hardware-wise (wrt54g + tomato/mlppp + tp-link modem) when it does. they are charging a one time $10 fee for mlppp which is obviously a good price, but i'm not sure how that is going to be sustainable in the long run. we shall see..
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
stevelam wrote: i do agree that communication with acanac (minus imelda on this forum and certain acanac users who aren't employees on community.acanac.com forum who have all been pretty good thus far while i wait for service) is a bit lacking.

the sign up process is bizarre and they don't give you any follow up info (besides your welcome email/login/password/etc) once you pay. i had to contact tech support just to find out when my dry loop installation would even arrive. i had to contact them again on an unrelated issue in which they then told me my dry loop installation had to be rescheduled due to address issues. if i didn't go out of my way to contact them, i would have had absolutely no idea what was going on. other than that, i'm hoping once my service starts that i won't have to be contacting tech support too much. i'm usually pretty good with troubleshooting my own network issues anyway.

the one downer is that mlppp currently is not ready on acanac but its supposedly coming soon. apparently there's a 'beta signup' for it to try out though. i'm already setup hardware-wise (wrt54g + tomato/mlppp + tp-link modem) when it does. they are charging a one time $10 fee for mlppp which is obviously a good price, but i'm not sure how that is going to be sustainable in the long run. we shall see..
is this a dual mlppp fee? or is this still the same flaky mlppp service they already had that they didn't even know of? (i know sad) anyways the way their mlppp worked before is that they just happened to have mlppp enabled on SOME of their routers but it wasn't network wide. and they didn't even know what this was at the time. it just so happened the routers they had supported this feature.
i do agree imelda's service has been good. much better then the prior service i have witnessed in the past. and yes their phone support is horrible. i had some old lady answer the phone and it didn't even sound like she liked her job at all. 10 dollar one time fee for flaky mlppp i guess is ok. but if it is not a dedicated support product and does not have its own dedicated hardware or is fully supported on multiple lines i wouldn't be switching anytime soon. i mean its good they are trying to improve on areas they lack at. but i still feel acanac has a way to go. ppl will still sign up based on the price. but if you remember a while back when they had those free logins and ppl signed up right away because of price it sparked a huge huge huge backlash of pissed off and poorly treated customers.
Dec 31, 1969
Acanac support does depend on the incoming calls and emails
of customers. Only a few technicians are allowed to call out.
Billing is done by emailing customers. When a customer emails
one of the departments, an automated ticket reply is sent to
the customer with a link to keep track. It is important to keep a
paper trail record with ticket history of all complaints and repairs
and to coordinate between the Acanac and Bell technicians until
the repair is complete to the customer's satisfaction or they cancel.

Imelda O. Suzara
Acanac Rep
stevelam wrote: i do agree that communication with acanac (minus imelda on this forum and certain acanac users who aren't employees on community.acanac.com forum who have all been pretty good thus far while i wait for service) is a bit lacking.

Banned
Nov 29, 2005
4853 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Imelda_Acanac wrote: Acanac support does depend on the incoming calls and emails
of customers. Only a few technicians are allowed to call out.
Billing is done by emailing customers. When a customer emails
one of the departments, an automated ticket reply is sent to
the customer with a link to keep track. It is important to keep a
paper trail record with ticket history of all complaints and repairs
and to coordinate between the Acanac and Bell technicians until
the repair is complete to the customer's satisfaction or they cancel.

Imelda O. Suzara
Acanac Rep
You totally ignorred my question sister! why?
How do you like dem apples, Bro?
Dec 31, 1969
That quote was to answer another question or posting.
Can you repost your question so I can reply or send a pm?

Imelda O. Suzara
Acanac Rep
Paolo wrote: You totally ignorred my question sister! why?
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3863 posts
367 upvotes
Toronto
i am now with acanac!

my initial speedtest is as follows (acanac.ca/speedtest):

Download Speed: 4163 kbps (520.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 609 kbps (76.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

that falls in line with what imelda promised me according to my location. pretty good so far..although its only been a day :P
Jul 24, 2008
1 posts
Toronto
I have had Acanac for a yr now. I must say, their initial lack of communication was a little annoying, but once I communicated through email I always got great support. Also, since the initial installation hiccup I have had absolutely no problems with the service.

However I do have a couple of questions:

1. How does one get credit for the referral svc?

2. If I drop my bell line, will my Internet svc cost go up? That is, if I don't have a bell line through which you can provide the svc, are you going to charge me some type of fee for a line?

Thanks
Dec 31, 1969
Here are the answers to your questions:
1. Referral for Free Internet
After initial 30 days, customer you referred emails
your name to billing@acanac.com and you get
1 month added to your renewal date. By the 10th
new customer referral, you get free internet for life
http://www.acanac.ca/Referral.htm
At sign up form, your referral can also put your name
in the Comments box, then email it after 30 days.

2. Dsl internet requires use of a phone line. If
you cancel your active phone line (wet loop), you will
need a naked dsl (dry loop) at $8 month or $96 year
which goes to Bell for using the phone line.

Imelda O. Suzara
Acanac Rep
Merlin90 wrote: I have had Acanac for a yr now. I must say, their initial lack of communication was a little annoying, but once I communicated through email I always got great support. Also, since the initial installation hiccup I have had absolutely no problems with the service.

However I do have a couple of questions:

1. How does one get credit for the referral svc?

2. If I drop my bell line, will my Internet svc cost go up? That is, if I don't have a bell line through which you can provide the svc, are you going to charge me some type of fee for a line?

Thanks
Oct 21, 2009
26 posts
Toronto
If you have Rogers/Bell and you have been a long time customer, try to see if you can get a retention plan. Its cheaper, same service but you have to stay with them for a year or so. But tell them Bell/Rogers is giving you a better deal (make something up) and I wanted to know if you can match that because they are giving a great offer.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)