Cell Phones

Cheapest mobile data-only options in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 24th, 2017 3:23 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
26599 posts
1626 upvotes
Winnipeg
death_hawk wrote:
Jul 21st, 2016 11:02 pm
Are you missing a zero or something?
In this day and age how are people NOT using more than 1GB of data a month?
i did miss a zero when i thought you only had 30TB of server space, you know 300TB is a lot more than a lot of businesses.
4930k/32gb/256gb ssd/8tb hdd/win10pro/msi 290
bst/free stuff/btc/ether
[OP]
May 5, 2008
685 posts
148 upvotes
elwebmaster wrote:
Jul 20th, 2016 12:09 pm
Wifi everywhere.
Is it possible to rely nowadays on some random wifi for all your communications from ur cellphone
(which could include now sensitive/personal stuff like banking, work related confidential info etc),
with an unknown/irregular encryption and an unknown internet connection etc...

I do not know that's why asking... Is there any significant security difference in using your "own" connections vs random wifies in this respect ?
Mar 20, 2016
274 posts
92 upvotes
Kursor17 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2016 7:09 pm
Op, depends on your usage.

Tbaytel Prepaid.
+ Data rolls over month to month since it has 1 year expiry with 20GB $125 (ie $6.25/GB)
+ No credit check
+ Lower cost per GB
- Initially high start costs for SIM
- HSPA+

Tablet Flex Data Plan (eg Fido $15 1GB, $35 5GB)
+ Low start up costs
+ LTE
- Credit check
- Data doesn't roll over month to month
Why a credit check is a negative thing? I just signed up with Fido for their flex data plan...
Apr 18, 2008
907 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto
Tichi wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2016 12:45 pm
Is it possible to rely nowadays on some random wifi for all your communications from ur cellphone
(which could include now sensitive/personal stuff like banking, work related confidential info etc),

I do not know that's why asking... Is there any significant security difference in using your "own" connections vs random wifies in this respect ?
good idea to use a VPN
Amerifriend threads need to include instructions on how to acquire an amerifriend. :confused:
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
2225 posts
385 upvotes
Toronto
Tichi wrote:

Good thing to ask is how could someone on same wifi hijack your connection?

Better question will be what program do I need on my pc to view data on an android phone over wifi?
Apr 21, 2016
137 posts
50 upvotes
sneakerfan wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2016 1:40 pm
Why a credit check is a negative thing? I just signed up with Fido for their flex data plan...
Companies use credit scores to deem your trustworthiness when applying for credit cards, loans, mortgages, and postpaid service. Insurance and renters also look at credit scores.
A hard credit check will lower your credit score.
This is to prevent people from applying for too many lines of credit at the same time. Banks are aware of fraudster tactics.

All post paid cellphone lines will incur a hard credit check.
That is why the koodo 10 day unlimited data idea mentioned on this thread is an absolutely terrible idea (your credit will quickly suffer)

You dont have to worry if you incur an occassional credit check. Your credit score will rise back to a healthy score (and improve afterwards) as long as you pay the monthly bill on time.

Go here for credit score info, so we can keep on topic
ask-me-about-credit-scores-1099125/
Temp. Banned
Sep 18, 2012
1356 posts
237 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
danieltoronto wrote:
Jul 21st, 2016 7:54 pm
I said that was just me. The stuff that I like are generally available before hand
Ok true enough! Just used to so many people here saying their way is the only way.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
1891 posts
830 upvotes
Tichi wrote:

You are bringing up a good point but it needs to be taken into context. While open networks make it easy for others to capture your traffic, that doesn't mean that traffic on the cellular network or your "secure" home wifi is safe. Every piece of traffic gets send through numerous routers between you and the receiving site (usually 10-15) controlled by various entities. At each step of the way the traffic may be intercepted or recorded. In fact we know that most traffic (including encrypted traffic) is captured, stored and analyzed for legal compliance and intelligence gathering . You may get some piece of mind by relying on the "green lock" in your browser (HTTPS) and expecting that app developers take you security seriously by adopting such technologies in their apps as well. That's largely a false perception of security. Turns out this technology can also be setup in many broken ways that make it not much more secure than plain unencrypted communication. Add to that services like CloudFlare which allow websites to fool your browser by making it show a green lock while sending the data unencrypted behind the scenes. Or if you want to get really extreme: the organizations responsible for ensuring these "green locks" are given only to legitimate sites and not to others who are trying to steal your data, have made a number of mistakes (willingly or not) over the years and broken that expectation of trust. The idea of using a VPN to "secure" your data is also largely a hoax, because an unknown number of people have access to your unencrypted data on the other end. So unless you are VPNing into your home/work and you are confident the VPN was setup by a qualified professional, you may be taking more risks by using it.

In other words, you shouldn't have any expectation of privacy or security when using a public network whether it is open wifi, or the cellular network, or the public internet (i.e. The Internet).
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1271 posts
182 upvotes
Mississauga
Tichi wrote:
you can setup your home router as a VPN server. you connect to that router when you're on the road, and the traffic between your phone is encrypted up to that point.
Feb 3, 2013
594 posts
253 upvotes
Field BC
Cityfone is offering $5 discount for their plans. Also you get LG G pad III 8.0 for free on 5GB plan.

If you are planning on going on 5GB plan with somebody, it sounds like a sweet deal.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3508 posts
395 upvotes
Richmond Hill
i'm using fongo wth the fido flex plan and voice quality is only good if you got a strong LTE signal. There are many common places that has poor signal such as Costco, various malls and in business buildings if you are not close to a window.

i wouldn't rely with the above if you frequently make important calls (e.g. phone interviews). If you want both (good voice and a cheap data plan with no contract), i would suggest a dual sim phone that can do 3G and LTE simultaneously like the OP3. For voice, get a pay as you go or prepaid.
Feb 3, 2013
594 posts
253 upvotes
Field BC
yesstyle wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2016 10:01 pm
i'm using fongo wth the fido flex plan and voice quality is only good if you got a strong LTE signal. There are many common places that has poor signal such as Costco, various malls and in business buildings if you are not close to a window.

i wouldn't rely with the above if you frequently make important calls (e.g. phone interviews). If you want both (good voice and a cheap data plan with no contract), i would suggest a dual sim phone that can do 3G and LTE simultaneously like the OP3. For voice, get a pay as you go or prepaid.
Agree. I don't recommend data only for those who rely on phone for sales or such. It's okay for majority of people but it's just never 100% when you need them.

I didn't think Fongo would give any trouble in GTA as long as it's on LTE - but according to yesstyle it is. In the west delay is quite noticeable and it really needs to be on good LTE.

Data to data calls work wonders though such as hangouts. I really feel like phone number is antique when I can get better call quality doing data to data calls.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
1891 posts
830 upvotes
MobiShopper wrote:
Jul 24th, 2016 12:16 am
Agree. I don't recommend data only for those who rely on phone for sales or such. It's okay for majority of people but it's just never 100% when you need them.

I didn't think Fongo would give any trouble in GTA as long as it's on LTE - but according to yesstyle it is. In the west delay is quite noticeable and it really needs to be on good LTE.

Data to data calls work wonders though such as hangouts. I really feel like phone number is antique when I can get better call quality doing data to data calls.
It's just the app you guys are using, but I won't argue, if you say it's bad then so be it. From technical view point there is no difference between data to data and data to voice, if anything data to data is harder to do right because it relies on both mobile connections while data to voice relies only on one mobile connection. The voice part is handled by the VoIP company and goes over gigabit dedicated channels just like with the cell carrier. But I won't argue because I know there are many factors that can affect the experience including: the phone (if the OS chooses to prioritize other apps over the VoIP call), the cellular network (if they choose to throttle VoIP calls although I believe it is against net neutrality rules), the VoIP provider (if they offer free service and use overloaded servers), etc. So one needs to test the service with their particular setup and make a choice for themselves. It worked great for me and I am ready to switch back to it if I need to (I was using Hangouts exclusively for calls).
Feb 3, 2013
594 posts
253 upvotes
Field BC
There is a difference. Most data to data calling apps use modern codecs such as Opus, Speex or whatever that's implemented.

Data to voice, most if not all apps use G711, G729. Those aren't designed for cellular networks and do very poorly at the first sign of degradation.

I only touch rooted bareboned devices with plenty of computing power. I am also on data plan but I can't say it is great for people to rely on it for important functions. Even hangouts on perfect strong LTE drops packet on somedays.
[OP]
May 5, 2008
685 posts
148 upvotes
MobiShopper wrote:
Jul 24th, 2016 11:06 am
There is a difference. Most data to data calling apps use modern codecs such as Opus, Speex or whatever that's implemented.

Data to voice, most if not all apps use G711, G729. Those aren't designed for cellular networks and do very poorly at the first sign of degradation.

I only touch rooted bareboned devices with plenty of computing power. I am also on data plan but I can't say it is great for people to rely on it for important functions. Even hangouts on perfect strong LTE drops packet on somedays.
google tells us that Fongo uses
low-bandwidth codec (SILK) or the higher bandwidth (PCMU) codec..

Are those modern/good for mobile internet?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)