Cell Phones

Cheapest mobile data-only options in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2017 3:21 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 5, 2008
912 posts
208 upvotes
elwebmaster wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2016 2:58 am
You are bringing up a good point but it needs to be taken into context. While open networks make it easy for others to capture your traffic, that doesn't mean that traffic on the cellular network or your "secure" home wifi is safe. Every piece of traffic gets send through numerous routers between you and the receiving site (usually 10-15) controlled by various entities. At each step of the way the traffic may be intercepted or recorded. In fact we know that most traffic (including encrypted traffic) is captured, stored and analyzed for legal compliance and intelligence gathering . You may get some piece of mind by relying on the "green lock" in your browser (HTTPS) and expecting that app developers take you security seriously by adopting such technologies in their apps as well. That's largely a false perception of security. Turns out this technology can also be setup in many broken ways that make it not much more secure than plain unencrypted communication. Add to that services like CloudFlare which allow websites to fool your browser by making it show a green lock while sending the data unencrypted behind the scenes. Or if you want to get really extreme: the organizations responsible for ensuring these "green locks" are given only to legitimate sites and not to others who are trying to steal your data, have made a number of mistakes (willingly or not) over the years and broken that expectation of trust. The idea of using a VPN to "secure" your data is also largely a hoax, because an unknown number of people have access to your unencrypted data on the other end. So unless you are VPNing into your home/work and you are confident the VPN was setup by a qualified professional, you may be taking more risks by using it.

In other words, you shouldn't have any expectation of privacy or security when using a public network whether it is open wifi, or the cellular network, or the public internet (i.e. The Internet).
I obviously give up and cannot resist NSA or likes surveillance...
So, i consider my own home internet/mobile internet providers to be safe enough..
With encryption etc safe enough for my banking etc...

My (and average Joe's) concern more about possible malicious agents on unknown/random wifi networks..
E.g is using my banking apps is safe enough over such networks... is logging to my gmail/outlook/work e-mail safe (presumably they all use TLS or whatever it is called encryption)... stuff like that... probabbly using ssh/sftp over a random wifi is safe, right?
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2013 posts
885 upvotes
Tichi wrote:
Jul 24th, 2016 6:37 pm
google tells us that Fongo uses
low-bandwidth codec (SILK) or the higher bandwidth (PCMU) codec..

Are those modern/good for mobile internet?
SILK is the same codec Skype uses, so if you call Skype to Skype that's what will be used. PCMU is the default codec of phone lines, when you pick up a POTS phone that's what it uses. Anything that is not PCMU eventually gets transcoded (converted) to PCMU before it reaches the phone system. The LTE networks are plenty fast to support PCMU calls so I am really not sure why the codec would be relevant.
G729 was a codec developed for use on 3G (before HSPA) networks, it is a efficient codec and should work great in fringe coverage. It's not needed if LTE is available.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2013 posts
885 upvotes
Tichi wrote:
Jul 24th, 2016 6:44 pm
I obviously give up and cannot resist NSA or likes surveillance...
So, i consider my own home internet/mobile internet providers to be safe enough..
With encryption etc safe enough for my banking etc...

My (and average Joe's) concern more about possible malicious agents on unknown/random wifi networks..
E.g is using my banking apps is safe enough over such networks... is logging to my gmail/outlook/work e-mail safe (presumably they all use TLS or whatever it is called encryption)... stuff like that... probabbly using ssh/sftp over a random wifi is safe, right?
Yes, everything that is from big providers and uses TLS is safe. Smaller sites may misconfigure TLS making it vulnerable but the chance of there being someone on the same network waiting to hack a weak TLS connection is very slim I would say. And Chrome usually doesn't show the lock icon if the server is misconfigured (i.e. hackable). I would say TLS over any open network is safe, at least until the encryption is broken which is probably at least a decade or two away for a non-state adversary.
Feb 3, 2013
594 posts
253 upvotes
Field BC
Tichi wrote:
Jul 24th, 2016 6:37 pm
google tells us that Fongo uses
low-bandwidth codec (SILK) or the higher bandwidth (PCMU) codec..

Are those modern/good for mobile internet?
If indeed Fongo uses SILK it's horrible implementation of it. Lag is so huge I have to talk like one way radio. A person I recommended going on data plan with Fongo also says voice calls are horrible.
[OP]
May 5, 2008
912 posts
208 upvotes
So, basically, https browsing, e-mails banking apps etc should be safe over a random wifi, while VoIP itself is not...
I have seen some encryption options in zoiper, but I do not know if voip.ms or fongo supports any encryption of voip data
(is SIP registration, sending passwords etc encrypted in voip/ms / fongo?)

Also what about e.g google play? I presume it is encrypting you google account data when sending them.. but what about downloads?

An then all numerous apps one has should be judged on case-by-case basis, is not it?

So, I'd say it is pain in the neck to make everything encrypted over a random wifi, unless one uses a trustful vpn...
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2009
1517 posts
93 upvotes
Markham
If you haven't read the Snowden documents, you should take some time and read them. There's a reason why a properly setup server, weather it be simple SSH server or some other type, will ensure no one can intercept or break down the encryption between two endpoints.

Open wifi is definitely NOT safe, I wouldn't use it to begin with, even with VPN since a lot of background data is being transmitted by apps even before you initiate your VPN connection.

Just imagine that the internet, where ever you are using it, is like an open public field, like a huge park. If you need to talk to someone far away, you need to ask other people to "pass" along the message. Now that message can be in your secret language (encrypted) or just plain common language (plaintext). Who's to say the 10-15 people who pass your message to won't analyze/steal/read/sell/pass on what you want to say to other parties?

Nothing is 100% safe, but without proper encryption algorithms like weak DSA with SHA1, ECDSA with SHA256, SHA384 or SHA512 or a properly encrypted VPN tunnel, just surf as you would surf with 10000000 people looking from behind you.
Need help on Rogers plans? Don't bother unless you like spending hours with them...
dumping Rogers? hmm...
Jan 13, 2009
59 posts
5 upvotes
SecretSauce wrote:
Jul 20th, 2016 10:26 am
Many large work environments have heavy restrictions on internet at work. For example, all social media is blocked at my place of employment, as well as anything related to gambling/gaming. So I can't even check lotto 6/49 numbers at work.

Therefore I use about 3-4 GB of data because I don't connect to the wifi at work.
this is very easy to solve. i personally have a VPN server running on my openWRT router and a VPN client on my smartphone. Another way to solve this is to use a free or a paid third party vpn solution. Another solution, get a free or cheap virtual servier. Amazon offers free micro instance for 12 months: https://aws.amazon.com/free/
Jan 13, 2009
59 posts
5 upvotes
FlashEngineer wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2016 11:52 am
Open wifi is definitely NOT safe, I wouldn't use it to begin with, even with VPN since a lot of background data is being transmitted by apps even before you initiate your VPN connection.
my vpn app has a feature that locks all network traffic until vpn connection is established. not sure if it works 100% but it doesn't really mean you are unsafe later on. unless you are planning on hacking US government and are concerned that they may later have a very very close look at the logs and try to find unencrypted traffic originated from the same MAC. so I don't really see an issue with open WiFi behind your VPN hopefully you are still accessing sites through encrypted protocols so that the link between the VPN server and the site/api is protected. These days you have to be nuts to transmit anything private over raw HTTP/FTP/SMTP etc.
Jan 13, 2009
59 posts
5 upvotes
Tichi wrote:
Jul 24th, 2016 8:02 pm
So, basically, https browsing, e-mails banking apps etc should be safe over a random wifi, while VoIP itself is not...
I love how everyone is obsessed about privacy of voip all of a sudden. regular phone lines are totally unencrypted and it was totally fine up until just now. yes, if you want to encrypt your voip data, you better use a reputable VPN. it's really not that hard to get one. and better make sure you pay in bitcoins too :) but... why? P.S. you start encrypting your voice, next thing you know there is RCMP van parked right outside of your house lol
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27756 posts
788 upvotes
Dildo, NL
Gee wrote:
Jan 15th, 2017 9:14 pm
Why are you reviving an old thread?
lol.

Happy New year stranger.
unlim national, unlim Global SMS, CD/VM, 8Gb of Blazing Fast LTE $45
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Yota Mafia]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Photobucket, Suck a Big Fat Stinkin'...
Jun 27, 2012
702 posts
49 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Ever thought of downloading good movies from home on to your phone? Might save a bunch. Or read something uplifting? Torrent sites can fill that phone to the brim with educational or just mindless entertainment.
Oct 7, 2016
980 posts
468 upvotes
Zoomer's tablet data plan may suit your needs. $35 for 5gb of data, plus a free tablet with a 2 year contract. Looks like no contract would be $40 - 10% off BYOD discount = $36 for 5gb.

If you've never heard of Zoomer, it's is owned and operated by Cityfone which is owned by Rogers. Uses Rogers towers and Zoomer has the same reception as Rogers.

Edit: Ooopps. Didn't realize this thread is from 2016 Confused Face
Zoomer: $45 4GB LTE Loyalty Plan
Ebates: Lifetime Cash Back - $625.34
Tangerine: 2.4% interest for new chequing & savings accounts

OP of the Zoomer Wireless $36 2GB LTE Promo
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4180 posts
472 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Gee wrote:
Jan 15th, 2017 9:14 pm
Why are you reviving an old thread?
Gee wrote:
Jan 16th, 2017 5:00 pm
Back from the dead?
That does happen. You search a topic and found it. Somehow you missed the date of the last message
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS/MMS/incoming call

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)