Cell Phones

Cheapest mobile data-only options in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2017 2:41 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 5, 2008
753 posts
168 upvotes
rolomonster wrote:
May 6th, 2017 11:53 pm
Zoomer's tablet data plan may suit your needs. $35 for 5gb of data, plus a free tablet with a 2 year contract. Looks like no contract would be $40 - 10% off BYOD discount = $36 for 5gb.

If you've never heard of Zoomer, it's is owned and operated by Cityfone which is owned by Rogers. Uses Rogers towers and Zoomer has the same reception as Rogers.

Edit: Ooopps. Didn't realize this thread is from 2016 Confused Face
Heh, funny, an almost one-year-old thread has been resurrected.
During this time I've been moving precisely in the direction indicated in the OP :)
I got almost what you suggest, even slightly better -
FIDO 15$/3GB/month internet-only plan, with $10/GB extra usage.

Thus, my cost at minimum is $5/GB, slowly raising to $7.5/GB on average at the margin of 6GB monthly usage,
and then increasing to $10/GB for unlimited usage. Moreover,
rumours are circulating that one can get further 50% off the above deal.
Data prices are falling!

Now I'm taking a leisure of testing an playing with the plan, but
soon will be ditching voice/text alltogether.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
3955 posts
436 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Tichi wrote:
May 7th, 2017 11:13 am
)
Ditto.
I am still to ditch the Chatr 2 nd SIM that costs $20 a month.
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS & incoming call
[OP]
May 5, 2008
753 posts
168 upvotes
danieltoronto wrote:
May 8th, 2017 3:00 am
Ditto.
I am still to ditch the Chatr 2 nd SIM that costs $20 a month.
For me, the major obstacle preventing me going full voip right now is that, like a Buridan's donkey,
I cannot chose between fongo and voip.ms. Neither is perfect. Fongo gets often stuck, not receiving incoming calls.
Voip.ms does not have own SMS app, and I do not want to rely on a third party..

Regardless, I m not in a hurry. I pay now about $30/4GB/month (with discounts) for my Public Mobile plan,
plus $15/3GB for FIDO plan (used mostly as a hot spot, and also shared with family),

So, overall $45/7GB/month and unlimited talk/text... I can live with that long time until better voip software comes into play :) ...
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
3955 posts
436 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Tichi wrote:
May 8th, 2017 10:09 am
For me, the major obstacle preventing me going full voip right now is that, like a Buridan's donkey, I cannot chose between fongo and voip.ms. Neither is perfect. Fongo gets often stuck, not receiving incoming calls.
Voip.ms does not have own SMS app, and I do not want to rely on a third party..
Instead of Fongo/voip.ms I use TextMe. It is perfect for sms. But voice call quality at times is iffy. That is why I still need Chatr plan for back up. Nonetheless its LD call quality (from Far East to Canada/U S) is even better than carrier to carrier (or land line) call. That costs is reasonable too @ 2 cents/min. While in the Far East , I used local SIM to call back Canada. It turned out that voip call through TextMe is better than that by a wide margin.
Chatr costs me $20 a month for unlimited local call...that is a good deal particularly in view of the calling habit of my family.
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS & incoming call
Dec 31, 2010
68 posts
2 upvotes
Chatham
Hey guys, how did you manage to get the plan from Fido? I called and they give me the BS of "it's only for existing customers"
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
12933 posts
2875 upvotes
Toronto
FunkyMcBain wrote:
May 17th, 2017 2:06 pm
Hey guys, how did you manage to get the plan from Fido? I called and they give me the BS of "it's only for existing customers"
Well be resourceful and try to play within these rules. Ask a friend or family member to help.
Dec 31, 2010
68 posts
2 upvotes
Chatham
Tichi wrote:
May 7th, 2017 11:13 am
Heh, funny, an almost one-year-old thread has been resurrected.
During this time I've been moving precisely in the direction indicated in the OP :)

Thus, my cost at minimum is $5/GB, slowly raising to $7.5/GB on average at the margin of 6GB monthly usage,
and then increasing to $10/GB for unlimited usage. Moreover,
rumours are circulating that one can get further 50% off the above deal.
Data prices are falling!

Were you an existing Fido customer when you got that plan or did you manage to get it without being one?
[OP]
May 5, 2008
753 posts
168 upvotes
FunkyMcBain wrote:
May 18th, 2017 11:55 am
Were you an existing Fido customer when you got that plan or did you manage to get it without being one?
No I was not. I got mine in Dec 2016, when it was available to everyone. I'm sure it will be available again soon, in the time span of half-year or so, especially
to watch closely back to school and black friday events :)
[OP]
May 5, 2008
753 posts
168 upvotes
BTW, speaking of cost per mobile GB of data,
the champions so far are those users who were able to get a 50% loyalty discount on the above mentioned Fido plan.

So, now they are paying $2.5/GB which is already closely approaching Western Europe typical rates!

Go, Canada! :)
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
12933 posts
2875 upvotes
Toronto
Tichi wrote:
May 18th, 2017 6:55 pm
BTW, speaking of cost per mobile GB of data,
the champions so far are those users who were able to get a 50% loyalty discount on the above mentioned Fido plan.

So, now they are paying $2.5/GB which is already closely approaching Western Europe typical rates!

Go, Canada! :)
To be totally accurate, we are paying $7.50 per plan. The actual cost per gig is variable depending on how much of the 3 gig allotment is consumed.

I find that most people I know are so schitt scared of going over allotment that they purposely buy way more data than they consume. This gives them comfort and protection against bill shock. This is like being on a strict calorie reduced diet and eating at buffet restaurants every night.
[OP]
May 5, 2008
753 posts
168 upvotes
will888 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 10:01 pm
To be totally accurate, we are paying $7.50 per plan. The actual cost per gig is variable depending on how much of the 3 gig allotment is consumed.

I find that most people I know are so schitt scared of going over allotment that they purposely buy way more data than they consume. This gives them comfort and protection against bill shock. This is like being on a strict calorie reduced diet and eating at buffet restaurants every night.
Yea, of course the minimum price per GB is achieved at 3GB usage exactly. On the other hand, 3GB is sort of a monthly sweet spot usage for many people now , so one'd never expect to deviate much out of it.

Well, as I'm saying at least it moves in the right direction. Ideally, I'd love to have an opportunity to buy a bucket of e.g. 50GB from a " mobile data wholesaler", and use it at my own pleasure and pace..
Dec 3, 2010
1 posts
winnipeg
Here is the fido plan link for anyone:
http://www.fido.ca/consumer/promotions
Get 3GB of tablet data for only $15/month!
For a limited time, get 3GB of data for $15 per month1 when you bring your own tablet or activate a new one.

Does anyone know of a cheaper data only card for very small amounts of data? Under 100 mb per month - for alarm back up.
Jul 2, 2017
1 posts
modchipcanada wrote:
Jun 24th, 2017 3:23 pm
Here is the fido plan link for anyone:
http://www.fido.ca/consumer/promotions
Get 3GB of tablet data for only $15/month!
For a limited time, get 3GB of data for $15 per month1 when you bring your own tablet or activate a new one.
Fido will not give you a tablet data plan unless you have a regular mobile plan that includes talk/text/data. Cheapest mobile plan start at $45/month.
Last edited by Yodameister on Jul 3rd, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 20, 2013
12 posts
Sault Ste. Marie
modchipcanada wrote:
Jun 24th, 2017 3:23 pm
Does anyone know of a cheaper data only card for very small amounts of data? Under 100 mb per month - for alarm back up.
Yes Telus for an extra $5 off. I use prepaid with them. Auto renew on my cc $10 a month goes to my prepaid balance (currently at over $200 because I used to rarely use my phone), and from my balance they have an addon called 'data 10' which is 100MB for 30 days at $10.

For those curious they also have data 25 (500MB) and data 30 (1GB). 30$ for 1GB is expensive, this fido thing seems really good, too bad its only for existing customers.