None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
1110 posts
168 upvotes
Whitby

Cheapest Oil Change

Where's the cheapest place to go now for an oil change? I'd be interested in options for conventional and synthetic. It is a small car that would not involve any oil quantity upcharges. Also, do any of the major lube chains do changes if you BYO oil+filter?
I know of Meineke which will do a conventional oil change for an advertised $19.95 ($22.54 w/tax), do they tack on eco BS or fees onto that?

Cost for me to do it myself is either $34 for synthetic or $20.34 for conventional , taxes in. I'm reaching a point where I'm not sure its worth rolling in the dirt for an hour to save $10 if there are reasonably priced options out there.

I'd be looking in the Oshawa/Whitby area or the Aurora/Newmarket area.
43 replies
Nov 15, 2009
553 posts
206 upvotes
cant beat costco for synthetic
i save over $50 per change
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1333 upvotes
pessimism wrote:
Jul 10th, 2013 4:55 pm
Where's the cheapest place to go now for an oil change? I'd be interested in options for conventional and synthetic. It is a small car that would not involve any oil quantity upcharges. Also, do any of the major lube chains do changes if you BYO oil+filter?
I know of Meineke which will do a conventional oil change for an advertised $19.95 ($22.54 w/tax), do they tack on eco BS or fees onto that?

Cost for me to do it myself is either $34 for synthetic or $20.34 for conventional , taxes in. I'm reaching a point where I'm not sure its worth rolling in the dirt for an hour to save $10 if there are reasonably priced options out there.

I'd be looking in the Oshawa/Whitby area or the Aurora/Newmarket area.
Where have you been going for oil changes up till now ? And how much have you been paying ?

What model year and how kms on your car ?
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2006
1877 posts
424 upvotes
Burnaby
Walmart is $35 for conventional. At my walmart they use Purolator filter and Penzoil bulk; there are eco fees for the oil and the filter
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
413 upvotes
Toronto
Wow where do you guys find oil change places for under $25? I recently tried to change the oil on a 4-cylinder small car and prices ranged from $35 to $50 in third-world ghetto mechanic shops in the GTA where I figured it would be cheapest, I didn't even tried to go to other more trendy places.
Banned
Apr 27, 2010
6280 posts
446 upvotes
Help me
Gammatron wrote:
Jul 10th, 2013 11:21 pm
Wow where do you guys find oil change places for under $25? I recently tried to change the oil on a 4-cylinder small car and prices ranged from $35 to $50 in third-world ghetto mechanic shops in the GTA where I figured it would be cheapest, I didn't even tried to go to other more trendy places.
Active Green and Ross is quite cheap. Maybe around $20-25. It shouldn't take you an hour to change your oil. If you have a hydraulic jack it will make getting under the car easier.
Dec 13, 2012
206 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
Just made an oil change a week ago.

100% synthetic quakerstate $18 5 L + Oil filter for $5 + paid 10 bucks to the mechanic to do the job. All came out to be $33 taxes in. And I have 1 liter of oil left.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2006
5603 posts
9381 upvotes
Comox Valley , BC
I've used Midas - they usually charge $29.95 + taxes, I believe - I think you can get a $5 off coupon at their website - http://midas.com/Services/OilChange/tab ... fault.aspx

Yes, I realize it's not cheaper than what you posted - just saying another option for other people...
Banned
Apr 15, 2006
4572 posts
124 upvotes
Chatham
NEVER go to those quick lube place. You've been warned.

If you want cheap oil change, only check your local independent shop. Especially the one you can stay near the work area and see the mechanic working.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33483 posts
7524 upvotes
Ottawa
jetway1212 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2013 3:54 am
If you want cheap oil change, only check your local independent shop. Especially the one you can stay near the work area and see the mechanic working.
I suspect the million customers a day across North America would disagree with you.

As for cheap oil changes, there has been a trend at some shops to use re-refined (recycled) oils. There is nothing wrong with them and they are cheaper. If you can find one that uses re-refined oil, you may save a few bucks.
Best line I have heard in a very long time LOL "I don't argue....I educate." Anonymous
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1333 upvotes
jetway1212 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2013 3:54 am

Why's that ?
DrAlex wrote:
Jul 11th, 2013 12:29 am
Just made an oil change a week ago.

100% synthetic quakerstate $18 5 L + Oil filter for $5 + paid 10 bucks to the mechanic to do the job. All came out to be $33 taxes in. And I have 1 liter of oil left.
No way that's ' 100% synthetic ' ...it's likely a lower quality semi or ' full synthetic '.

That said, $18 for 5L of ' full synthetic ' seems pretty darn good.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Dec 13, 2012
206 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
poedua wrote:
Jul 11th, 2013 8:26 am

No way that's ' 100% synthetic ' ...it's likely a lower quality semi or ' full synthetic '.

That said, $18 for 5L of ' full synthetic ' seems pretty darn good.
No, It's QuakerState Ultimate durability 100% full synthetic.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
1110 posts
168 upvotes
Whitby
poedua wrote:
Jul 10th, 2013 5:42 pm
Where have you been going for oil changes up till now ? And how much have you been paying ?

What model year and how kms on your car ?
DIY, 2008 148K. Normally use full synthetic.
Banned
Apr 15, 2006
4572 posts
124 upvotes
Chatham
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jul 11th, 2013 7:23 am
I suspect the million customers a day across North America would disagree with you.

As for cheap oil changes, there has been a trend at some shops to use re-refined (recycled) oils. There is nothing wrong with them and they are cheaper. If you can find one that uses re-refined oil, you may save a few bucks.
Millions across NA eat McDonalds and KFC every day too.. Is it healthy way to feed yourself? No

General public isn't aware of quick lube place using recycled oil. In some case they scammed you for other "top -up" service. How would they disagree if they dont even know? Anyway, suit yourself...