Cheapest pay as you go with a phone?

• Last Updated:
  • May 14th, 2018 12:27 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6948 posts
2695 upvotes

Cheapest pay as you go with a phone?

My parents need a cell phone but won't really use it. Are there any cheap pay as you go wtih a phone? Or is the easiest to buy a used phone?
20 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2609 posts
683 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Get a cheap prepaid phone and unlock it. They go on sale at Walmart & Bestbuy all the time.
LG and Motorola phones are the cheapest to unlock. (under $5)

Get a 7eleven Speakout SIM card for $10 and top up for $25 (good for a year).
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
What Mobifree said ⬆️⬆️⬆️
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
baz5 wrote: My parents need a cell phone but won't really use it. Are there any cheap pay as you go wtih a phone? Or is the easiest to buy a used phone?
The cheapest plan (grandfathered; not current) is the Freedom Mobile PAYG plan of min $40 for 6 months, $5/mth for unlimited text with free incoming call and text. Outgoing call costs 25 cents/min
The cheapest current plan belongs to 7-11 as mentioned above
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6230 posts
4830 upvotes
Usually I can my make my minimum purchase of a $25 phone voucher at 7-11 last 6 months. However, I'm sure there are a few RFD members here who can probably make the whole $25 last a full year. LOL
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Mr_Fanta wrote: Usually I can my make my minimum purchase of a $25 phone voucher at 7-11 last 6 months. However, I'm sure there are a few RFD members here who can probably make the whole $25 last a full year. LOL
It is entirely workable indeed.

I will be switching over shortly

I have got the Fido plan (in a 2 SIM phone configuration) that costs $15 for 3 Gb a moth which provides the LTE data. If people call me on the 7-11 line, I just call back with Hangout dialer right away. That is all.
Daniel

Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2013
6084 posts
1868 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
danieltoronto wrote: It is entirely workable indeed.

I will be switching over shortly

I have got the Fido plan (in a 2 SIM phone configuration) that costs $15 for 3 Gb a moth which provides the LTE data. If people call me on the 7-11 line, I just call back with Hangout dialer right away. That is all.
Dialer does not support called I'd.
FreedomMobile 35% Friends & Family
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
6145 posts
3617 upvotes
Toronto
Mr_Fanta wrote: Usually I can my make my minimum purchase of a $25 phone voucher at 7-11 last 6 months. However, I'm sure there are a few RFD members here who can probably make the whole $25 last a full year. LOL
I'm one of those < $25 a year folks.
Bought the $100 with $25 bonus and free phone in Nov 2015, got a $25 top up in Nov 2016 and still have $100+ balance.

Not sure how that will hold up when they raise the rates mid March: http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/phone-rates.html
NOTICE: Effective March 14, 2017 the per minute talk rate will be $0.30/per minute for incoming and outgoing calls. This new rate will include Canadian Long Distance calls. There is no longer an additional charge for Canadian Long Distance. This change also applies to any overage minutes incurred on 30-Day Value Plans.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
d1ulove3 wrote: Dialer does not support called I'd.
POTS (plain old telephone service) had not had caller id until maybe 10 years ago.
Also if your buddy or relative calls you and you call right back, caller id may not be needed.
I do agree if a cell phone is critical for work/job (say a sales job), Hangout dialer would not make the cut.
Daniel

Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6948 posts
2695 upvotes
mobifree wrote: Get a cheap prepaid phone and unlock it. They go on sale at Walmart & Bestbuy all the time.

ROYinTO wrote: I'm one of those < $25 a year folks.
Bought the $100 with $25 bonus and free phone in Nov 2015, got a $25 top up in Nov 2016 and still have $100+ balance.

Not sure how that will hold up when they raise the rates mid March: http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/phone-rates.html
danieltoronto wrote: POTS (plain old telephone service) had not had caller id until maybe 10 years ago.
Also if your buddy or relative calls you and you call right back, caller id may not be needed.
I do agree if a cell phone is critical for work/job (say a sales job), Hangout dialer would not make the cut.
What about the Telus $10/month package? Comes with 50min per month. I think that might be better. I know if he is paying 30cents a minute eveyr time i phone he will be rushing me off the phone lol.
Feb 25, 2008
358 posts
22 upvotes
$10 will give you 33 mins with speakout so your only gaining 17 min (based on the new rates in March). If you dont use more then 33mins per month your better with speakout. How much does telus charge per call after 50min? How much extra is cdn long distance with telus? Speakout has a $20/month prepaid plan gets 100min/month Cdn wide.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
danieltoronto wrote: I do agree if a cell phone is critical for work/job (say a sales job), Hangout dialer would not make the cut.
If a cell phone is critical for work, I wouldn't be relying on a VOIP setup anyway.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
Gee wrote: You wouldn't be using Speakout either.
Why not? It's on Rogers' 3G network with perfectly good coverage nationwide. It's going to be FAR more reliable, with far better audio quality than a VOIP provider on a data-only plan.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
530 upvotes
^^^
I think Gee meant Speakout isn't the right service for someone who's going to need it for work, presuming it means it will be used a lot, in which case the $0.30 per minute will quickly add up. If you have actual historical data of minutes used per month, you can figure out if it makes sense for you.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
wearysky wrote: If a cell phone is critical for work, I wouldn't be relying on a VOIP setup anyway.
That is why I am not ditching my Chatr $20 line yet. Occasionally my wife uses my phone to chit chat. And using wholly a VoIP line isn't a great move yet
Daniel

Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
notfromqc wrote: ^^^
I think Gee meant Speakout isn't the right service for someone who's going to need it for work, presuming it means it will be used a lot, in which case the $0.30 per minute will quickly add up. If you have actual historical data of minutes used per month, you can figure out if it makes sense for you.
That's exactly what I meant.
Banned
Oct 27, 2016
192 posts
44 upvotes
mobifree wrote:
Could you please mention which models of LG and Motorola Phones are less than $5?
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2609 posts
683 upvotes
Toronto, ON
johnjacobs12 wrote: Could you please mention which models of LG and Motorola Phones are less than $5?
Every single LG phone model, regardless of carrier cost only $5 to unlock and same goes for Motorola ($3).
If you are paying more than that to unlock these respective phones, you're paying too much.
Aug 6, 2017
15 posts
5 upvotes
Is following program still available in Mississauga/Toronto west ?
Any other cheaper program," Pay as you go for longer time in Toronto"??

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)