Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2010
5200 posts
161 upvotes
ccyk wrote:
Jan 9th, 2013 4:02 am
who say they have to die as food? like more expensive fish deserve to live?
They don't live long.

I have an aquarium at home and raised a lot of feeder fish- they die really fast even if you take care of it.
ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2010
5200 posts
161 upvotes
If you want an ACTUAL pet, there's hamsters or have you considered looking at pet adoption centres?
ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2004
2707 posts
27 upvotes
At first glance i thought it said " cheapest pot " . I almost sent you a " PM " . But never-mind , i know nothing about dogs .
Oct 20, 2010
364 posts
42 upvotes
Durham Region
Birds and small mammals can both be way more expensive and demanding than people think. Ease of care should matter at least as much as cost. I have 4 birds and they need a lot of attention and stimulation. Seeds, pellets, fresh foods, proper cages, frequent bedding changes, toys etc all add up fast for birds and small mammals. You can't just stick it in the cheapest, smallest cage you can find, change the bedding once a week and feed it seeds. Avian/small animal vet bills can be incredibly expensive and there are quite a few accidents and illnesses that can come up.

Setting up and maintaining a fish tank isn't always that cheap either. Between food, filter changes, water testing supplies and little extras it wasn't THAT cheap for me. It can be done for less money but quality food, filter and water testing supplies were "essentials" to me. It's also hard not to upgrade everything all the time and end up with a massive pimped out tank... Or 10. If you want a more interactive pet you can handle fish aren't the best option.

Axolotls can make really interesting and fairly inexpensive and easy aquarium pets. I've seen Axolotls for $30, a 10 gallon tank with mesh lid is also around $30. You need a small filter and thermometer and a few decorations and that's about it. The food isn't particularly expensive either.

Corn snakes and crested geckos are both inexpensive to purchase, set up and maintain. They both start around $25 and have longer lifespans, and are generally less likely to need vet care than birds or small mammals. A lot of more minor issues are treated easily and inexpensively by the owner.

A gecko setup can cost as little as $35, they generally don't need extra heat or light. They can eat a powdered food that's about $15 a bag. A bag will last at least a few months. Paper towels can be used as a substrate, or more visually appealing materials still don't cost much. They do need a little extra consideration because they're cold blooded and come from a humid climate but they're fairly low mainenance. They can be made into gorgeous displays in a living room or bedroom for an extra $100-150.

Corn snakes also start around $25 and a full setup (enclosure, under tank heating pad, and thermostat, thermometers, hides, bowls) can come as low as $100-120. You can even get "kits" from petsmart for $100 or less and add a thermostat for $50. They're not the best but not the worst either. Bedding is cheap and doesn't need to be changed as often as with a small mammal. frozen feeder rodents for an adults corn snake from a rodent supplier can be between $1-2 per week. The electricity cost is low. They can also make nice displays for a few extra dollars.

Hermit crabs, certain frogs, tarantulas and scorpions could be considered cheap pets too.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2009
4321 posts
655 upvotes
Scarborough
700mb80min wrote:
Feb 9th, 2013 12:32 am
At first glance i thought it said " cheapest pot " . I almost sent you a " PM " . But never-mind , i know nothing about dogs .
I laughed way more than I should have at this post lol
Nov 25, 2012
258 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
You can usually get a cat or kitten for free. If you can train the kitten or cat to be an outdoor cat, no litter box required. He or she can eat with you too, or you can feed it 19 cent goldfish. If your cat is very awesome and adorable it might even make you money via youtube.
× < >