Health & Wellness

Cheapest place to buy over the counter medication in GTA?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2019 1:51 pm
[OP]
Aug 20, 2019
2 posts

Cheapest place to buy over the counter medication in GTA?

Hi,

I am new to Canada and recently had to buy over the counter medication like Advil, Tylenol... regular stuff. I went to Shoppers Drug Mart and I believe I paid like $20 for a bottle of Tylenol.

Is there any other place where I can buy these over the counter medications cheaper? Are there any websites specific to Canada for me to search?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
2170 posts
807 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
You're going to pay more, almost but not always all the time, for branded medication. I won't speak for everyone else here but I think most people are happy with generics (in the case of Advil - ibuprofen, Tylenol - acetaminophen, Aspirin - ASA, naproxen sodium, Voltaren - diclofanec sodium, Aleve - naproxen, etc. - trade names may vary depending on where you came from) when it comes to NSAIDs. Costco is good place to buy huge volumes of it.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
May 12, 2009
241 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
I find Shoppers Drug Mart expensive. Rexal is not bad. Guardian Pharmacy is also reasonable. Several years ago I was looking for shingles vaccine. Shoppers Drug Mart was the most expensive. Two years ago I went to Shopper to get flu vaccine and afterwards the pharmacist asked me to recommend them to my family and friends. Costco is very good, and more importantly, their service charge is low compared to other pharmacies. One simply needs to shop around. One more thing, one does not need to have a membership at Costco to shop at their pharmacy.
Dec 23, 2015
806 posts
927 upvotes
serbianbelle wrote:
Oct 8th, 2019 3:41 pm
One more thing, one does not need to have a membership at Costco to shop at their pharmacy.

You do if you're buying OTC products , you don't on prescription medications.
Nov 23, 2010
249 posts
52 upvotes
Montreal
For pain killer like Advil or Tyronote, you can just buy the cheaper version at Chinese drum store and pay up much cheaper.
Dec 29, 2012
830 posts
259 upvotes
Scarborough
I buy the store brands at Food Basics
Apr 28, 2019
19 posts
11 upvotes
always buy *generic* instead of trade names
example:
generic: ibuprofen
trade: advil, motrin

my go to place is walmart
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10341 posts
2619 upvotes
Markham
serbianbelle wrote:
Oct 8th, 2019 3:41 pm
I find Shoppers Drug Mart expensive. Rexal is not bad. Guardian Pharmacy is also reasonable. Several years ago I was looking for shingles vaccine. Shoppers Drug Mart was the most expensive. Two years ago I went to Shopper to get flu vaccine and afterwards the pharmacist asked me to recommend them to my family and friends. Costco is very good, and more importantly, their service charge is low compared to other pharmacies. One simply needs to shop around. One more thing, one does not need to have a membership at Costco to shop at their pharmacy.
SDM is always more expensive on everything.
People buy stuff there because of convenience.
I buy stuff there only when there are on sale, or when I have a manufacture coupon, cash back on CO51, Optimum PC offer or all of them above, then it will be a good deal. lol
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8302 posts
1315 upvotes
Toronto
Metro and Walmart isn't bad.
Some No Frills and Freshco stores have a pharmacy section with pharmacists as well.
Food Basics may have some general OTC stuff in the toothpaste isle.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12592 posts
1959 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Buy the store-branded versions of the name brands.
De gustibus non est disputandum