Request-A-Deal

Cheapest place in Toronto to change battery watch?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 17th, 2017 1:10 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 29, 2010
135 posts

Cheapest place in Toronto to change battery watch?

I am assuming Chinatown (if you know of a place there, let me know!) but want to hear if there are other places that would do it cheaper.
9 replies
May 2, 2007
200 posts
10 upvotes
Not sure what neck of the woods you live in, but there is a place in Market Village that charges $5. He has a little booth right across from One's.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2004
4225 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
pingwinki wrote:
Oct 1st, 2011 5:16 pm
Not sure what neck of the woods you live in, but there is a place in Market Village that charges $5. He has a little booth right across from One's.

+1.

Mr. Chan has been in business for ages and does very good job at reasonable price.
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
176 upvotes
Burnaby
I bought a cheap case opening kit on eBay and now I always change my own. Shoppers Drug sells Duracell silver oxide watch batteries for like two bucks, and there you know what kind of quality you're getting. Watch repair places may buy their batteries from nondescript Asian dealers in bulk and a lot of the time they're crap. You don't even know if they're even actually giving you a new battery or not, or if they're subbing cheaper alkaline cells instead of silver oxide.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
9822 posts
2904 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Wingding wrote:
May 5th, 2012 10:07 pm
I bought a cheap case opening kit on eBay and now I always change my own.
+1
You don't even know if they're even actually giving you a new battery or not, or if they're subbing cheaper alkaline cells instead of silver oxide.
I bought a strip (5 or 6?) of SR626SW batteries for maybe $2 from DX (or similar) a number of years ago. Each battery lasts a couple of years so I'm pretty sure they're silver oxide. But even if they're not it doesn't matter because it takes me maybe a minute or two to change them.

And now that I have the tools, I can also offer battery replacement, strap adjustments, etc. services to selected family and friends ;)
veni, vidi, Visa

Help me boost my Downvote count. Please click 👎 below. Thank you.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
18675 posts
2184 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Diana_Dang wrote:
Oct 1st, 2011 4:16 pm
I am assuming Chinatown (if you know of a place there, let me know!) but want to hear if there are other places that would do it cheaper.

Even if there are less expensive places to change batteries, is it worth your time and effort to save a few $$$?
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Sep 23, 2010
246 posts
30 upvotes
A couple of years ago, went to Walmart with my watch as I wasn't sure which battery I needed. The lady at the watch counter had the tools, opened my watch, got a replacement Duracell (don't remember the cost of the battery, like 6 bucks I think...) and put the new one in.
Dec 27, 2008
168 posts
8 upvotes
pickering flea market some guy in there does it for $3
May 6, 2012
8 posts
1 upvote
TORONTO
I did it at a jewelry store in Sherway Gardens right in the center. They charged me 10 dollars.
I trust it was a new one.
Feb 24, 2015
1 posts
Toronto
5 dollars...that was more than 6 yrs. ago now they charge 13 dollars I asked Chinese battery watch person at shoppers world at Danforth ave.