• Last Updated:
  • Mar 29th, 2017 10:29 pm
[OP]
Aug 24, 2011
840 posts
275 upvotes
Montreal

Cheapest way: 416 or 647 phone number forwarded to my Montreal #

Moved to Toronto but not ready to drop my 514 mtl # (don't want to give up my Quebec data plan).

My building requires that I get a local 416/647 # so that they can program it to the directory. They said that it won't work if I have a 514 #

So basically I just need a TO # forwarded to my mtl# for when guests buzz in.

What's the cheapest way?
35 replies
Mar 6, 2017
2 posts
Create a prepaid account with whichever service and ensure you register a desired 416 or 647 number (chatr, koodo, telus etc)

Simply call in to whichever provider you have and request a port-in (bringing a new number and replacing it with your current one). They will ask for the desired number you registered on your prepaid account as well as the account number that was assigned to it.

Voila, you'll be able to keep your QC rate. If you're with Koodo you can do the port in all by yourself in the online self serve as opposed to calling into customer service
[OP]
Aug 24, 2011
840 posts
275 upvotes
Montreal
ji2o0k wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 11:14 am
VOIP with the 416#....forwarded to your MTL#....

Guessing it won't be often that you get called on the 416#....so costs should be low...
Would this be fongo? What are the costs?
[OP]
Aug 24, 2011
840 posts
275 upvotes
Montreal
Gee wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 11:28 am
Does it have to be a landline? Is the line tied to the intercom?
I don't think it needs to be a landline
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
19268 posts
1431 upvotes
joshua18 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 11:17 am
Would this be fongo? What are the costs?
I believe most RFDers like freephoneline.ca.....one time fee of $50 to port your number but after that, everything is free (even call forwarding)..

If you want to use the #, you'll have to buy a Obi adapter to hook up to your home phone...- I think there was a sale on Hot Deals for $49.99 + $5 shipping from ncix...

Found it: OBIHAI200 for $49.99 + $1.50 EHF + $4.99 SH

newegg-obihai-obi200-ata-49-99-1-50-ehf ... x-2083622/
Last edited by ji2o0k on Mar 7th, 2017 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25426 posts
2760 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
ji2o0k wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 11:32 am
I believe most RFDers like freephoneline.ca.....one time fee of $50 to port your number but after that, everything is free (even call forwarding)..
There is no number to port. He needs a new number that he can call forward to his cell phone. Cost will be $75 for config file and $50 for the ATA (Analogue Telephone Adapter)

Just not sure if it will work with his intercom system in his building
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
19268 posts
1431 upvotes
Oops, my bad....thought there was a number to port...

Good point about the intercom system...if his building is newer, it should work...they just need a 416/647# to program in the directory....and once he gets called, he can press a specific number to open the door.

I had this at my old condo....my number was on my cell and I pressed "7" on my cell to open the door.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2578 posts
457 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Try voipms as well... has lots of configuration options... use obi with it.

Textnow and Textme might work also... but not sure how well that would work with intercom.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8061 posts
2365 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 11:32 am

I believe most RFDers like freephoneline.ca.....one time fee of $50 to port your number but after that, everything is free (even call forwarding).
It's $25+tax to port a phone number to Freephoneline, but there's no need to port anything.

It's $79.95 + tax if you want to configure FPL on anything other than its free desktop app. But using an ATA, IP phone, or SIP app is not required either, based on what joshua18 wrote.
joshua18 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 9:08 am
Moved to Toronto but not ready to drop my 514 mtl # (don't want to give up my Quebec data plan).

My building requires that I get a local 416/647 # so that they can program it to the directory. They said that it won't work if I have a 514 #

What's the cheapest way?
Cheapest solution, based on your responses, is to use Fongo Mobile on your smartphone. Get a free Toronto 647 number. In the app's settings, forward all calls to your Montreal number for free.

You will need to place an outgoing call once every 90 days with Fongo Mobile. Otherwise, you will lose your account (unless you've paid to port in a phone number, have an active SMS subscription, or have available World Credits on your account): https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... t-deleted-

or

Register with FPL for free: https://www.freephoneline.ca/accountRegistrationStepOne, select a Toronto phone number, login at https://www.freephoneline.ca/followMeSettings, enable Follow me, select "Simultaneous", enter your Follow Me (Montreal) phone number, and click "Submit". You will need to use the FPL desktop app once every 90 days to place an outbound call (unless you've paid for the VoIP unlock key, paid to port in a phone number, or have available World Credits on your account) to not lose your account: http://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en-u ... t-deleted-

FPL desktop app can be found here: https://www.fongo.com/app/desktop/ (I know it says "Fongo" all over the place there; it's really Freephoneline).

The FPL desktop app doesn't need to be running in order for FPL to forward calls.

Anyway, you can try those options first. If they don't work for you, then at least you didn't lose any money.

Neither Fongo Mobile nor Freephoneline require internet access to forward calls.
Last edited by Webslinger on Mar 7th, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.51x). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
Jan 20, 2013
407 posts
55 upvotes
Woodbridge
I have an old number that I prefer to keep. Have an account with viop.ms.
you just need an initial deposit of $25. your account with new either 416/647 or whatever you like would be created and alive in a matter of minutes.
The cheapest option would cost you $0.85 per month to keep your number.
Then rate per minute is $0.009, counted by 6-second(not sure) incrementing. You setup call forward to your 514 number. Actually, you are paying for the incoming and outgoing call, so your rate would be 0.018c/min.
If you answer and open door let's say in 20 sec, you would pay per call 0.6c :-) How often you are expecting a visitors?
you do not need any hardware at home (unless you would like to use it as a real phone:-).
What I really like about viop.ms, the support is always available through chat and there are no monkeys, they know to fix any issue or help with setup.
I myself setup several intercoms with voip.ms. So far no complains
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4171 posts
472 upvotes
NORTH YORK
georvu wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 5:53 pm
Try voipms as well... has lots of configuration options... use obi with it.

Textnow and Textme might work also... but not sure how well that would work with intercom.
Textme should work. I trust the OP has data and call to the Textme app will ring the phone as if it is through a SIM.
The OP should get the free 647#(I did) and try it out. No harm done.
The operation does not involve forwarding at all.
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS/MMS/incoming call
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4171 posts
472 upvotes
NORTH YORK
joshua18 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 9:08 am

What's the cheapest way?
Try the free way first through "Textme" at the play store as mentioned above.
Do not go with textme.com
Incoming calls are free
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS/MMS/incoming call
[OP]
Aug 24, 2011
840 posts
275 upvotes
Montreal
danieltoronto wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 12:32 pm
Try the free way first through "Textme" at the play store as mentioned above.
Do not go with textme.com
Incoming calls are free
Text me seems to force me to buy a 647 (only 6.50 for a full year).... I used the app not .com