• Mar 29th, 2017 10:29 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
3645 posts
386 upvotes
NORTH YORK
joshua18 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 1:39 pm
Text me seems to force me to buy a 647 (only 6.50 for a full year).... I used the app not .com
Just tried it out on my wife's phone. It is free. Zero need to pay unless if you want
After you click on "create an account" then the choice (of different area code) comes out. 416# is no no though
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan & $20 unlimited Can call
[OP]
Aug 24, 2011
837 posts
275 upvotes
Montreal
danieltoronto wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 6:43 pm
Just tried it out on my wife's phone. It is free. Zero need to pay unless if you want
After you click on "create an account" then the choice (of different area code) comes out. 416# is no no though
I must be doing something wrong then.

Look at my screenshots...
Images
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
3645 posts
386 upvotes
NORTH YORK
joshua18 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 10:38 pm
I must be doing something wrong then.

Look at my screenshots...
Suggestion:
1.Uninstall the app
2.reinstall the app again
3.it has to be right from the beginning ...getting started............
4.click on "create an account"
5.then get a phone number

I did that again in my wife's phone this morning and getting screen shots is PITA.
See if that corrects the problem.
BTW I refer only to Android system (not iPhone)

Even though this link is for getting a free US #, it is the same idea and set up as I mentioned above

Daniel

Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7557 posts
2087 upvotes
danieltoronto wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 12:30 pm
Textme should work. I trust the OP has data
The operation does not involve forwarding at all.
Using cellular data or Wi-Fi for calls is a lot less reliable than what I posted, unless the Montreal # is with a VoIP provider.
What I posted works even when the OP doesn't have access to cellular data, Wi-Fi, or internet access (and it's free).

You don't need to forward either to receive calls with Fongo Mobile, but then the OP would be relying on flaky cellular data or Wi-Fi.

Relying on internet access (cellular data/Wi-Fi) is not a good solution for something as important as apartment buzz-ins.

In particular, cellular data, especially 3G, introduces the potential for increased pings and jitter (ping spikes), which are the bane of VoIP calls.
Last edited by Webslinger on Mar 11th, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.36). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
3645 posts
386 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Webslinger wrote:
Mar 11th, 2017 5:19 pm
Using cellular data or Wi-Fi for calls is a lot less reliable than what I posted, unless the Montreal # is with a VoIP provider.What I posted works even when the OP doesn't have access to cellular data, Wi-Fi, or internet access (and it's free).
You don't need to forward either to receive calls with Fongo Mobile, but then the OP would be relying on flaky cellular data or Wi-Fi.Relying on internet access is not a good solution for something as important as apartment buzz-ins.
(1)Well the OP has data as he mentioned but with a Montreal #.
(2)It is true that VOIP calls may not be suitable for critical tasks. But answering apartment buzz in does not fall into the category of being "critical".
(3) There is high chance that the 647# of Textme may not be able to buzz in apartment visitors. But there are many other free choice of the OP (e.g. fongo, Textnow.........). In a couple of minutes that can be tested out.
Daniel

Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7557 posts
2087 upvotes
danieltoronto wrote:
Mar 11th, 2017 8:43 pm
(1)Well the OP has data as he mentioned but with a Montreal #.
It doesn't matter if the OP has data. Having data doesn't make its use any more reliable.
What matters is if the Montreal # is with a VoIP service provider.

It is true that VOIP calls may not be suitable for critical tasks. But answering apartment buzz in does not fall into the category of being "critical".
I would consider that to be very critical, especially when having guests, business contacts, and couriers buzzing me. And then if someone in my household happens to need an ambulance . . .
In each case, there's no way I would want to have to rely on a superintendent, neighbour, or myself having to rush downstairs to open a door when my internet access (cellular or Wi-Fi) fails.

Regardless, cellular data and Wi-Fi (or internet access) are additional points of failure. I'm not in the habit of defending additional points of failure, unless there's a backup solution.

There is high chance that the 647# of Textme may not be able to buzz in apartment visitors. But there are many other free choice of the OP (e.g. fongo, Textnow.........). In a couple of minutes that can be tested out.
I did mention Fongo Mobile. Forwarding calls with Fongo Mobile or FPL does not require an internet connection. And both options are free.

Other options posted in this thread, so far, either cost money or rely on internet access.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.36). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
3645 posts
386 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Webslinger wrote:
Mar 11th, 2017 8:51 pm
It doesn't matter if the OP has data. Having data doesn't make its use any more reliable.
What matters is if the Montreal # is with a VoIP service provider.
In the first post, he confirmed he has a good Montreal data plan. So definitely it is not with a VOIP service provider.
Daniel

Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7557 posts
2087 upvotes
danieltoronto wrote:
Mar 11th, 2017 9:26 pm
So definitely it is not with a VOIP service provider.
Then what I posted is more reliable because nothing I suggested requires internet access (cellular data or Wi-Fi), which would be an additional point of failure.
If internet access is not available (and cellular data can be extremely flaky), the call is still forwarded to the Montreal number and can be answered using regular cellular airtime.

If internet access is available, the call can be answered either using Fongo Mobile (or FPL) or by using regular cellular airtime (Montreal number). Answering using the Montreal number is the better option.

If neither of these options work, a solution involving (the traditional use of . . ., i.e. not hardwired into existing wiring) a cellphone won't work either.
Last edited by Webslinger on Mar 11th, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 10, 2017
229 posts
60 upvotes
GTA
Get a voip.ms account, top up the minimum of $25 usd + Canadian tax. Buy a Toronto number for $.95, keep it for $. 85/month. Have the number forward to your Montreal number directly. Don't have to worry about some app or Internet problem about the calls. $.009/min for the calls
Information Security Analyst
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7557 posts
2087 upvotes
MadCanadian wrote:
Mar 12th, 2017 6:43 am
Get a voip.ms account, top up the minimum of $25 usd + Canadian tax. Buy a Toronto number for $.95, keep it for $. 85/month. Have the number forward to your Montreal number directly. Don't have to worry about some app or Internet problem about the calls. $.009/min for the calls

1) This is the most expensive solution listed. The OP asked for the cheapest method. There is no need for people to pay money when they can accomplish the exact same thing for free.

2) question-about-telephone-service-option ... #p25468891
Pianoguy wrote:FreePhoneLine and VoIP.ms provide very similar services. The pricing structure is different, and VoIP.ms has more complex inbound call routing options, but the actual VoIP is the same. VoIP.ms even uses Fibernetics (FreePhoneLine and Fongo Mobile's parent company) as one of their carriers, so some of the service is literally identical.

3) You don't need an app to forward calls with Freephoneline (the forwarding setup is online). And you can even delete the Fongo Mobile smartphone app and calls will still be forwarded. You can delete both the FPL and Fongo Mobile apps (except that you need to place a free outbound call once every 90 days to keep the free account active--unless you have ported in a number, have a SMS subscription, have world credits, or in the case of FPL, have purchased a VoIP unlock key). The call forwarding feature does not require internet access, which has an advantage of completely bypassing the Fongo Mobile app (which I'm not a fan of other than to receive incoming faxes that can be viewed directly in the app).
Last edited by Webslinger on Mar 12th, 2017 10:47 am, edited 6 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7557 posts
2087 upvotes
georvu wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 5:53 pm
Try voipms as well... has lots of configuration options... use obi with it.
If there is electrical current running to the intercom panel or phone jack for it, that runs the risk of frying the ATA. The same precaution needs to be made when wiring an ATA to phone jacks in a house:
http://www.voipmyhouse.com/#thesolution.

If a smartphone works, there's no need for an ATA. If a smartphone works, VoIP.ms is the most expensive option listed in this thread so far.
Dec 25, 2013
30 posts
4 upvotes
BRAMPTON
Maybe not thee cheapest but possibly easiest is buy yourself a 7/11speakout card for $25 good for a year and you can pick up a cheap phone, possibly free, if thats all its for.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2010
1245 posts
392 upvotes
Toronto
Fongo? You get a 647 number. And it's free for call forward. You don't even need to use an app. All on the website for call forwarding settings

https://www.fongo.com
I love Witcher 3!!
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
3645 posts
386 upvotes
NORTH YORK
thiefa wrote:
Mar 12th, 2017 11:00 pm
Fongo? You get a 647 number. And it's free for call forward. You don't even need to use an app. All on the website for call forwarding settings

https://www.fongo.com
Ok. The forwarding part is accomplished. But will the OP be able to buzz guest in (an apartment building) through a forwarded VOIP call (re this topic)?
I think somebody can chime in
Daniel