• Mar 29th, 2017 10:29 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2010
1233 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
danieltoronto wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 8:40 am
Ok. The forwarding part is accomplished. But will the OP be able to buzz guest in (an apartment building) through a forwarded VOIP call (re this topic)?
I think somebody can chime in
I guess it all depends on the system the building is using?
My friends live in a really old apartment, their buzzers probably been installed for 4-5 years now? They use a fongo number to forward to both their cells.

I know this link isn't helpful: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... ty-Systems
But it does say Although many Fongo users may not have an issue using Voip in conjunction with apartment door buzzer entry systems only Fongo home phone doesn't work properly with it
I love Witcher 3!!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7518 posts
2068 upvotes
danieltoronto wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 8:40 am
Ok. The forwarding part is accomplished. But will the OP be able to buzz guest in (an apartment building) through a forwarded VOIP call (re this topic)?
I think somebody can chime in
It's not a VoIP forwarded call. VoIP only occurs between the VoIP user's smartphone, ATA, IP Phone, or computer, etc., and the SIP server. Because the call is never answered by the Fongo Mobile app, the call (more or less) never leaves the PSTN until it hits the (Montreal) cellphone. There's, in practical terms, zero difference between someone calling from POTS to a cell.

FWIW, VoIP.ms works the same way for forwarding calls. However, you're paying for its use, whereas forwarding with Freephoneline or Fongo Mobile to major cities is free.

Potential issues arise only when the call is answered--not forwarded--by either the Fongo Mobile app or the Freephoneline desktop app. The same potential issues apply for the other apps
mentioned in this thread, including TextMe, or if the Montreal # is with a VoIP service provider (which is why I asked).
Last edited by Webslinger on Mar 13th, 2017 9:49 am, edited 10 times in total.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.36). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7518 posts
2068 upvotes
thiefa wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 9:08 am
I guess it all depends on the system the building is using?
Yes, I have seen a really old system where cellphones won't work at all.
And that's the issue here--not the forwarded call to a non-VoIP number.
My friends live in a really old apartment, their buzzers probably been installed for 4-5 years now? They use a fongo number to forward to both their cells.
Yes, forwarding with Fongo Mobile, FPL, or VoIP.ms is, effectively, no different than if someone were using a landline service to forward a call.

I know this link isn't helpful: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... ty-Systems
But it does say Although many Fongo users may not have an issue using Voip in conjunction with apartment door buzzer entry systems only Fongo home phone doesn't work properly with it
That only matters if the call is being answered on Fibernetic's VoIP (Fongo/FPL) network--not forwarded to non-VoIP number. When the call is forwarded using either FPL or Fongo Mobile's service, what matters is what's being used on the receiving end (where the call is answered) of the call only. If the receiving end is VoIP, you can get into potential DTMF issues (amongst other things especially if cellular data is involved).
Last edited by Webslinger on Mar 13th, 2017 9:56 am, edited 8 times in total.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.36). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7518 posts
2068 upvotes
thiefa wrote:
Mar 12th, 2017 11:00 pm
You don't even need to use an app.
You do in order to keep the free account active, unless you've spent money: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... t-deleted-
In retrospect, it doesn't make a lot of sense to delete either the Fongo Mobile or FPL desktop app (depending on the service being used) for this reason.
Aug 2, 2010
13 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
joshua18 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 9:08 am
Moved to Toronto but not ready to drop my 514 mtl # (don't want to give up my Quebec data plan).

My building requires that I get a local 416/647 # so that they can program it to the directory. They said that it won't work if I have a 514 #

So basically I just need a TO # forwarded to my mtl# for when guests buzz in
What's the cheapest way?
I've been using fongo for 3 years now works like a charm and cost $0.00

All you need is to install the app, get a Toronto #. And set It up to always forward to your 514 number. You don't need to have fongo running. You Ned to exit the app to avoid having both numbers ringing.
[OP]
Aug 24, 2011
837 posts
274 upvotes
Montreal
Sorry I forgot to update. Big thanks to all... I went with the fongo call forwarding option, tested and it works like a charm
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel