Cheapest way to forward a land line number

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2019 7:41 pm
[OP]
Jun 3, 2017
108 posts
61 upvotes

Cheapest way to forward a land line number

I have a landline (on Fido home phone) that is no longer used. I want to retain the phone number and have all calls forwarded to my cell phone. What is the best and cheapest option I can go with? A search option in this forum turned up a bunch of recommendations for voip.ms, but it seems from their site that I have to purchase a modem-like device like the one Fido uses.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1132 posts
735 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
No need for an ATA device for your case. Just port your landline number to voip.ms and have it forwarded to your cell. Alternatively, you could answer your landline number "natively" on your cell with a SIP app once it's ported to voip.ms.
Dec 4, 2017
308 posts
103 upvotes
ATA device is just to interface with landline. You can just direct incoming calls on any voip.ms number to another service, such as forwarding it to your cellular number (for incoming only) or using a VoIP app that supports SIP for incoming and outgoing calls.

Many of us prefer to get dedicated feature-rich apps such as Groundwire or Zoiper, but the Android default dialler has also supported SIP natively for years. For reasons that I'm sure others can explain better, incoming calls occasionally get missed on mobile networks using regular SIP, which is why I paid the on-time cost to get Groundwire with its PUSH notification service, which never misses a call and saves on battery life.
[OP]
Jun 3, 2017
108 posts
61 upvotes
arkane wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 9:00 pm
No need for an ATA device for your case. Just port your landline number to voip.ms and have it forwarded to your cell. Alternatively, you could answer your landline number "natively" on your cell with a SIP app once it's ported to voip.ms.
Where exactly can the forwarding be setup? Online interface?
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1132 posts
735 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
You can find detailed instructions on this wiki page: https://wiki.voip.ms/article/Call_Forwarding

The wiki does a pretty good job of covering most of the essentials and a bit more. Definitely enough to get someone without any voip experience up and running.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
19334 posts
5547 upvotes
Long term or short term?

Freephoneline is cheapest (long term) but voip.ms offers more features.