Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 30, 2010
739 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto

Cheapest way to get tv channels..

We're cutting back on expenses, true RFDs, and would like input as to the cheapest way to get tv stations.

We've been paying Rogers but it's time to cut back.

Suggestions greatfully appreciated.

Someone suggested we watch shows on the internet. ????
22 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2009
2511 posts
322 upvotes
Toronto
Lucky Ducky wrote:
May 8th, 2010 9:00 pm
We're cutting back on expenses, true RFDs, and would like input as to the cheapest way to get tv stations.

We've been paying Rogers but it's time to cut back.

Suggestions greatfully appreciated.

Someone suggested we watch shows on the internet. ????
Seriously ??? How about an antenna ?
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
2838 posts
180 upvotes
Kingston
There's plenty of ways that you can get tv without having a sub

As dchabby said, you could invest in an antenna, but that would only bring in 5 to 10 channels depending on what kind of antenna you buy.

Other options:

- OTA
- FTA (either True FTA or modded)
- Download the shows that you regularly watch via torrents or buy a usenet sub
- Watch the shows through CTV, Global, etc when they are uploade to their server
- Watch the shows live through websites like ATDHE.net

That's just a few options
Apr 11, 2009
959 posts
11 upvotes
Markham
Pay your neighbour half of what they pay for tv and stretch a long coaxial cable :D Sorry ... Heard it from the "Whatever you like" Weird Al song ... just had to say it :D

It really depends what channels you're looking for .. If it's just news; I think that if you have Internet, you should be able to watch it ( like channels 1-13 ) ... unless you're looking for something like Cartoons or like discovery channel .. you gotta pay for it
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
6557 posts
526 upvotes
Victoria
I'm not sure if you're phone company out east (its telus out here in the west) has tv or not, but if they do....

just keep switching TV providers every 6 months. And keep getting the intro offers, then bail to the other TV provider.

Here there's TV from Telus and Shaw. Both only give you decent offers if you don't already pay them gobs of money... so all you have to do is rotate you services every 6 months and use the ultracheap intro offers.
Jan 15, 2008
856 posts
49 upvotes
Oil country
The cheapest Shaw Direct package i can see is the $25 Digital Lite package. (DSR 209 receiver). Im considering this package as i dont have a long enough ladder to my roof and cant be bothered with fiddling around with OTA antenna's and rotor setups. (Although in my heart i want to go this route in the future.) I also don't have an HD tv (or flatscreen for that matter), so utilizing an OTA antenna doesn't work for me right now... I have no idea how many analog signals i can get with an antenna in my area anyway.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13293 posts
231 upvotes
Midland
Obviously an antenna would be the cheapest - it's free. I guess that some young people have never heard of using antennas, but that's all we had back in the Seventies - at least where I lived, out in the country. Funny thing is we only got about 3 channels, but it seems like there were a lot more shows on TV back then that were worth watching. You can also watch sports games on the internet. There's a site called ATDHE.net, where you can watch the NHL, NFL, CFL, Baseball, NBA, etc.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1714 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
paulo500 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2010 8:18 pm
The cheapest Shaw Direct package i can see is the $25 Digital Lite package. (DSR 209 receiver). Im considering this package as i dont have a long enough ladder to my roof and cant be bothered with fiddling around with OTA antenna's and rotor setups. (Although in my heart i want to go this route in the future.) I also don't have an HD tv (or flatscreen for that matter), so utilizing an OTA antenna doesn't work for me right now... I have no idea how many analog signals i can get with an antenna in my area anyway.

Pick up a $20 internal antenna from WM and give it a shot. You may be surprised by the results. I watched the Winter Olympics on my PC using an ATI digital tuner card hooked up to a $20 antenna and got high-def coverage from the Buffalo stations, butter than what I got through cable. Being located in Toronto itself you may get even better results, even if you go with analog for the time being. The same antenna works with digital and analog signals BTW.
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Jan 15, 2008
856 posts
49 upvotes
Oil country
Tornado F2 wrote:
Oct 21st, 2010 12:13 pm
Pick up a $20 internal antenna from WM and give it a shot. You may be surprised by the results. I watched the Winter Olympics on my PC using an ATI digital tuner card hooked up to a $20 antenna and got high-def coverage from the Buffalo stations, butter than what I got through cable. Being located in Toronto itself you may get even better results, even if you go with analog for the time being. The same antenna works with digital and analog signals BTW.
Internal antenna definitely doesn't work out where i live. We had been using long rabbit ears but was only able to get 1-2 channels at a time, then would have to fiddle with it to get another channel in which would kill the previous channel we were watching. lol pita!
I've got one of those antenna-pc usb sticks but doesn't make much difference because none of our pc's are capable of decoding HD stations. If it could, it would be super choppy. (I won't want to have to boot up my pc in order to watch tv every time either.)

Right now the cheapest route is to cave in a get satellite for $25 per month. Else i would have to fork out ~$600 for a basic HD TV with an ATSC turner, a CM 8-bay-modded ($100), tripod and pole for the roof ($50), preamp ($60), 10,000 foot ladder to get up on my roof ($150). Add up these basic expenses, and it will take me over 3 years to break even. I don't have that kinda of money upfront.

I was able to find a Shaw rep that gave me a pretty sweet deal that was cheaper than the advertised price on their website, plus some extra bells and whistles...which helped ease the pain. lol
Apr 20, 2010
165 posts
cheapest TV is the internet now.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 2, 2006
5529 posts
469 upvotes
Mississauga
Ota antenna. Less than fifty bucks and you'll get a handful of channels, half in HD as long as the weather holds up.

Cheapest way I think unless you want to split cable 3 ways with each of your neighbors :D
Banned
Oct 19, 2010
7433 posts
1137 upvotes
Mississauga East
OTA in GTA is fantastic!
Picture quality is better than cable or satellite
× < >