• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2011 3:34 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 18, 2005
93 posts
1 upvote

Cheapest way to move cross canada

Whats the cheapest way to get furniture (only a couple pieces) from toronto to halifax?

ive looked into renting a minivan and their talking like 1000 dollars for a one way rental!

uhaul is like 800 bucks...

i just need a few pieces

please help!
6 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
1979 posts
7 upvotes
Kingston
sell it and buy used stuff when you get there
Sep 2, 2004
68 posts
It's easy to pick up used furniture in Halifax -- I've moved cross-country twice in the past year, and it hasn't been worth it to take furniture with me.
Deal Expert
Oct 15, 2002
18081 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
Check the toronto star classified section. Can also be found on their website too. I got this tip from a guy working at one of these moving companies when I was looking for someone to help move my bed. I think the smaller names are cheaper than the big ones like uhaul. Good luck!
Nov 22, 2003
48 posts
Port Alberni
Get the weight/size literature from Canada Post and eyeball your stuff. I know someone who moved from Toronto to the Charlottes by mail ... 50 boxes.

At one time there was a 30 lb. limit for $10/box. Besides going metric, the rules have changed.

Still might be an option for everything beside furniture - assuming the electronics fit into your car :) .

Owl
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2222 posts
224 upvotes
Nepean
Small companies are cheaper but sometimes sketchy. I was supposed to use a big company to move across canada a few years ago. They called 5 days beforehand and said they doublebooked and couldn't do mine. I searched and the only affordable company able to do it was a smaller one. We paid for extra insurance. When things arrived I was at work and my wife handled them. Unfortunately, I was the one who had taken care of the pick-up. THey told her to sign the sheet to make sure everythign was there. WE moved over 2000 lbs of stuff. They sort of stood there looking over her and she felt rushed so quickly glanced over everything and signed it. Long and behold I was missing my Electric Guitar and DVD player. I called to complain, they said, too bad we signed the paper. And that anyhow, they NEVER EVER lose anything. So be careful. Larger companies have a reputation to uphold, smaller ones could care less it seems.
Jan 10, 2011
1 posts
Vancouver
Hi,

I moved a few times within the last few years too and used www.cheapestwaytomove.com to get low quotes. It always worked out for me. I wish you guys good luck with your move. It can get stressful at times.

I hope this helped.

Pat
× < >