Request-A-Deal

Cheapest Way to NYC from TO

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 11th, 2006 2:37 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
2020 posts
40 upvotes

Cheapest Way to NYC from TO

I'm planning on spending a week in NYC in mid August and I'm looking for the cheapest way to get there, by plane, train or automobile. I've looked at flights out of TO, and Buffalo, buffalo being the cheaper of the two, I've also looked at Gray Hound busses. I've seen really low prices going with tour groups, but I don't really want to hand around with them once I'm there. Would I be able to hitch a ride with them and just meet up to get back home? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jim
47 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2005
4420 posts
144 upvotes
Mississauga
The cheapest way would be to walk from NY to T.O. Its not dat far, less than 500 miles. I've done it twice.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 13, 2003
1252 posts
22 upvotes
There are at least 2 private bus companies going back and forth. The one I know of for sure (I know the owner and took the bus a couple of times, 6 years ago or so) goes to NYC on Thursday night and comes back on Sunday or so. It's called Tourist Coach Lines Inc. - 416-739-6382. Dunno how much it costs these days, however back in the day it was a lot cheaper than Grey Hound.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
2020 posts
40 upvotes
DrSavant wrote:There are at least 2 private bus companies going back and forth. The one I know of for sure (I know the owner and took the bus a couple of times, 6 years ago or so) goes to NYC on Thursday night and comes back on Sunday or so. It's called Tourist Coach Lines Inc. - 416-739-6382. Dunno how much it costs these days, however back in the day it was a lot cheaper than Grey Hound.
Thanks, I'll look into that option. Any more ideas anyone?

Jim
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 20, 2005
1667 posts
21 upvotes
Milton
See if you know anybody that has a friend in the trucking business...They go into NYC all the time...I'm sure they wouldn't mind some one to talk too along the way....I once went to Nashville and back this way..Cost me lunch at a truckstop$10..Can't beat that.
Jr. Member
Sep 30, 2004
172 posts
I'm also interested in this, please post if you know of anything cheap :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7758 posts
151 upvotes
driving is the cheapest
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 10, 2004
1362 posts
toronto
jerryhung wrote:Greyhound round-trip is $160 CAD (student)
I took a bus there last august. Coach Canada is cheaper and they seemed to be using greyhound buses. If you goto the Bus Terminal on Bay, you can ask for student pricing on "Coach Canada" and "Greyhound", there will most likely be a difference. There is a bus that leaves around 8pm and arrives in NYC at about 8am the next morning.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 31, 2001
7569 posts
298 upvotes
Toronto
Wow, that's brave. I'd be worried that I might be sitting beside an ex-convict.

This might be cheap but not recommended.
coopaloop wrote:See if you know anybody that has a friend in the trucking business...They go into NYC all the time...I'm sure they wouldn't mind some one to talk too along the way....I once went to Nashville and back this way..Cost me lunch at a truckstop$10..Can't beat that.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 20, 2002
818 posts
One thing to consider, taking the roads (whether driving a car or greyhound) takes up great deal of time. It's about 8 hours for the roadtrip. So your arrival and departure days will have 8 hours taken out of it for travelling. So 2 days out of your week long stay will have time constraints.

Flying takes 1 hr and 20 minutes or so, and you can literally spend 7 days in NYC. There's lots to see in NYC. You fly, you don't feel all tired from being trapped in a car/bus for 8 hrs. Once you arrive, you still have the whole day to do sight seeing.

Of course, if money is the biggest concern, then nevermind what I just wrote. But it's just a thought. If you fly, it costs more, but you have more time to spend in NYC.

I flew there last month for a week long stay as well.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 31, 2001
7569 posts
298 upvotes
Toronto
8 hours for the roundtrip?

It's more like at least 8 hours one way from Toronto to NYC.

yiggy wrote:One thing to consider, taking the roads (whether driving a car or greyhound) takes up great deal of time. It's about 8 hours for the roadtrip. So your arrival and departure days will have 8 hours taken out of it for travelling. So 2 days out of your week long stay will have time constraints.

Flying takes 1 hr and 20 minutes or so, and you can literally spend 7 days in NYC. There's lots to see in NYC. You fly, you don't feel all tired from being trapped in a car/bus for 8 hrs. Once you arrive, you still have the whole day to do sight seeing.

Of course, if money is the biggest concern, then nevermind what I just wrote. But it's just a thought. If you fly, it costs more, but you have more time to spend in NYC.

I flew there last month for a week long stay as well.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 20, 2002
818 posts
I know that, that is what I meant. You misunderstood, or I didn't type clearly.

Either way, 8 hrs gone from arrival day, and another 8 hrs gone from the departure day.
consumerPI wrote:8 hours for the roundtrip?

It's more like at least 8 hours one way from Toronto to NYC.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2005
1641 posts
52 upvotes
Birchmount and finch
consumerPI wrote:8 hours for the roundtrip?

It's more like at least 8 hours one way from Toronto to NYC.
i believe you misread it says ROADtrip not round.
× < >

Top