Cheapest way of shipping from Canada to US

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2019 1:07 pm
[OP]
Jun 12, 2018
10 posts
1 upvote

Cheapest way of shipping from Canada to US

I started selling paper products (cards and paintings) and was able to get away with using the slot of doom however, I want to start expanding my products to include items that won't necessarily fit. What options are available that won't cost me an arm and leg? Canada Post charges a lot to include tracking and I'm hesitant to start shipping with no tracking. Suggestions?
28 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
2462 posts
280 upvotes
rnelson22 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 6:20 pm
I started selling paper products (cards and paintings) and was able to get away with using the slot of doom however, I want to start expanding my products to include items that won't necessarily fit. What options are available that won't cost me an arm and leg? Canada Post charges a lot to include tracking and I'm hesitant to start shipping with no tracking. Suggestions?
I don't know where you live, but there is probably a business like this in every city. Here in Calgary, DYK Post charges you a small fee, like a couple of bucks per package, to drive your package down to a US border city and ship it using USPS, which is way cheaper.

It may be worth looking into something like that where you are. I sent a 20 lb box of goods to Peru a couple of months ago; cost $170 CDN via USPS/DYK Post, tracked and insured, and would have cost me nearly $400 via Canada Post.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
6684 posts
1025 upvotes
Toronto
It is impossible to do business with Canada Posts poor service and horrible rates holding you down.

Use a service that brings packages over the border and ships via USPS as Larry suggests.

Off the top of my head, 1lb package should be about 4.25 USD via USPS. Flat rate small mailer is about $7 via USPS.

I use a service in toronto called chit chats express, I think they charge about $1 to bring a package over the border and to drop them off with USPS. As for how to print labels, chits chats will give you a US address and you sign up for stamps.com account using that address.

The caveat is that the package must be under $800 (I think USD) in value because US citizens can buy upto $800 worth of goods and not pay duties on it.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
[OP]
Jun 12, 2018
10 posts
1 upvote
Thanks guys! I’ve started using Chit Chats and their prices are super cheap, less than half of what I pay for shipping with CP, plus the service is just so much better. I’m glad I found this one!
Sep 28, 2018
1 posts
Hey guys. R nelson, I would seriuosly reconsider your planned product line for expansion and weigh it against increasing your current product line and finding more items which fit 'the slot' ,lol. I know right, a 2cm hole between you and your dreams. (well actually a 2cm hole has always been my dre...... ahem. I digress, pardon me.) No, my point is it is a loophole they have not closed, and exploiting that hole could be alot more reason for your success than you currently give it credit for. Speaking from experience It is a massive advantage, be careful before you expand too quickly without it.

The reason I posted was to ask all three of you if anyone knows if this service works in reverse??? Maybe that is what they call drop shipping, I'm not too sure but I am sure there are several products on my list that sellers will not ship to Canada. e.g. battery packs, butane, spot welders. I have often lamented not having a close friend there that I could use as a detour and redirect to me.

Anything?

Tx kindly in advance.
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
1 posts
@TimR64146 - There are US companies on the US side of the border that will receive and hold various items for you to pick up later. Google search for these at your closest border crossing
Apr 2, 2019
2 posts
Hey I was on eBay Canada Community website and found other sellers getting cheap shipping rates with ShipVista.com. Apparently, you can get a $20 value Canada Post expedited shipping label to Montreal for only $9. They have impressive reviews on Google search and seem to offer the best deals for eCommerce sellers in Canada. They also ship to the US and offer new customers a $200 shipping credit.
Nov 21, 2018
7 posts
Freightcom.ca gives you options for different couriers, big discounts. Shipping to USA, very cheap.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1881 posts
227 upvotes
Toronto
startupecom wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2019 11:42 am
Hey I was on eBay Canada Community website and found other sellers getting cheap shipping rates with ShipVista.com. Apparently, you can get a $20 value Canada Post expedited shipping label to Montreal for only $9. They have impressive reviews on Google search and seem to offer the best deals for eCommerce sellers in Canada. They also ship to the US and offer new customers a $200 shipping credit.
Thank you.
Oct 11, 2016
340 posts
67 upvotes
rnelson22 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 2:45 pm
Thanks guys! I’ve started using Chit Chats and their prices are super cheap, less than half of what I pay for shipping with CP, plus the service is just so much better. I’m glad I found this one!
+1 for chit chats. Cheapest around. Never had a problem using USPS through Chit Chats.
Mar 5, 2013
117 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
Not sure if you guys are still looking but I am in love with https://www.sparxlogistics.ca/ they gave me amazing service and beat UPS prices.
Life is the art of drawing without an eraser.
Mar 23, 2010
75 posts
15 upvotes
Markham
Depends on where you live, you have multiple choices.

If the items are small, USPS is the best:

1. Chitchats - very popular but prices are high
2. Stallion Express - only in Markham, price is cheaper than chitchats
3. CrossborderPicks - Markham and Mississauga, cheaper than the above two.

Larger items:
1. Canada Post small business discount (not too much of discount)
2. eShipper. discounted rate from Fedex/Ups/DHL etc. (cheaper than CP)

I am the founder of EMS (http://www.emarketplaceservices.com) to auto synchronize your orders from multiple channels, and connect your above carrier accounts (except crossborder pickup), and you can print the labels right from EMS. No manifest, no manual import/export CSV, everything is automated.

If you have any questions regarding shipping/e-commerce/EMS, shot me a PM I will try to help.
https://www.emarketplaceservices.com
Supports Amazon, eBay, Etsy, Shopify, BigCommerce, X-Cart, 3dcart, opencart, Magento, Prestashop, WooCommerce
Supports EShipper, CanadaPost, EasyPost, ChitChats, Stallion Express
Connect your channel and carrier, ship all your orders from one place!
Jun 3, 2019
2 posts
1 upvote
Yeap I can agree chitchats have a great prices cross border and that's the reason of why their business, basically they truck down all the goods between the nearest borders. But if you are shipping multi shipments, you will have to create a separate label for each. If it is just 1 item each, it should work fine. Also depends on your volume --- if you have a high volume UPS standards are probably most efficient setup considering you can save daily drop-offs to chit chat which will take at least 20-30 mins each day driving back and forth, costs fuel and your time as well -- while I'm sure your time is much valuable and few dollars savings. UPS has comparable rates to chit chat actually if you are able to obtain a negotiate rate account --- for me it's around 70% and you can do multi shipments ---- most importantly you really have a full control with the worldship software that ups provides. In any case you need to import, they can setup 70% import discount and flat brokerage fee as well.

To give you a perspective, the rates may be few dollars higher single shipment basis compared to chitchat however you have to realize how long it takes for chitchap shipments take 7-9 business days. where as takes 2-5 business days with ups standard which is the slowest shipping option. Expedited and 3 days are great value if you need to ship faster anywhere around the world as well.

In this day, paying CAD for freight is too beautiful as an encouragement - I wouldn't set it up in USA at this time :) Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2006
1041 posts
34 upvotes
diygadget wrote:
May 26th, 2019 9:15 am
Depends on where you live, you have multiple choices.

If the items are small, USPS is the best:

1. Chitchats - very popular but prices are high
2. Stallion Express - only in Markham, price is cheaper than chitchats
3. CrossborderPicks - Markham and Mississauga, cheaper than the above two.

Larger items:
1. Canada Post small business discount (not too much of discount)
2. eShipper. discounted rate from Fedex/Ups/DHL etc. (cheaper than CP)

I am the founder of EMS (http://www.emarketplaceservices.com) to auto synchronize your orders from multiple channels, and connect your above carrier accounts (except crossborder pickup), and you can print the labels right from EMS. No manifest, no manual import/export CSV, everything is automated.

If you have any questions regarding shipping/e-commerce/EMS, shot me a PM I will try to help.
What are the best shippers to use for shipping within Canada?
Mar 23, 2010
75 posts
15 upvotes
Markham
tripleflip wrote:
Jun 4th, 2019 2:27 pm
What are the best shippers to use for shipping within Canada?
There is no single one shipper has best rates for all Canada destinations. Carrier A could be the cheapest to ship to Toronto, but, it might be more expensive to ship to Montreal. Carrier B might be cheapest to Montreal but might be more expensive to Toronto.
In EMS you have four options to ship to Canada (if you have eshipper, Canadapost, stallion and chitchats accounts), then you can run query to find the cheapest one.
https://www.emarketplaceservices.com
Supports Amazon, eBay, Etsy, Shopify, BigCommerce, X-Cart, 3dcart, opencart, Magento, Prestashop, WooCommerce
Supports EShipper, CanadaPost, EasyPost, ChitChats, Stallion Express
Connect your channel and carrier, ship all your orders from one place!