Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Cheapest way of shipping from Canada to US

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2018 2:45 pm
[OP]
Jun 12, 2018
3 posts

Cheapest way of shipping from Canada to US

I started selling paper products (cards and paintings) and was able to get away with using the slot of doom however, I want to start expanding my products to include items that won't necessarily fit. What options are available that won't cost me an arm and leg? Canada Post charges a lot to include tracking and I'm hesitant to start shipping with no tracking. Suggestions?
3 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
1623 posts
220 upvotes
rnelson22 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 6:20 pm
I started selling paper products (cards and paintings) and was able to get away with using the slot of doom however, I want to start expanding my products to include items that won't necessarily fit. What options are available that won't cost me an arm and leg? Canada Post charges a lot to include tracking and I'm hesitant to start shipping with no tracking. Suggestions?
I don't know where you live, but there is probably a business like this in every city. Here in Calgary, DYK Post charges you a small fee, like a couple of bucks per package, to drive your package down to a US border city and ship it using USPS, which is way cheaper.

It may be worth looking into something like that where you are. I sent a 20 lb box of goods to Peru a couple of months ago; cost $170 CDN via USPS/DYK Post, tracked and insured, and would have cost me nearly $400 via Canada Post.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
5998 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto
It is impossible to do business with Canada Posts poor service and horrible rates holding you down.

Use a service that brings packages over the border and ships via USPS as Larry suggests.

Off the top of my head, 1lb package should be about 4.25 USD via USPS. Flat rate small mailer is about $7 via USPS.

I use a service in toronto called chit chats express, I think they charge about $1 to bring a package over the border and to drop them off with USPS. As for how to print labels, chits chats will give you a US address and you sign up for stamps.com account using that address.

The caveat is that the package must be under $800 (I think USD) in value because US citizens can buy upto $800 worth of goods and not pay duties on it.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
[OP]
Jun 12, 2018
3 posts
Thanks guys! I’ve started using Chit Chats and their prices are super cheap, less than half of what I pay for shipping with CP, plus the service is just so much better. I’m glad I found this one!