• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2017 6:05 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
4880 posts
2787 upvotes
Ontario

Cheapest way to unlock Samsung phone?

I'm new to the whole android world, coming from and iPhone... I have a galaxy s6 I want to get unlocked. I know the process is very different for non iPhones so what is the cheapest guaranteed unlock out there?
19 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22162 posts
10326 upvotes
Toronto
Buy an unlock code from a trusted eBay seller or contact RFD member mobifree.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Slawek wrote: Ah, thanks. Seems legit? Feedback looks really solid. How is this price?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172705337381
Never tried a remote unlock. Seems to be a new trend for Samsung phones. Which carrier is your S6 locked to?

I've bought many codes on eBay and it's been great. Also, I can vouch for @TwitchyPuppy here on RFD who can unlock your Samsung S6.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
4880 posts
2787 upvotes
Ontario
titaniumtux wrote: Never tried a remote unlock. Seems to be a new trend for Samsung phones. Which carrier is your S6 locked to?

I've bought many codes on eBay and it's been great. Also, I can vouch for @TwitchyPuppy here on RFD who can unlock your Samsung S6.
Koodo
Feb 27, 2014
339 posts
84 upvotes
Slawek wrote: Ah, thanks. Seems legit? Feedback looks really solid. How is this price?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172705337381
Not familiar with remote unlocking. Would not want to try it as it allows a stranger to "view your personal files" while "remote unlocking" the phone. Besides the privacy issue, he can also plant some spyware onto your phone while unlocking the phone, if he's the shady type. Not saying you should or should not take the remote unlocking route. It's your choice. Price wise seems good about USD5.91.

Other options for unlocking service is unlockbox.ca. Price is $15, this is what most other unlockers would charge. Unlockbox has a ebay account if you choose to go through ebay. Paypal accepted. Other unlockers would be canadaunlocking.com, mobifree.ca, etc.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
4880 posts
2787 upvotes
Ontario
kaliman wrote: Not familiar with remote unlocking. Would not want to try it as it allows a stranger to "view your personal files" while "remote unlocking" the phone. Besides the privacy issue, he can also plant some spyware onto your phone while unlocking the phone, if he's the shady type. Not saying you should or should not take the remote unlocking route. It's your choice. Price wise seems good about USD5.91.

Other options for unlocking service is unlockbox.ca. Price is $15, this is what most other unlockers would charge. Unlockbox has a ebay account if you choose to go through ebay. Paypal accepted. Other unlockers would be canadaunlocking.com, mobifree.ca, etc.
Thanks this explains a lot. I'd rather not do remote then. I'll try one of the sites you mentioned. I noticed unlockbox has a coupon section would love to find a discount code
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Slawek wrote: Koodo
Negotiate a free unlock with Koodo! Call customer service. just tell them that since December 1st is around the corner, and that Virgin is also giving their subscribers free unlocks, they should waive the unlock fee.

I got one free unlock for a Samsung from Koodo so far, worked like a charm!
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2003
2693 posts
677 upvotes
Toronto
Wait till Dec 1st...
or go to mobifree.ca, used them many times great service as always!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2013
6084 posts
1868 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
Slawek wrote: I'm new to the whole android world, coming from and iPhone... I have a galaxy s6 I want to get unlocked. I know the process is very different for non iPhones so what is the cheapest guaranteed unlock out there?
wait for December 1, 2017 that will be the cheapest of them all.
FreedomMobile 35% Friends & Family
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
4880 posts
2787 upvotes
Ontario
d1ulove3 wrote: wait for December 1, 2017 that will be the cheapest of them all.
I hear you with the waiting, that was my plan originally but I have a feeling pretty soon these cell companies are going to offer a $45 4gb plan in Ontario and I don't want to miss out
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22162 posts
10326 upvotes
Toronto
Search ebay for an unlock code rather than a remote unlock. Who is the carrier and which phone? Didn't Public Mobile just finish a promo for $45?

Unlock codes for Rogers-locked phones have gone up quite a bit.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
4880 posts
2787 upvotes
Ontario
audit13 wrote: Search ebay for an unlock code rather than a remote unlock. Who is the carrier and which phone? Didn't Public Mobile just finish a promo for $45?

Unlock codes for Rogers-locked phones have gone up quite a bit.
Galaxy S6 and Koodo. I know that public mobile has a promo but is province-wide and we need canada-wide because we call all over the place
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Slawek wrote: I hear you with the waiting, that was my plan originally but I have a feeling pretty soon these cell companies are going to offer a $45 4gb plan in Ontario and I don't want to miss out
Pray tell, what gives you this impression?
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
4880 posts
2787 upvotes
Ontario
titaniumtux wrote: Pray tell, what gives you this impression?
Well, PM comes out with 4gb $45 province wide, Virgin matches, Fido comes back and matches but with Canada wide calling, my gut tells me next will be an Ontario plan with the same pricing. I just want to be prepared to switch to whatever carrier offers it.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Slawek wrote: Well, PM comes out with 4gb $45 province wide, Virgin matches, Fido comes back and matches but with Canada wide calling, my gut tells me next will be an Ontario plan with the same pricing. I just want to be prepared to switch to whatever carrier offers it.
Has Public Mobile launched this deal yet? I don't know if we'll see those PM deals again, as Telus rather see PM subscribers flock to Koodo.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
4880 posts
2787 upvotes
Ontario
titaniumtux wrote: Has Public Mobile launched this deal yet? I don't know if we'll see those PM deals again, as Telus rather see PM subscribers flock to Koodo.
It's an ongoing deal in Alberta. Take it for what it's worth, I'm just saying this is what my gut feeling tells me is happening next and recently it seems to be the battle of the 4 gigabyte plans
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Slawek wrote: Thank you, you've been very helpful
Cat's out of the bag. Public Mobile deal is rivaled by same plan with Fido and Virgin in AB only. Really doubt this will come to Ontario.