Automotive

check engine light codes read for free, where?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 28th, 2010 1:08 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 21, 2009
7 posts

check engine light codes read for free, where?

The check engine light on my Honda CRV has turned on and I am wondering where I can get the codes read for free? I am in Vancouver.
21 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2004
2225 posts
73 upvotes
Paris, France
librakhan wrote: if you dont want to know the code that came up then just unplug the neg on the battery for 5 min and it should reset but it will also reset the car computer.
and the problem will magically go away :rolleyes:
Aug 10, 2008
977 posts
88 upvotes
you might reset the light or disconnect the battery but if the actual problem that triggered the code is not fixed, the light will eventually come back

did you tighten the gas cap properly last time you fill up? you can do a visual check also to see if any evap lines are leaking. You can also check the connection to oxygen sensors etc. is the engine knocking or pinging or misfiring? these are the most common causes of the Check engine light

you should invest in a ODB2 scanner or that USB adapter version so you can connect to your laptop. The USB version can also do more elaborate check on the car such as fuel pressure, 0xygenn ratio, RPM, coolant temperature, etc. The cost of the stand alone scanner or the USB is about $50-70
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2005
1793 posts
41 upvotes
thephenom wrote: Part Source.
Yes and No..
It's a YMMV, some locations will, but many won't. (example, the Markham location won't check for you)
Oct 21, 2009
7 posts
Part Source.
I don't think there is a Part Source in BC?
manteiv wrote: you might reset the light or disconnect the battery but if the actual problem that triggered the code is not fixed, the light will eventually come back

did you tighten the gas cap properly last time you fill up? you can do a visual check also to see if any evap lines are leaking. You can also check the connection to oxygen sensors etc. is the engine knocking or pinging or misfiring? these are the most common causes of the Check engine light

you should invest in a ODB2 scanner or that USB adapter version so you can connect to your laptop. The USB version can also do more elaborate check on the car such as fuel pressure, 0xygenn ratio, RPM, coolant temperature, etc. The cost of the stand alone scanner or the USB is about $50-70
I re-tightened that cap when the light first came on and it has not turned off in the last two days. There is nothing noticeable that I can feel about the performance. I suspect it's the O2 sensor, but would like to confirm the exact problem by reading the codes. Where can I buy a ODB2 scanner with USB interface?
mr lube usually checks them part of the service, if you have one close by just go by and tell them that you went to a differnt location and the light came on and they will reset it for you.
I might try Mr Lube, since I need to get a oil change anyway.

How about Napa?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
xstatik wrote: Yes and No..
It's a YMMV, some locations will, but many won't. (example, the Markham location won't check for you)
Yeah I previously asked this at several locations (about 5 in total) and all of them looked at me like I was crazed or something. "No, we don't do that, we never have!" I'm not sure what PartSource people are getting that done at but none of the ones I've been to have the slightest idea of what I'm talking about. I've always thought it's some weird "transferrance" of people seeing US AutoZone commericals and dreaming up the fact that you can do that at PartSource. However if there are PartSource stores that do this, I'd love to see a list posted. While I don't need this service myself anymore, would be nice to have up on the forum everytime someone asks the same.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2004
3171 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
If you plan to drive to the States I think Autozone or Pepboys would do this for you for free. Check with them.

You can get this scanner for $30 and hook it up to your laptop to display/reset the code.

If you are in Toronto I prob can do this for you free.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2005
1793 posts
41 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Yeah I previously asked this at several locations (about 5 in total) and all of them looked at me like I was crazed or something. "No, we don't do that, we never have!" I'm not sure what PartSource people are getting that done at but none of the ones I've been to have the slightest idea of what I'm talking about. I've always thought it's some weird "transferrance" of people seeing US AutoZone commericals and dreaming up the fact that you can do that at PartSource. However if there are PartSource stores that do this, I'd love to see a list posted. While I don't need this service myself anymore, would be nice to have up on the forum everytime someone asks the same.
I sent you a PM.
Oct 21, 2009
7 posts
DragonZealot wrote: If you plan to drive to the States I think Autozone or Pepboys would do this for you for free. Check with them.

You can get this scanner for $30 and hook it up to your laptop to display/reset the code.

I was thinking about DX and thought they probably won't carry something like that. I might pick one up at that price. Thanks for the offer, but I would have to drive 3500km to get there :cheesygri . In the meantime, I think Mr Lube would be my best option.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3678 posts
820 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Yeah I previously asked this at several locations (about 5 in total) and all of them looked at me like I was crazed or something. "No, we don't do that, we never have!" I'm not sure what PartSource people are getting that done at but none of the ones I've been to have the slightest idea of what I'm talking about. I've always thought it's some weird "transferrance" of people seeing US AutoZone commericals and dreaming up the fact that you can do that at PartSource. However if there are PartSource stores that do this, I'd love to see a list posted. While I don't need this service myself anymore, would be nice to have up on the forum everytime someone asks the same.
Part Source at Dufferin/steeles will do it free, also test battery/alternator
(but the guys at this location, are very friendly, and helpful!!!)..

Part source at Midland/Lawrence -will do it but depending HOW LAZY the person feels.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
2898 posts
5 upvotes
xstatik wrote: Yes and No..
the markham location that i went to did it for free, twice.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2009
2792 posts
419 upvotes
Mississauga
librakhan wrote: if you dont want to know the code that came up then just unplug the neg on the battery for 5 min and it should reset but it will also reset the car computer.
Sometime later on it'll appear again .... this system reset is just a temporary thing.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2005
3917 posts
213 upvotes
Toronto
DragonZealot wrote: If you plan to drive to the States I think Autozone or Pepboys would do this for you for free. Check with them.

Have you used this scanner?
You say get high, I say hello!
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2005
2107 posts
411 upvotes
gamer123 wrote: the markham location that i went to did it for free, twice.
same with me.
mccowan and 7 location does it for free if anyone is looking
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
1261 posts
5 upvotes
manteiv wrote: try http://www.obd2tech.com/

make sure you buy the tool that support the CAM protocol (all cars after 2004 use this protocol)
It's the CAN protocol.

You can get a scanner from Princess auto when it goes on sale. That maxitrip computer could probably do it as well.

If it was just the gas cap, the CEL might not disappear until after you take a few trips with the car.

Always take note of the code though, because it is a piece of information that will help you or your mechanic in diagnosing the problem.

There is nothing wrong with just getting the code cleared to see if it as random one off. But if it does reappear then you should get it addressed.
FS Items:
Jul 13, 2006
887 posts
22 upvotes
Do NOT just clear the code without finding out what it is. My example from this weekend:

- Wife's car threw a CEL while on the way to a kids' concert, in traffic, rain, and dark.
- Wife called, I said "I'll check it tomorrow -- go enjoy the concert and don't worry about it if its not a flashing CEL (misfire)"
- Check the code the next day -- P0703. WTF -- unusual code. Check the service manual and find out it's a BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH MALFUNCTION!!
- I verify that the brake lights were 100% NOT WORKING. So my wife drove over 60km in heavy traffic, rain, and at night... without working brake lights. :eek:

(I fixed the problem -- blown fuse under the hood, hopefully it doesn't come back again. I left her a spare set of mini-agu fuses and showed her the location of that one, so if a CEL is thrown and I'm not around, she can check that fuse first-thing and make sure she's at least driving safe).
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2008
4669 posts
752 upvotes
Scarborough
Don't forget to write down your radio code as well then :P
Find some one local that has a ScanGaugeII
http://www.scangauge.com/features/scantool.shtml
Help Contribute to our Wedding Fund :) A wise fortune cookie once told me this:
"A bargain is something you don't need at a price you can't resist"
FS: Christmas Window Decor :lol:
FS: 10mm H&R Trak+ wheel spacers, 5x100/112, 57.1c/b