Automotive

check engine light codes read for free, where?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 28th, 2010 1:08 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2005
3827 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto
DragonZealot wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2009 1:26 pm
If you plan to drive to the States I think Autozone or Pepboys would do this for you for free. Check with them.

You can get this scanner for $30 and hook it up to your laptop to display/reset the code.

If you are in Toronto I prob can do this for you free.
Have you used this scanner?
I got.....nothing to say.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2005
1656 posts
46 upvotes
gamer123 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2009 6:23 pm
the markham location that i went to did it for free, twice.
same with me.
mccowan and 7 location does it for free if anyone is looking
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
1254 posts
manteiv wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2009 3:45 pm
try http://www.obd2tech.com/

make sure you buy the tool that support the CAM protocol (all cars after 2004 use this protocol)
It's the CAN protocol.

You can get a scanner from Princess auto when it goes on sale. That maxitrip computer could probably do it as well.

If it was just the gas cap, the CEL might not disappear until after you take a few trips with the car.

Always take note of the code though, because it is a piece of information that will help you or your mechanic in diagnosing the problem.

There is nothing wrong with just getting the code cleared to see if it as random one off. But if it does reappear then you should get it addressed.
FS Items:
Jul 13, 2006
887 posts
20 upvotes
Do NOT just clear the code without finding out what it is. My example from this weekend:

- Wife's car threw a CEL while on the way to a kids' concert, in traffic, rain, and dark.
- Wife called, I said "I'll check it tomorrow -- go enjoy the concert and don't worry about it if its not a flashing CEL (misfire)"
- Check the code the next day -- P0703. WTF -- unusual code. Check the service manual and find out it's a BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH MALFUNCTION!!
- I verify that the brake lights were 100% NOT WORKING. So my wife drove over 60km in heavy traffic, rain, and at night... without working brake lights. :eek:

(I fixed the problem -- blown fuse under the hood, hopefully it doesn't come back again. I left her a spare set of mini-agu fuses and showed her the location of that one, so if a CEL is thrown and I'm not around, she can check that fuse first-thing and make sure she's at least driving safe).
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2008
3652 posts
217 upvotes
Scarborough
librakhan wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2009 11:52 pm
if you dont want to know the code that came up then just unplug the neg on the battery for 5 min and it should reset but it will also reset the car computer.
Don't forget to write down your radio code as well then :P
Find some one local that has a ScanGaugeII
http://www.scangauge.com/features/scantool.shtml
Help Contribute to our Wedding Fund :) A wise fortune cookie once told me this:
"A bargain is something you don't need at a price you can't resist"
FS: Christmas Window Decor :lol:
FS: 10mm H&R Trak+ wheel spacers, 5x100/112, 57.1c/b
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1656 posts
158 upvotes
Edmonton
sounds like backfiring/misfire

if you come to my garage i can help you out :)
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
25442 posts
2675 upvotes
Ottawa
devilmaycry wrote:
Aug 27th, 2010 10:46 pm
I need help on how to troubleshoot a check engine light. My check engine light comes off and it's hard to start, slow to accelerate and there's a black smoke. Can someone help me on this? thanks
The light is on? Or "comes off", whatever that means?
If the light is on and you have drive-ability problems, the ECU may have gone into "limp" mode. It is protecting the engine from something that has gone wrong.
Take it either to the dealer or someone that specializes in your car (or to a shop that has access to the electronic diagnostics for your car).
× < >