• Feb 5th, 2019 1:34 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 5, 2018
56 posts
19 upvotes

Check with and without inc. ?

Hi all,

My company name is ABC inc. , if someone makes a check without the inc. (eg: ABC), can I still deposit it in my company account?
I see usually people don't write a check to ABC inc, they just write paid to ABC , like Bell Canada, Rogers and not Bell Canada Corp. or Rogers Corp. etc

I chat with TD but they don't have any clue, just saying it must be matched the account name. I'm afraid that our clients will make mistake and I cannot deposit the check and it will take time to fix that.
Any advice, please

Thanks
Last edited by TomShopper on Feb 1st, 2019 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4000 posts
3075 upvotes
TomShopper wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 12:13 pm
Hi all,

My company name is ABC inc. , if someone makes a check without the inc. (eg: ABC), can I still deposit it in my company account?
I see usually people don't write a check to ABC inc, they just write paied to ABC , like Bell Canada, Rogers and not Bell Canada Corp. or Rogers Corp. etc

I chat with TD but they don't have any clue, just saying it must be matched the account name. I'm afraid that our clients will make mistake and I cannot deposit the check and it will take time to fix that.
Any advice, please

Thanks
Technically, the name should be a 100% match. In practice, most tellers will accept a cheque deposit even if it's missing the business type, as long as the rest of the name matches. I doubt that the automated cheque clearing systems are sophisticated enough to automatically reject cheques that are missing a part of the name.

You should be fine... just tell your clients to make cheques out to ABC INC., and give them a friendly reminder if they forget.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1328 posts
169 upvotes
Markham, ON
Doesn't invoices to customers usually have a line that reads something like, please make all cheques, money orders payable to insert name here Inc.

You can always show to the bank your invoices to customers and match up each cheque you received from each customer.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3570 posts
2431 upvotes
Poppwl wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 12:23 am
Doesn't invoices to customers usually have a line that reads something like, please make all cheques, money orders payable to insert name here Inc.
Yes, customers always follow our clearly stated guidelines... not!

We've cashed cheques made out to every possible variation of our business name, with and without Inc., misspelled, using short abbreviation instead of full name, etc..

Just this week we used mobile deposit to cash a cheque that has stamped on the front "WARNING Do not cash this check unless you can see verify first "True" watermark. Hold up to light to see safe and verify first." (doesn't seem grammatical, but the watermark actually contains the words "SAFE", "VERIFY" and "FIRST"). Now clearly the bank can see that stamped on the cheque image for mobile deposit, and just as clearly they can't follow the instructions and verify the watermark. Doesn't stop them from depositing it in our account.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1328 posts
169 upvotes
Markham, ON
Well keep reminding your customer of the true name of your company. Or maybe you can think about changing your name to the name that a group of them keep calling your company. Maybe they are trying to establish a new name for your company. Just make sure nobody is using that name.