Cheesecake Factory opening @ Yorkdale Mall this fall

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2017 12:09 am
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
1982 posts
280 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
Hopefully it does not suffer the same fate as PF Chang's attempt to come here. At Cheesecake Factory picked a better location.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2003
4230 posts
437 upvotes
Mississauga
JACKIE26 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 3:14 pm
Hopefully it does not suffer the same fate as PF Chang's attempt to come here. At Cheesecake Factory picked a better location.
what happened to pf changs?? failed?
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2003
4230 posts
437 upvotes
Mississauga
nestleman wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 2:54 pm
Been a long time coming. This place will be ram packed once it opens until the hype dies down. There are people that haven't ever been to TCF and they don't travel out of town. So there will be lots of "first timers" waiting in the lines. If the prices and portion sizes are in line with the US locations then I'll visit. Chicken Bellagio, Steak Diane, Kobe Beef Burger, Vanilla Bean Cheesecake, Fresh Banana Cream Cheesecake are the best items.
i ain't sure about the hype dying down... they have been in the states forever and it is still packed house....2hr wait at 3pm on a weekday...sigh...
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
1982 posts
280 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
Ducky wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 3:18 pm
i ain't sure about the hype dying down... they have been in the states forever and it is still packed house....2hr wait at 3pm on a weekday...sigh...
I find Canadians want all the US restaurants and US retailers, and when they finally show up people just complain and complain to no end, and eventually they fold. Hopefully this does not happen, but just wait, I can already see the threads complaining about portion size, cost, menu being different etc.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23408 posts
1105 upvotes
Markham, ON
let's just say...if you think waiting 2 hrs at buffalo was bad...the one location in Toronto will be much much worst.

portions won't be as large in Toronto...food prices in Canada are much higher.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10728 posts
1739 upvotes
Ottawa
the portion sizes and cheesecake are what stand out for me when going there (personally the food is only average). It's useful to actually share plates and get desert after. Can't ever finish a plate AND eat a piece of cake, it's just too much.

If they skimp on the portion sizes, that would take away one of the trademark advantages of eating there
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10728 posts
1739 upvotes
Ottawa
US chains are always facing a uphill battle in the Canadian market. There are a lot of chains that are rather meh IMO but seem to thrive in the US. I've been to many CF and they are all usually packed on weekends

I think it will succeed but not if they make skimp on the two signature features: big portions and good cheesecake. I usually just share an entrée and order dessert after. I can't imagine somebody actually eating an entire entrée AND finishing off a piece of cheesecake.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Apr 11, 2017
2 posts
Love the Cheesecake Factory. Always visit when in the USA. Likely wait till they open one in Sherway as I am in west GTA.
They usually locate inside large expensive malls. Sherway would be a no brainer.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1242 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 2:42 pm
Great food, and the World's biggest menu when it comes to choices... Truly something for everyone's tastes / cravings

Will be interesting to see what a Cdn version looks like in terms of:

(a) Portion size. US Stores have GIGANTIC portions... Never can eat it all. Really really excessive. And if one is travelling and does not have the option of taking home the rest to reheat / eat the next day. Overall Cdns tend to want smaller portions, sometimes we see these American supersizes as unnecessary / wasteful, wondering if the brand will make adjustments here for that.

(b) Costing. Wonder what they will charge here per plate vs in the US ... Whether they keep portion sizes the same or not.
My thoughts are that they will most likely keep portion sizes the same. They probably have a standard that they use across all their restaurants to keep consistency. I wouldn't expect to see them downsize the portion just for one country.

With regards to costing, I would expect that they would have prices similar to the local competition, probably Pickle Barrel pricing. At the end of the day even though they may have high demand at first, they still need to remain competitive with the market based on the product they offer. I enjoy visiting the cheesecake factory in the States and I'd often choose to eat there over perhaps some better restaurants for the novelty but because they are opening up shop in Canada now it becomes very accessible and they have to compete with other similarly priced restaurants that offer similar foods.

My 2 cents.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4311 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
There goes everyone's fitness goals. Good thing there arrival is after summer when the "beach bod" no longer matters :lol:

Chicken bellagio and Godiva cheesecake here I come :)
Oct 26, 2016
379 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 3:11 pm

I feel like the prices will be 50%-100% higher... they have to be at least 30% higher, given our crappy dollar. Then add the fact they are in Yorkdale with an insane demand.

Assuming quantity and quality stay exactly the same as in the US, I don't think this place will die down for a long while. At least not until they expand to other areas.
Joey's, Moxies, and Jamie Olivers restaurant at Yorkdale won't like this lol.
Ducky wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 3:16 pm

what happened to pf changs?? failed?
Used to be a location at Shops at Don Mills but no longer there.
warpdrive wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 4:50 pm
I can't imagine somebody actually eating an entire entrée AND finishing off a piece of cheesecake.
I have done it several times, dirty bulking hahahaha.
glover78 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 9:20 pm
There goes everyone's fitness goals. Good thing there arrival is after summer when the "beach bod" no longer matters :lol:

Chicken bellagio and Godiva cheesecake here I come :)
Ducky wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 3:15 pm
chicken bellagio... here i come!!!
Chicken Bellagio is awesome as I mentioned earlier. :) I used to like the Godiva cheesecake, it is really smooth and you don't get grits of coco. Try the vanilla bean, it is not overly sweet and there is a strong vanilla flavour in the topping and the cake. You see the vanilla speckles.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2003
4230 posts
437 upvotes
Mississauga
nestleman wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 10:15 pm
Joey's, Moxies, and Jamie Olivers restaurant at Yorkdale won't like this lol.

Used to be a location at Shops at Don Mills but no longer there.

I have done it several times, dirty bulking hahahaha.

Chicken Bellagio is awesome as I mentioned earlier. :) I used to like the Godiva cheesecake, it is really smooth and you don't get grits of coco. Try the vanilla bean, it is not overly sweet and there is a strong vanilla flavour in the topping and the cake. You see the vanilla speckles.
I'm also a big fan of the ahi tuna carpaccio...
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11302 posts
1573 upvotes
Toronto
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 4:19 pm
let's just say...if you think waiting 2 hrs at buffalo was bad...the one location in Toronto will be much much worst.

portions won't be as large in Toronto...food prices in Canada are much higher.
I honestly don't know if they'll shrink portions or simply charge more, but there is some good news for those who hate to wait for a table:

"One appealing factor for malls is the company’s unique pager system that lets customers know when their table is ready. The Cheesecake Factory is known to add repeaters in larger malls to allow the signal to reach customers so they can shop as they wait for their table."

Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e34688715/