• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2017 11:35 am
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7492 posts
539 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 7:55 pm
You should have stayed in line and then just wave people forward one by one.
Dont think I could for 30min. The line u were in was short and security controlled a separate line.

It all worked out. Great place. Will be back again but not soon. Too full. Not cheap.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7492 posts
539 upvotes
BigJonsson wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 7:37 pm
Was at the Bay this afternoon and decided to go see what the line was like around 2:30. No wait for a pager and about 40 minutes for a table. Took a while for the food and they advised us to order cheesecake early as there was a 35-45 minute wait at the bakery, cakes didn't get to our table until 45 minute after we finished our food or over an hour after we ordered it.

When we left there was a rapidly growing line in the mall
They are not good with timing for the cakes. I too heard it was long but one server said 15-20min, another said 45min. When we ordered it came out in 5min. We didnt even finish the meal yet.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4940 posts
774 upvotes
BigJonsson wrote:
Was at the Bay this afternoon and decided to go see what the line was like around 2:30. No wait for a pager and about 40 minutes for a table. Took a while for the food and they advised us to order cheesecake early as there was a 35-45 minute wait at the bakery, cakes didn't get to our table until 45 minute after we finished our food or over an hour after we ordered it.

My friend and I went at 1:30pm and similar experience. Except our cheesecakes came first, about 20min after ordering and then our mains like 10 minutes after.
speedyforme wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 10:10 pm
They are not good with timing for the cakes. I too heard it was long but one server said 15-20min, another said 45min. When we ordered it came out in 5min. We didnt even finish the meal yet.
I think that's their subtle way of encouraging people to hurry up...lol...

I don't think I'll return. Nothing was bad, so-so, but the experience/rush/crowd thing is a turnoff and can get better food for the pricing.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7492 posts
539 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 10:12 pm

I don't think I'll return. Nothing was bad, so-so, but the experience/rush/crowd thing is a turnoff and can get better food for the pricing.
I think this was doable. Granted there was some mix up with servers and we ended having like 3 servers. But the one girl JOEL was from Buffalo overseeing the training and she was AMAZING in customer service. Oddly enough we were there seated for about 2 hrs total for the two of us.

The cake thing seemed messy though because there were people who did wait long. That communication is still messy. But the pager thing was doable, even the wait - probably cause I haven't been to Yorkdale in a while, it was xmas so there was some window shopping etc. Certainly better than Buffalo ONLY because by the time you get there, it's late and you are hungry and don't want to wait.

But yes this is not a cheap place, basically Pickle Barrel on crack. It's certainly a once a year thing.
Oct 26, 2016
381 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
peanutz wrote:
My friend and I went at 1:30pm and similar experience. Except our cheesecakes came first, about 20min after ordering and then our mains like 10 minutes after.

What items did you order?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1932 posts
159 upvotes
peanutz wrote:

I tried to eat quickly in case the cakes came out quicker than expected but we ended up waiting over 30 minutes after finishing our food, we even told the server we felt bad we were taking up a table and not ordering anything else

Maybe it depended on which cake you ordered
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4940 posts
774 upvotes
nestleman wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 10:57 pm
What items did you order?
I got the Chicken Bellagio, and my friend got some spicy cajun thing. She also ordered some crisped crabcake balls for appetizer. The Bellagio was tasty, but it's something I could make at home (I'm no fancy schmancy home cook!)--pesto spaghettini with a fried breaded chicken breast and a cream pasta sauce on the outside I've tasted before...

She got the fresh strawberry cheesecake, and I got the lemon meringue. Both cheesecakes were "in stock" in the glass display so there was no shortage of the ones we wanted.

It was the experience that kind of meh'd it for me. I am not picky on service, I am happy to go with abrupt/no frills Asian restaurants. However, I didn't like being given the cheesecake before my main, yet since they were talking about wait times we both started eating the cheesecake first (we weren't sure when our mains would come). Then after the main was served, I wasn't finished eating, and my server asked if we wanted it packed. We both said yes...I didn't think she'd start taking my plate right then while I'm still forking the food into my mouth...LOL but she took it. Like, I get it, you want us to stuff our faces fast and open up the table...but we were being rushed when most of the delay was on their end and our total bill including tip was over $100 for two.
Oct 26, 2016
381 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
peanutz wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 11:46 pm
I got the Chicken Bellagio, and my friend got some spicy cajun thing. She also ordered some crisped crabcake balls for appetizer. The Bellagio was tasty, but it's something I could make at home (I'm no fancy schmancy home cook!)--pesto spaghettini with a fried breaded chicken breast and a cream pasta sauce on the outside I've tasted before...

She got the fresh strawberry cheesecake, and I got the lemon meringue. Both cheesecakes were "in stock" in the glass display so there was no shortage of the ones we wanted.
The fresh strawberry cheesecake is just dipped strawberries with the regular cheesecake. There is nothing special about that one other than the dipped berries, which are delicious btw. Wish they gave more than 3 berries. Go for the fresh banana creampie, vanilla bean, white chocolate raspberry, nutella, pumpkin cheesecake options.

For appetizer, go for avocado eggrolls or the eggroll sampler. Buffalo wings are ginormous and another good option. So are the fried mac and cheese and burger sliders.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16386 posts
1096 upvotes
Woodbridge
I tried it while in Buffalo, I wasn't pleased I can't remember my order but I had to return it. Bland and salty.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7565 posts
1016 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks to everyone for the feedback.
Man, i'm so tempted to try it out.
A CF virgin here lol.
BigJonsson wrote:

That's what I was hoping, go at a really low-peak time, so that seems doable/not such a crazy wait.

Btw, what's the deal w/ the cakes...they are already prepared, right, pre-sliced, so how come so much confusion/delay?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7492 posts
539 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 11:46 pm

It was the experience that kind of meh'd it for me. I am not picky on service, I am happy to go with abrupt/no frills Asian restaurants. However, I didn't like being given the cheesecake before my main, yet since they were talking about wait times we both started eating the cheesecake first (we weren't sure when our mains would come). Then after the main was served, I wasn't finished eating, and my server asked if we wanted it packed. We both said yes...I didn't think she'd start taking my plate right then while I'm still forking the food into my mouth...LOL but she took it. Like, I get it, you want us to stuff our faces fast and open up the table...but we were being rushed when most of the delay was on their end and our total bill including tip was over $100 for two.
Yeah sounds like you didn't have a good service experience. Our was much better even though it felt weird having 3 different people serve us. They were all nice except one who was clearly a bit new in terms of how to interact. Never felt rushed.

Although when they found out it was my birthday, the most experienced on JOEL grabbed my plate and went back to get it set up for a bday song (which I didn't want) but appreciated it and she managed to get like 5 servers to sing to me lol.
Last edited by speedyforme on Nov 29th, 2017 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7492 posts
539 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 12:28 am
A CF virgin here lol.

That's what I was hoping, go at a really low-peak time, so that seems doable/not such a crazy wait.

Btw, what's the deal w/ the cakes...they are already prepared, right, pre-sliced, so how come so much confusion/delay?
They are pre-sliced. I have no idea why the wait times are long. Perhaps they need to deal with priorities, dine-in gets it first or take out. There is a lot of take out in addition to dine-in as well.

I don't see how it takes so long either, they are pre-sliced and their take out containers fit their slices and all they usually do is add some whipped cream unless there is fresh fruit to be added.

We ate the:
1) Chicken Bellagio - first time ti try, it was good but not mind-blowing as others seem to rave
2) Chicken Madeira - way better than the Bellagio, I can tell which it's their #1 chicken best seller

Cheesecake:
- Coffee/Cream - very yummy
- Chris' Outrageous - damn heavy, but damn good. Like a nanaimo bar on crack

I have also enjoyed their key lime cheesecake before. You can't really go wrong with their cheesecakes but I would certainly only get specialty ones you can rarely find here. If I just wanted a strawberry one, I'd get it somewhere else.
Oct 26, 2016
381 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
tranquility922 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 12:28 am
A CF virgin here lol.

There really is no slow or non peak time. Be in the first seating or be prepared to wait. Or just get take out.

They have to serve dine in and take out customers. The sign at the door says max capacity of 300 people or so, combine that with the take out customers line and you have more people. The cake slices need to be plated and some have designs on them as well. There isn't a lot of people working the bakery section when I went, so they get overwhelmed.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7565 posts
1016 upvotes
Toronto
nestleman wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 9:36 pm
There really is no slow or non peak time. Be in the first seating or be prepared to wait. Or just get take out.

They have to serve dine in and take out customers. The sign at the door says max capacity of 300 people or so, combine that with the take out customers line and you have more people. The cake slices need to be plated and some have designs on them as well. There isn't a lot of people working the bakery section when I went, so they get overwhelmed.
Ofc there is, as evidenced by that poster I quoted, i.e. ~45mins, it's not all 3 hour waits. Cmon.
Mar 27, 2015
781 posts
190 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Did anyone else notice so many empty tables inside like I did earlier this week. All the while so many wait outside to be seated and served?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)