Cheesecake Factory opening @ Yorkdale Mall this fall

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2017 11:35 am
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
14175 posts
2533 upvotes
Toronto
$10+ for a slice of Cheesecake is expensive. It shouldn't cost more than $6.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
5433 posts
289 upvotes
TO
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 2:36 pm
$80? That's really pricey.

Joey's is the modern day Hooters... food isn't what drives people in.
LMAO, i loled so hard after I read this and saw your username :)
Achieva Financial / Tangerine / EQ Bank member

RIP Marriott Visa card :(

You need someone with an umbrella not a fork
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11319 posts
1577 upvotes
Toronto
carmaster wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 4:37 pm
$10+ for a slice of Cheesecake is expensive. It shouldn't cost more than $6.
Is it a thin or thick slice?
I'd pay $9.99 if I can slice it into two and somehow get two slices the same size as two normal (thin) $6 slices.
(maybe with a friend, sliced into two is worth splitting the $10 price?)
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
14175 posts
2533 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 8:02 pm
Is it a thin or thick slice?
I'd pay $9.99 if I can slice it into two and somehow get two slices the same size as two normal (thin) $6 slices.
(maybe with a friend, sliced into two is worth splitting the $10 price?)
From the pictures it doesn't look too big.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11319 posts
1577 upvotes
Toronto
carmaster wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 8:08 pm
From the pictures it doesn't look too big.
Then yeah, round up some friends, have them blindfold you, taste some random cheesecakes (from other restaurants or stores, same flavour) and see if you pick Cheesecake factory for best tasting...for that price it ought to be! Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11319 posts
1577 upvotes
Toronto
h2o- wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 2:13 pm
Let's guess which existing restaurant in Yorkdale will close down first
MadMonday wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 3:11 pm
You mean Pickle Barrel? I was thinking about that too. They are literally on top of each other. Who knows, they may get the ancillary benefits when people get tired of waiting in line.
Cara food restaurants seem to be steering clear of Yorkdale. (Cassy's, when it was with Cara foods, and Milestones, to name the two I'm aware of)
Therefore, Pickle Barrel might be a good guess for first to close.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7565 posts
1016 upvotes
Toronto
I never got Pickle Barrel. Yes, only went there once, but really nothing special, just like Boston Pizza.

Anyway, is it really $80 for the whole cheesecake? How many slices is that? Still not desirable to me since I'd rather have assorted flavors.

Finally went for first time this afternoon and waited for 1h15m, not too bad I guess. The food took 45 mins to come, I guess alright since the place was packed. What I didn't get was the cheesecake, probably took 10 mins but all they did was put 2 whipped cream puffs in the takeout container...how can it take so long? That's one area they really should be picking up the slack.

Overall, pretty good, nice taste, good portions, will go again hopefully when it dies down a bit.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26938 posts
6405 upvotes
GTHA
tranquility922 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 11:03 pm
Anyway, is it really $80 for the whole cheesecake? How many slices is that? Still not desirable to me since I'd rather have assorted flavors.
All cheesecakes and specialty cakes come in 10-inch sizes, serving 12 – 15 people, and most are sold pre-sliced into 12 slices. Our most popular cheesecakes are also available in 7-inch sizes, serving 6 – 8 people. Select cheesecakes come in our 6-inch size, serving 4 – 6 people.

For those who cannot decide on just one cheesecake flavor, we have the perfect solution: Order two different half 10" cakes!

from https://www.thecheesecakefactory.com/co ... questions/
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11319 posts
1577 upvotes
Toronto
tranquility922 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 11:03 pm
I never got Pickle Barrel. Yes, only went there once, but really nothing special, just like Boston Pizza.
Depends on your food interests. At the very least, I like the Pickle Barrel Fajitas. (they were not doing AYCE, but they also did not charge for an extra 2 shells for the portion they brought me.)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7492 posts
539 upvotes
If it really is $80 for an entire cake, that is a deal for 12 slices. Comes to less than $7 compared to $10 pre-tax. 30% off.

As for the cheesecake, only the specialty ones that you cannot find are worth eating. My in-laws ordered fresh strawberry; like really? What a waste. Anyways...

The slices are generous but not insanely large, standard good size. Their cheesecakes are generally heftier/fuller.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7565 posts
1016 upvotes
Toronto
speedyforme wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 7:47 am
If it really is $80 for an entire cake, that is a deal for 12 slices. Comes to less than $7 compared to $10 pre-tax. 30% off.

As for the cheesecake, only the specialty ones that you cannot find are worth eating. My in-laws ordered fresh strawberry; like really? What a waste. Anyways...

The slices are generous but not insanely large, standard good size. Their cheesecakes are generally heftier/fuller.
Still pretty expensive, over $9 a slice...now if they had a group deal I could maybe think about it...but 12 slices of the same thing? Anyway, it's still $80 for a cheesecake, that's crazy. ...I'd give it to them that the taste is great (I tried the Godiva) and the size is standard but like you said it's quite heavy in wt.
Jul 20, 2012
496 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 10:36 pm
Cara food restaurants seem to be steering clear of Yorkdale. (Cassy's, when it was with Cara foods, and Milestones, to name the two I'm aware of)
Therefore, Pickle Barrel might be a good guess for first to close.
Not sure if you knew but Cara bought The Pickle Barrel in November.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11319 posts
1577 upvotes
Toronto
Brian71 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 8:17 pm
Not sure if you knew but Cara bought The Pickle Barrel in November.
Yes that is why I wrote what I wrote.
While I lean more toward the idea that Cara foods might not wish to run restaurants in Yorkdale, (ie no Casey's or Milestones, perhaps others also)
There is also the complimenting factor.
Even if Pickle Barrel DOES stay in Yorkdale,
Will they even keep that name?
Or simply change the name of another one of their restaurants to avoid "Overlap"?
Back in 2015, here is what Cara had to say about the importance of not having two similar restaurants:
"Since Cara merged with Prime Restaurants in 2013, it decided to phase out brands in its stable that have too much of an overlap. Casey’s, a 25-unit chain, will be converted into the larger Kelseys chain and other concepts such as Fionn McCool’s, beginning in July, Gregson said."
Source (near bottom): http://business.financialpost.com/news/ ... oost-sales

*I also know Casey's is running privately these days, but it was a Cara foods restaurant when it originally closed in Yorkdale.
Jan 26, 2017
103 posts
77 upvotes
HP_John wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 11:39 pm
LOL is this for real? There's literally hundreds of restaurants in the GTA with better food. Not even counting expensive restaurants (which there are tons that are better than Cheesecake Factory): in no particular order, Terroni, Pizzeria Libretto, Gio Rana's, Kinka, Kingyo, Messini, Little PIggy's, Han Ba Tang. I didn't bother to mention any expensive restaurant. Those are just a few that came to mind quickly. Heck, even Earl's & Joey are better too. 3 hr wait is ridiculous, my time is more valuable than that
LOL is this for real?
And Joey's?!? LOL LOL
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
4030 posts
330 upvotes
Bebo123 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 10:11 pm
LOL is this for real?
And Joey's?!? LOL LOL
I honestly believe the only excellent thing about Cheesecake Factory is portion size. Food itself is good but not great, not worth 3 hr wait. All the restaurants I named have better quality food, & I didn't bother to include any high end restaurants. Cheesecake Factory is for quantity, 3 hr wait doesn't match the level of quality. Cheesecake Factory is good for a franchise, but it really can't compare to a good independent place. Some people only eat at franchises or live in areas where there aren't many good independent places, for them, Cheesecake Factory may seem like the best restaurant they ever been to