Cheesecake Factory opening @ Yorkdale Mall this fall

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 25th, 2017 6:58 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
35488 posts
1861 upvotes
Toronto
I love this place... when i ordered the sliders appetizer... it felt like a plate of regular burgers. Ok not that big... but about the size of a small mcdonalds burger. That aint bite sized... lol
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
7517 posts
1004 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 1:17 am
I honestly don't know if they'll shrink portions or simply charge more, but there is some good news for those who hate to wait for a table:
They will simply charge a bit more as needed - portions will be the same. They have said clearly they will not change the menu at all for Toronto and they shouldn't. People love it for what it is in Buffalo or Chicago or wherever.

Personally I'm excited though we go when we are in Buffalo and Florida so I'm already there a couple of times a year.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
7517 posts
1004 upvotes
glover78 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 9:20 pm
There goes everyone's fitness goals. Good thing there arrival is after summer when the "beach bod" no longer matters :lol:
It's suppose to be a treat, not a regular dining spot.

Dinners out should be a treat regardless if you are at all interested in healthy living.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2003
9735 posts
1156 upvotes
Ottawa
Every CF I've been to has crazy wait times on the weekends. They seem to only open in locations that are touristy or very popular. It's usually a minimum hour wait if you show up on Saturday at 5. Luckily the pager system works well.

If they promised to keep the menu the same and portions the same, then definitely Moxies and others in the mall are going to feel the hurt, even if CF prices are higher. I guess they can absorb the customers that go there but find out the wait time is too long.

The food is ok, and at least at good as what you'll find at Moxies, but it's really the cakes that we like to have. Usually we try not to fill up too much so that we have room for cake.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2006
4292 posts
719 upvotes
Toronto
Hope they will be offering the same as in the US.

Remember Target Canada?
May 27, 2004
861 posts
126 upvotes
Labour costs in Ontario are almost double then most States and food costs are higher.
They would be smarter to charge higher prices and maintain the same portion sizes, rather then try and change that aspect.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2003
9735 posts
1156 upvotes
Ottawa
pakmode wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 12:01 pm
They would be smarter to charge higher prices and maintain the same portion sizes, rather then try and change that aspect.
exactly, people in Canada seem to hate the watered down aspect of retailers coming into Canada. Less selection and smaller portions would kill CF in Canada. As long as they offer MORE value than say, ordering at Kelsey or Moxies, then they will attract crowds who are seeking something a bit more special. I avoid most US chain restaurants because, to me, they are all the same average food at high prices. I don't think people would balk at a dish costing 30% more if they end up doggy bagging it and also having some for lunch the next day.

CF is something a little different and they have a winning formula that attracts people, they have to remember that people will reward places that stand out.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
1711 posts
436 upvotes
Global Village
GREAT NEWS! I always wondered why they didn't open 1 sooner, I guess the timing is perfect with CAD being where it is right now.

Expect 30mins+ waiting to be seated and a great meal for ~$30.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
7517 posts
1004 upvotes
Pochacco wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 11:06 am
Hope they will be offering the same as in the US.

Remember Target Canada?
Nothing like Target >> one outlet.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
2488 posts
781 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
glover78 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 9:20 pm
There goes everyone's fitness goals. Good thing there arrival is after summer when the "beach bod" no longer matters :lol:

Chicken bellagio and Godiva cheesecake here I come :)
Why were people downvoting your comment? What a bunch of grumps.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
2488 posts
781 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
There was a place called Cheesecake Cafe in Victoria some years back. Huge portions, great bakery section with ginormous cheesecakes, carrot cakes, etc. I'm assuming it was very much modelled after the Cheesecake Factory in the US. It didn't last more than a few years. It was good too.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
2488 posts
781 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 3:11 pm
I feel like the prices will be 50%-100% higher... they have to be at least 30% higher, given our crappy dollar. Then add the fact they are in Yorkdale with an insane demand.

Assuming quantity and quality stay exactly the same as in the US, I don't think this place will die down for a long while. At least not until they expand to other areas.
The prices will have to be considerably higher for sure. Also, we pay servers a lot more up here than they do down there too. Everything adds up. Food is way more expensive up here. No wonder Americans are a nation of fatties:)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
6543 posts
919 upvotes
pakmode wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 12:01 pm
Labour costs in Ontario are almost double then most States and food costs are higher.
San Francisco has a higher minimum wage than Ontario ($13 USD/hour), yet they managed to keep the same prices at their downtown San Francisco location. I wouldn't be surprised if they keep prices the same as in the U.S. (after the exchange rate of course).
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel