Page 3 of 4

Re: Cheetos crunchy - Flamin Hot with Limon

Posted: Dec 10th, 2009 4:12 pm
by Scotian Lotion
bonterra wrote:
Dec 10th, 2009 3:48 pm
Thanks for the "insider" information.

Any chance you can hint at the new stuff?

My pick for an interesting flavour would be Sea Salt and Malt Vinegar. Chip shop style.
I don't think I gave you any information. It can be assumed that any company (from food to car companies) come out with new crap in the new year, lol

While I see the sarcasm in your post, for those that don't know, we do have a SSMV chip. Miss Vickies, and it's been out for as long as Frito Lay has had acquisition of the brand.

The new flavours are a cheese flavoured Lays (which has been tried before) and a new Ruffles flavour which bears the name of a popular pub menu item.

Posted: Dec 10th, 2009 4:16 pm
by bonterra
Oh dear, there was no sarcasm meant in my post. Sincere apologies if it seemed that way at all.

I love new snacks and look for them to appear.

I'm also fascinated by the workings of the food industry and really enjoy hearing from people directly involved in it.

Posted: Dec 10th, 2009 4:26 pm
by jusane
I get a pack of the original Cheetos crunchy everytime im in the states.
Last time i went there, i saw a bunch of "Flamin' Hot" branded products, like Fun Yuns, Cheetos puff balls, and fries!

btw Pork Rinds are awful!

Posted: Dec 10th, 2009 4:32 pm
by callitasicit
jusane wrote:
Dec 10th, 2009 4:26 pm
Last time i went there, i saw a bunch of "Flamin' Hot" branded products, like Fun Yuns, Cheetos puff balls, and fries!

Those fries look pretty good, I love Tom's hot fries and usually pick up a bag or two when visiting Buffalo.

Posted: Dec 10th, 2009 4:36 pm
by 4flava
jusane wrote:
Dec 10th, 2009 4:26 pm

Oh DAMN!!.. I WANT!!! :mad:

Posted: Dec 10th, 2009 4:39 pm
by bonterra
callitasicit wrote:
Dec 10th, 2009 4:32 pm
Those fries look pretty good, I love Tom's hot fries and usually pick up a bag or two when visiting Buffalo.
Or the Andy Capp Hot Fries.

Posted: Dec 10th, 2009 6:31 pm
by callitasicit
bonterra wrote:
Dec 10th, 2009 4:39 pm
Or the Andy Capp Hot Fries.
Those are good too.

Posted: Dec 10th, 2009 7:00 pm
by bonterra
Scotian Lotion wrote:
Dec 10th, 2009 4:12 pm
we do have a SSMV chip. Miss Vickies, and it's been out for as long as Frito Lay has had acquisition of the brand.
Got some of those tonight at Wal-Mart. Thanks for the tip.

Posted: Dec 10th, 2009 11:05 pm
by Bookpreviews
Scotian Lotion wrote:
Dec 10th, 2009 1:54 pm
Sorry, but we already tried that.

We had:
Indian Masala
Spicy Curry
Tandoori Sizzler

... all three sizzled out and are no longer carried (in the GTA, anyways)

Sweet Chili Lays was introduced aimed at the east asian demographic and they are only hanging on by a thread.
Those crazy flavours only do well at small format level (in corner stores, 7-11's, etc in small bags that are picked up by kids on a junk food binge). The main force driving growth is with sales in Grocery/Walmart, where shoppers pass over the unknown and stick to their staple snacks.

Getting back to the what Asians would choose, in terms of satisfying their palette... you're probably right, but potato chips are not likely something a lot of Asian people bother to bring into their homes in the first place. I work all over the city, and when I think about what kind of people are tripping over me to buy chips when I am in a store for 3 hours... not very many of them are asian (unless they are filling their shopping cart to stock their convenience store). Most of them are white or black people, with the odd indian family picking up a few bags if their kid is screaming for them.

So what I said in my first post still stands. Bringing a unique flavour up here would likely be loved by a small following, it probably wouldn't do well enough to promote much growth in the category. Next time you're in a Walmart Supercenter, go to the chip aisle and count how many different Sku's Frito Lay have (everything between where the Lays start and the Tostitos end). Do you really think we don't have enough variety? lol

New stuff coming in January though, so stay tuned.
Funny you mention this as PC Loblaws has all these exotic chips and they seem quite popular.
Also, those flavored rice chips are always soldoutwhere I liv and those are expensive.

I thought with the expired chips they were usually sold at clearance shops, dollarama sometimes and on ebay I see "expired food lots" or mystery boxes for cheap...sounds like a weird idea but people were buying them.

I also just saw an article somewhere onine?maybe on how in the US there are some Amish shops and stores that only sell "expired" food items but super cheap and how they had more business because of the recession....

Posted: Dec 11th, 2009 1:15 am
by Nettles
Scotian Lotion wrote:
Dec 10th, 2009 1:54 pm
Sorry, but we already tried that.

We had:
Indian Masala
Spicy Curry
Tandoori Sizzler

... all three sizzled out and are no longer carried (in the GTA, anyways)

Sweet Chili Lays was introduced aimed at the east asian demographic and they are only hanging on by a thread.
That's because they were AWFUL. Especially the tandoori sizzler. I don't think it was because of a lack of interest. When it comes to chips, you don't have to be asian to enjoy spicy. Teh Sweet Chili Lays were terrible compared to sweet chilli doritos because they had a weird taste which was a mix between bbq and sour cream or onion. I guess not every flavour works for every texture of chips.

Btw, the onion ring shaped flamin cheetos are delicious. They also have little puff-ball snack shaped ones that are really hot.

Hmmm...everyone I know who's tasted flamin hot cheetos (not including older adults) enjoyed them. I dunno if they've even been tested in Canada though so I don't see how you can say they "wouldn't work."

Posted: Dec 11th, 2009 10:45 am
by rapsrealm
We have to figure out someway to organize a RFD group buy for some of these American goodies like certain chips and definetly some cereal!

Posted: Jun 15th, 2010 11:01 pm
by Aquabubble
I gotta bump this, because I am still craving some Flamin' Hot!!! How are these not in Canada yet? Everyone seems to love them...everyone seems to want them, so come on already!!!!

We have waited long enough! I might just have to go to Niagara Falls and walk across the rainbow bridge to hopefully find some bags on the other side. I love these THAT much.... :D

I remember Wal-mart used to carry them under their own brand a few years ago and then they just vanished :cry: I have called Fritolay about these in the past and I just get the typical "they are not available here but I will put in a request" and they send me a couple of coupons. There are sooooo many great different Cheetos products in the states and here we have NOTHING, so boring with no variety whatsoever.

Posted: Jun 15th, 2010 11:16 pm
by willyxjai

My stash of goodies during a weekend trip over the states :lol:

Posted: Jun 15th, 2010 11:20 pm
by willyxjai
Aquabubble wrote:
Jun 15th, 2010 11:01 pm
I gotta bump this, because I am still craving some Flamin' Hot!!! How are these not in Canada yet? Everyone seems to love them...everyone seems to want them, so come on already!!!!

We have waited long enough! I might just have to go to Niagara Falls and walk across the rainbow bridge to hopefully find some bags on the other side. I love these THAT much.... :D

I remember Wal-mart used to carry them under their own brand a few years ago and then they just vanished :cry: I have called Fritolay about these in the past and I just get the typical "they are not available here but I will put in a request" and they send me a couple of coupons. There are sooooo many great different Cheetos products in the states and here we have NOTHING, so boring with no variety whatsoever.
You can order flaming hot cheetos online, my friend bought a box of flaming cheetos that came in 12 canisters(130g) and with shipping it cost no more than $40.

Posted: Jun 15th, 2010 11:24 pm
by drizzz
you gotta try these: