ChefSteps Joule Sous Vide $229

Deal Link:
Price:
$229
Savings:
$20
Retailer:
ChefSteps
Joule is launching with free delivery and charging in Canadian dollars.

They have a few of the stainless steel units left too.

$20 bucks off, no need to deal with cross-border shipping or import taxes.

Preorder Your Joule!
The sleekest, smartest, dare-we-say sexiest sous vide tool has its sous vide bags packed and is headed to Canada. We’ve got a limited number* of flagship Joule Stainless for $20 off—and an even smaller quantity available for holiday delivery, too. So what are you waiting for?! The quicker you order, the quicker you’ll be cooking with Joule.

Get this stainless steal right. freaking. now.

Yes, there are cheaper options from Anova and Monoprice, but Joule works for those that prefer its easy to use app interface with recipes.
Last edited by rebel_rfd on Nov 14th, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
28 replies
Jun 4, 2011
37 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
Been through 6ish Nomikus before buying a Joule. I would not go back, this thing is amazing. The app is great, the device is small and light, drains instantly, heats fast. Probably the best sous vide on the market.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2434 posts
494 upvotes
Toronto
Havox07 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 3:58 pm
Been through 6ish Nomikus before buying a Joule. I would not go back, this thing is amazing. The app is great, the device is small and light, drains instantly, heats fast. Probably the best sous vide on the market.
I completely agree!

I imported back in January from Amazon.

It years up a lot faster, much more efficient, easy to clean and store away.

Works with Alexa, with Google Home coming soon.
Jun 6, 2017
21 posts
7 upvotes
Looks like it's only pre-order (delivery Dec 23rd) and $229 for both versions (stainless $20 off from $249).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2434 posts
494 upvotes
Toronto
nicoconda wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 4:02 pm
Looks like it's only pre-order (delivery Dec 23rd) and $229 for both versions (stainless $20 off from $249).
Looks like it's a tagged offer for $20 less.

When I click the link from my e-mail I still see $179/$199.

That's the one I posted above.

Still worthwhile at current prices since you aren't paying for the import taxes and fees from Amazon.com.

Edit: NVM, I think they forgot to adjust the pricing on the links before the email went out, as now the email link loads at $229 too.
Dec 14, 2011
824 posts
233 upvotes
London
meatwagon wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 5:05 pm
How much are you getting paid to post this?
Why would you ask this? It is a legit deal just for the fact that it is now available in Canada. I have an Anova, but when it dies I'll probably give the Joule a try.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2434 posts
494 upvotes
Toronto
I looked at the Anova before picking up the Joule and I paid import and currency fees since only Amazon.com carried it.

Like I wrote above, I find it much better than the Anova as its more compact, has more power and easy to follow recipes visually with the attached app.

They decided to offer it in Canada, just in time for the holiday season, so figured I share.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2434 posts
494 upvotes
Toronto
Drakestar wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 5:14 pm
Why would you ask this? It is a legit deal just for the fact that it is now available in Canada. I have an Anova, but when it dies I'll probably give the Joule a try.
I think he just prefers the Monoprice units he posted.

800 Watt Units versus 1100 Watt Joule and not blatantly copied from Anova.
Aug 18, 2011
191 posts
133 upvotes
North York
I also got the Joule, quick summary:

Pros:
-Smaller
-Heats faster (1100W)
-Quieter
-Magnetic base (for pots/containers that are magnetic)
-WiFi and Bluetooth (Depending which product you are comparing against)
-App/Visual Guide is very useful
-Looks better (subjective)

Cons:
-Costs more
-Must use app to control
-App requires account creation
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4581 posts
816 upvotes
Markham
Costs a lot more. Don't like that you Must use phone to monitor time left.

Power doesn't mean much if you heat up your water before you put on the unit.... Why would you use cool or warm water...I use hot tap water and also boil some water. Considering the food is cooking 2,3,4,5,24...48 Hours, what does another 10/20 minutes matter.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1224 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
I have an Anova and wish the Joule was available last year because I probably would have gotten that instead. The joule app is way better than the Anova app. I was hoping that since Anova was purchased by Electrolux that they would have the resources to redesign their app to compete with joule. So far there has not been any meaningful improvement on the recipes or the usability of the app.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2434 posts
494 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:03 pm
Costs a lot more. Don't like that you Must use phone to monitor time left.

Power doesn't mean much if you heat up your water before you put on the unit.... Why would you use cool or warm water...I use hot tap water and also boil some water. Considering the food is cooking 2,3,4,5,24...48 Hours, what does another 10/20 minutes matter.
Phone can be used to help guide you through cooking recipes. So your end result matches their end result.

Joule let's you set and forget it even when warming the water. Placed the pot on but had to go outside for a bit, Joule won't start the timer till your ready
More power is useful as Joule won't lose as much as heat as other units if you are cooking large pieces. How many times are you going to pour heated water to fill up a container to cook your holiday cuts?
Magnetic base means easy of use with existing pots.
Much more compact than the Anova when it comes to storage.

Anyways options are available for every type if consumer, for me, the extra money is worth it for Joule.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2007
1884 posts
172 upvotes
Having used the Anova for about two years, I don't see much that needs to be improved on. I'd opt to buy another Anova over having one Joule so I can sous vide multiple things at a time.

The Bluetooth Anova dropped to $100 around this time last year, I'd probably buy another and invest the rest in a Cambro poly container for it along with some insulation and still come out ahead if that deal comes around again this year.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2434 posts
494 upvotes
Toronto
Goonish wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:19 pm
Having used the Anova for about two years, I don't see much that needs to be improved on. I'd opt to buy another Anova over having one Joule so I can sous vide multiple things at a time.

The Bluetooth Anova dropped to $100 around this time last year, I'd probably buy another and invest the rest in a Cambro poly container for it along with some insulation and still come out ahead if that deal comes around again this year.
I've already picked up my cambros, it's also nice that they have precut lids for the Joule.

I'll be picking up a Breville Polysciene Smoking Gun to experiment with for thus holiday season.